Are you an Android or iOS user and you want to check your data usage but you don’t know how to go about it? Or do you want to manage and reduce the rate at which you consume data monthly? Well, this article will show you how to check your data usage on Android, iPhone, or iPad and how to manage your data usage.
You may need to monitor your data usage from time to time so as not to use too much data with several apps on Google and Apple Play Store and the several game streaming platforms available at your fingertips.
Even though some carriers are more generous with data compared to others, most unlimited plans usually have a usage threshold, once you go beyond this threshold, your service may be restrained or you may have to pay so much for it.
However, to get the most accurate data usage from a specific period, you may need to contact your carrier. With the help of the default Android data monitoring function, you can avoid slower speeds and having to pay more for data.
You can as well set a data limit for your monthly cycle and enable the Data Saver mode to reduce background use.
How to Check your Data Usage on Android Phone or Tablet
Follow the steps below carefully to check how much cellular data you have used so far if you are using a Google Pixel phone or an Android phone or tablet.
- Swipe up from the Home screen and click open the app drawer icon.
- Locate and open the Settings app (the gear icon).
- Navigate to the Network & Internet menu or click on Connections.
- Choose SIMs.
- Click on App data usage from the following menu.
- Now, check the set cycle, overall data consumption in that period, and data usage by installed apps.
A data usage graph usually displays important details such as billing cycle, data usage limit, data usage warning limit, and total consumption by installed apps on the phone.
How to Enable Data Saver mode on Android phones
In case you are always running out of mobile data, you can enable Data Saver mode and reduce your data usage by preventing apps from using data in the background. You can do this by following the steps below:
- Open the Network & Internet menu on your Android phone.
- Click on Data Saver.
- Turn the Use Data Saver option on.
How to enable Data Saver Mode from the Quick Settings Menu
In case you wish to enable data saver mode from the Quick Settings Menu, follow the steps below:
- Swipe down from the top and open the notification center.
- Swipe down again and open the Quick Settings menu.
- Click on the pencil icon to open the Edit menu.
- Finally, scroll down, then drag and drop the Data Saver tile in the quick toggles menu.
That’s it! Now, you have successfully enabled data saver mode from the Quick Settings Menu on your Android phone.
How to Check your Data Usage on iPhone
In case you have limited cellular data on your phone plan, there’s a simple way to check and manage your data usage if you are using an iPhone.
You can as well determine which iPhone apps take up the most data and adjust your usage accordingly.
Follow the steps below to check your data usage on your iPhone:
- Navigate to your iPhone Settings and open it.
- Click on the section that reads “Cellular.”
- You will see a section that reads “Current Period” on this screen.
- The number to the right of “Current Period” indicates how much data you have used so far.
- Below this, you will see different apps with a number below them. This shows how much data you have used on each app.
- You can as well turn off the green button next to each app to stop an app from using cellular data.
- If you are not certain what your “Current Period” is, you can scroll to the bottom of this screen.
- Just below “Reset Statistics,” you will see the term “Last Reset” with a date.
- Your “Current Period” data usage number usually starts with this date.
- In case you are trying to measure your data usage about your cellular billing cycle, you can tap on “Reset Statistics,” which will reset the “Current Period” of your data usage.
- Tap on “Reset Statistics” again once it pops up, and you are good to go!
How to Check How Much Data you are using
You can check how much data you are using if you are using an iPad.
- Scroll down to locate the apps that are using cellular data.
- In case you don’t want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app.
- Once cellular data is off, the apps will use only Wi-Fi for data.
- To see the cellular data usage for individual System Services, navigate to Settings >> Cellular or Settings >> Mobile Data.
- Now, click on System Services in the list under Cellular Data.
- Note that Cellular data can’t be turned on or off for individual System Services.
- You can check the data-usage statistics for an app from the present period, or view app data statistics for apps that use data when you were roaming.
- To reset these statistics, go to Settings >> Cellular or Settings >> Mobile Data, and click on Reset Statistics.
- If you are using an iPhone with Dual SIM, you can see how much cellular data you have used with your chosen cellular data number.
How to Check your Data Usage with AT&T
You can also check your data usage with AT&T, it’s one of the easiest ways to check data usage and all you need to do is simply dial *3282# (*DATA#).
In case you are on a family plan, you will still be able to see the usage for each of the numbers on your account.
The myATT app (which is available on Google Play and Apple App Store) gives you a smooth interface to control how your data gets used.
To prevent future surprises when it’s time to subscribe, we recommend you use the myATT app to set up data alerts and receive text messages once you reach the set threshold. The myATT app’s Stream Saver feature allows you to limit the resolution on most videos to 480p.
How to Check your Data Usage with Verizon
Verizon offers several ways to monitor and control your data usage, including a text summary. You can easily dial #3282 (#DATA) to get a text alert summarizing your data use.
Verizon will also repeat the information verbally once you stay on the line.
The My Verizon app (available on both Google Play and the Apple App Store) allows you to set data usage alerts, see who and which apps are using data, and also set limits by app or user.
The My Verizon app’s safety mode also allows you to keep using data once you have reached your monthly allowance, but at reduced speeds. It’s a great alternative to prevent you from incurring data overage charges.
How to Check your Data Usage with T-Mobile
Once you reach 80% and 100% of your account’s minutes, texts, and data, you will get a text message. You can as well check anytime by dialling #WEB# (#932#).
T-Mobile’s app helps with basic data use reporting, alongside managing its Binge On feature. Once enabled, Binge On optimizes video as you stream it to limit data usage.
How to Check your Data Usage with Sprint
To check your data usage with Sprint, you need to log in to your Sprint account online first, then dial * 4 to get a verbal summary of your text, data, and message usage.
You will also get an option to receive your usage by text as well.
In case you are using a family plan, the main account holder will automatically receive alerts once any user reaches 75%, 90%, and 100% of their plan’s allowance.
Isn’t that amazing? My Sprint Mobile is also available on Google Play and Apple App Store.