Security is a virtue and that is why you turned to security locks such as the Schlage lock for your doors and windows. However, it becomes worrisome when you want to change the default lock code or you want to change your 4 digit Schlage lock code to something different. Therefore, in this article, we will take a look at how do I change my 4 digit Schlage lock code.
Schlage lock is designed in such a way that you need the lock 4 digit code to unlock the Schlage lock. You can keep using the default 4 digit lock code though but it’s advisable to change the code to something preferable if you find it difficult to memorize the default Schlage lock code.
While we will consider the 4 digit Schlage lock code, we discovered that there are different Schlage locks out there with a default lock that can easily be changed.
However, while we consider the guides to how do I change my 4 digit Schlage lock code, we will also take a look at the steps to take add another 4 digit code to your Schlage lock depending on the Schlage lock version.
What is Schlage Lock Code?
The Schlage lock code is a 4 digit or 6 digit [at max as at the time of writing this article] to unlock your Schlage lock instead of beckoning on the key to unlocking the lock.
However, the Schlage lock code sends a signal to the lock and flashes a green light to indicate that the code has been accepted to unlock your Schlage lock.
How does Schlage 4 Digit Lock Code Work?
Schlage lock has a master code or default code to unlock the Schlage lock when the code is typed correctly. However, when the Schlage unlock code is entered using the lock button, the Schlage lock button will light as you press the code.
However, the orange light on the Schlage lock when pressing the button indicates that the lock is in the program mode.
If the Schlage unlock code is entered correctly, the security lock will blink green light twice indicating that the code is accepted and red when you entered the wrong Schlage 4 digit lock code.
Schlage Lock Code Colour
Before we move to how do I change my 4 digit Schlage lock code, let me quickly explain what each of the Schlage button lights indicates as this will enable you to understand the light signal when entering your Schlage 4 digit lock code.
- Orange Light: If the Schlage button flashes orange light once it implies that the lock is in a program mode.
- Green Light: This indicates that the 4 digit code is accepted.
- Red Light: Schlage lock red light flashes when you entered the wrong unlock code.
Now that you can read meaning to the Schlage light you should know better now.
What is Schlage Default Code
The Schlage lock has a default programming code to unlock your Schlage lock. Therefore, you will get to know where to find your Schlage default code here.
To find your Schlage default code or programming code to unlock your Schlage lock, unpack your Schlage, remove the manual from the package, locate a white label on the manual and your Schlage default lock code should be printed on it.
How to Delete All Schlage Door Lock Code
You can add an extra Schlage lock code to an existing code on the security lock. Therefore, you may need to change your 4 digit Schlage lock code before adding a new lock code.
Therefore, here we’ll need to consider how to delete all Schlage door lock codes before progressing to how I changed my Schlage 4 digit lock code.
- Enter your Schlage programming 6 digits unlock code.
- Wait until the lock flashes a green light to show that the code is accepted. After then, the Schlage door lock will also beep three times.
- Press the “Schlage” button on the Schlage lock.
- Press the “6” key on the Schlage button and wait until the Schlage light flashes green three times and beep three times.
- Enter the 6 digit programming or default code once the lock beep three times to complete the process.
To confirm that all the Schlage door lock codes have been deleted or wiped off, the green light will flash once and followed by beep.
Meanwhile, you can choose to delete the Schlage 4 digit lock code from the Schlage door lock one after the other instead of deleting the entire lock code from the Schlage door once. For a complete guide on how to delete all Schlage door lock codes kindly consider this article.
How Do I Change my 4 Digit Schlage Lock Code
The process to change your 4 digit Schlage lock code is straightforward. However, to change your code, you have to delete the existing code following the steps above and add another one.
Therefore, you can learn how I changed my 4 digit Schlage lock code following the steps below.
- Enter your Schlage lock “Schlage default programming code.”
- Wait until the lock light flashes green light three times.
- After that, the lock will beep three times.
- Enter your Schlage 4 digit lock code you want to change.
- If the code is correct, the Schlage lock light will flash green light three times and beep three times.
- Enter the 4 digit code using the Schlage buttons once again to complete the process.
- Once the code matches the previous code the Schlage door light will flash green light and beep [once].
That is all you need to know about how do I change my Schlage 4 digit lock code.
How to Reset Schlage Keypad Lock without Programming Code
We would have loved it suppose there is a way to reset the Schlage keypad lock without programming code. But, to reset your Schlage keypad you need to provide the programming code.
With that said, we will take a look at how to reset your Schlage keypad here.
- Disconnect the Schlage lock battery.
- Press and hold down the Schlage button on the Schlage lock.
- Reconnect the Schlage battery while you are still holding the Schlage button.
- Release the Schlage button once you have inserted the battery.
Your Schlage door lock will be reset. However, to confirm that your Schlage door lock was reset successfully, press and hold the Schlage Button and enter one of the Schlage 4 digit lock codes.
How to Change the 4 Digit Code on a Schlage Lock FE595
Here is how to change the 4 digit code on a Schlage lock FE959 in a step-by-step process.
- Enter the Schlage default programming code.”
- Wait for the light to confirm the code followed by beeps [up to three times].
- Press the Schlage button on the outside.
- Press “1″ immediately you remove your hand from the Schlage button.
- Type the new Schlage 4 digit code and wait for the Schlage door lock to beep three times.
- Re-enter the same 4 digit code once again to confirm the new Schlage unlock code.
Once the code is confirmed, the Schlage door light will turn green followed by a long beep to confirm that the new user code has been added successfully.
How to Change Code on Schlage Lock BE489WB
The BE489WB is another version of the Schlage lock. However, the process below explains the steps to take to change the code on Schlage lock BE489WB.
- Enter the 6 digit Schalge lock BE489WB programing code.
- Once your BE489WB lock is in the programming mode press 8 on the Schlage door lock.
- Enter the new Schlage lock BE489WB code to unlock your BE489WB lock.
- Enter the user code again to confirm the initial user code.
Once the user code is confirmed the light indicator will turn green followed by beeps.
How to Reset Schlage Keypad Lock
Suppose you forget your Schlage keypad lock code and would love to restore the Schlage lock to default here are the steps to take.
- Remove the Schlage door lock battery.
- Press the “Outside Schlage” button on the outside.
- Reconnect the Schlage lock battery.
- Press and hold the Schlage button for a couple of seconds until the green light illuminate followed by a long beep.
Now that you have reset the Schlage door lock completely, you need to use the default programming code to add a new user to the security lock following the steps above.
This article explains how do I change my 4 digit Schlage lock code and how to perform some other tasks on your Schlage lock such as deleting all users on your Schlage lock and resetting your Schlage lock.