As far as technology goes, there will be certain glitches that hinder efficient productivity. Of course, we can’t be oblivious to those things we have benefitted from and still benefitting from through technology. One benefit is certainly being able to effectively conjure this How To fix Dell Laptop black screen article.
But we also mean it when we say that; while we expect our tech products to naturally operate smoothly whenever we run them, there are still certain hurdles that are thrown our way. Say ‘Hello’ to black screens on laptops.
What you face with the Dell Laptop black screen
It is always upsetting when you’re working on a particular assignment or project, and everything seems to be working perfectly fine until you see a black screen. We do not know the kind of temperament you have, so yours may be the kind that grows distressed immediately, or you may be the more angry type, smashing your screen on the wall (please don’t do that, think of the cost of acquiring that system). But whatever it is, the foundational question is usually and expectedly, “what is wrong with my screen?”
Our answer will be; Don’t panic, we’re going home. Whatever the case may be, you can fix your PC, and we have got these methods for you!
1. Restart your Graphics Drivers to Fix Dell Laptop Black Screen
Do you want to fix that Dell black screen problem? Try restarting your graphic drivers.
Whenever you run into a black screen problem, you can always try the keyboard shortcut. To do this, press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B at the same time. This combination will supposedly help restart your PC’s graphics drivers.
Your Dell laptop black screen error could be caused by a bad connection between the operating system and monitor. With that being possible, try combining the hotkeys to reconnect the display. That didn’t work? Try this next fix.
2. Force Shut Down your Laptop
The no brainer option? Your Dell laptop won’t be working as it usually does anyway. You can attempt these options;
Disconnect all external devices or peripherals from your system. External devices could include the printer, Bluetooth, or USB devices.
• Switch off your PC by pressing the Power button for 10 to 20 seconds.
• Disconnect the AC adapter and extract the battery intact.
• Long hold the power button for roughly 60 seconds to drain the left out battery charge.
• Proceed to return the battery and then plug in the charger.
• Now bring our laptop back to life with the power button.
If your PC still does not display the desired result, then it might be time to navigate to Safe Mode to fix it.
3. Boot into Safe Mode to Fix Dell Laptop Black Screen
- It is possible to limit the source of black attack when you boot your system into Safe mode.
- How to enter Safe Mode
• Your Dell PC must be off. If it isn’t, simply turn it off.
• Put on your laptop using the Power button.
• Press down the Shift key before tapping the F8 key before the Windows logo shows up. By doing this, you will bring out the Recovery Mode menu.
• If you couldn’t enter Safe Mode at the first try, then try again. You may need to try out several attempts before it works.
• When in the Recovery Mode menu, select the ‘See advanced repair’ options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart. Following this is a list of options. Select 5 or F5 to asses Safe Mode with the network connection.
- How to enter Safe Mode
You can try to uninstall the newly installed applications and then perform a virus scan to get rid of the black screen on your Dell PC. Does the black screen persist? Head to the next solution.
2. Connect to an External Display.
To perform this;
Hit Windows logo key + P to bring up the display list. Select different display options to other attached displays such as TV or a second monitor and press P or down arrow key to select a display and then hit Enter.
4. Updating Graphics Driver
Black screen problem may occur if the graphics driver is outdated. Improving computer performance is a necessary action to take and the latest graphics should always be installed.
Update your graphics card manually or automatically with Driver Easy. Does the problem persist? Consult the next fix!
5. Restart your explorer.exe process
Explorer.exe works at managing your PC’s desktop, taskbar, and other processes. Your screen goes black if the explorer.exe is not working. You will need to restart the process to see if the problem can be solved. To do this;
• Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at the same time on your keyboard to open Task Manager.
• Hit the Details tab, then select explorer.exe and click End task. If you are operating a Windows 7, then you’ll have to hit the Processes tab instead of the Details tab for Windows 10.
• Restart your computer to determine if the black screen is off the screen.
6. Reset/Update Bios
Your Dell black screen problem could have another reason why it may occur, as in the case of possessing a corrupt bios settings or outdated bios version. You can reset the bios first to see if it solves the black screen problem.
7. Restart your laptop.
At the display of the Dell logo, press the F2 or F12 key multiple times. You will see ‘Entering Setup’ on the upper right corner.
Hit F9 (or Alt + F, or the load defaults button shown on the screen) to load default settings.
Hit the ESC key to exit the BIOS screen and be sure to select the Save and Exit option.
8. Clean reinstall Windows
Do note that taking this action means you will lose all your personal information and critical data will be erased in the process, so please make sure you’ve backed up all data to an external storage device before proceeding.
Clean reinstall Windows is considered a last resort where other methods fail.
To do this;
• Prepare your recovery media (DVD or USB).
• Make sure your laptop is off.
• Connect the recovery media to your laptop.
• Turn your laptop on.
• When the Dell logo pops up, hit on the F12 key multiple times. You will see the Preparing one-time boot menu.
• At the boot menu, go to UEFI BOOT, select USB or DVD- typically the device that matches your media type.
• Choose the keyboard language you prefer to use.
• Hit ‘Troubleshoot’ at the ‘Choose an option’ screen.
• Select the option to recover from a drive.
Certainly, this eliminates the black screen demon!