Face id is a security feature on iPhone that you can use to secure your phone from unauthorized access; however, face id not working on iPhone can cause a huge problem, as you might be unable to access your phone.
Face ID is one of the best security measures you can put in place on your iPhone because even if someone steals your password or has unauthorized access to your phone unlock pattern, they can always open your phone.
However, if your security measure is the Face ID, they cannot pretend to be you as your face, and theirs will clearly be different, so they would be unable to access your iPhone without your permission.
Although, face id not working on iPhone becomes an issue for even you, the owner, because even if you are trying to use your face to unlock your phone, the phone will not respond.
This article will look at possible troubleshooting methods you can employ to resolve the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
Why is Face ID not Working on iPhones?
There are a couple of known reasons for face id not working on iPhone, and some of the common reasons are:
- Face ID is not activated.
- Your face is not fully visible.
- Something is blocking the true depth camera.
- Your current operating system needs to be updated.
The next section of the article will look at some of the possible solutions to resolve the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
You can also check out How To Unlock your iPhone Without a Passcode Or Face ID.
How to Resolve Face ID not Working on iPhone.
The issue of face id not working on iPhone can be quite worrying, but thankfully, the solutions to resolve the issue require little to no technical know-how or expertise.
Some troubleshooting methods to resolve the issue are explained in this article section.
Check your Face ID Settings
The first step you should take to resolve the issue of face id not working on iPhone is to check that you actually have face id set up correctly on your phone.
If the settings are not in the right place, then face id will not work on your iPhone.
You can check your face id settings by following the instruction below.
- Go to the settings app on your iPhone.
- Then select face id and passcode.
- If the reset face id option appears on your screen, it means that you have already set up your face id.
- If you did not see that option, follow the prompts to set up the face id.
- Also, confirm that iPhone Unlock, iTunes & App Store, Wallet & Apple Pay, and Password AutoFill are all turned on, so you can use your face id to unlock them.
Once you have set up your face id, you can use it to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
Confirm that Nothing is Blocking the True Depth Camera
Face ID uses the true depth camera to take your picture and confirm that it is really you that is trying to unlock the iPhone, so if something which can either be a screen protector or dirt is blocking the true depth camera, the face id might not work.
If your screen protector is blocking the camera, ensure that you remove it.
If it is dirt preventing the camera from functioning correctly, you should use a clean, dry cloth to gently wipe away the dirt.
Once you have removed anything that might be obstructing the camera, you can use the face id to unlock your phone to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
Ensure that your Face is Completely Visible to the Camera
The true depth camera requires that your face, eyes, nose, and mouth are discernible to ensure that it is you trying to unlock your phone.
While the face id will typically work even when you are wearing sunglasses, some sunglasses might be blocking the infrared light used by the camera from accessing your eyes, and because of this, the face id will not work.
If you are wearing sunglasses and cannot use your face id on your phone, it might be helpful to remove the sunglasses.
Also, due to the pandemic in 2020, you can now use face id with a mask, although you’d have to set it up, so if you are yet to do the setup, you will have to remove the mask before using face id.
If you are wearing masks after you have set up face id with the mask, ensure that the mask is not too high or too close to your eyes and that you lift your phone a little higher than you usually would to unlock it with face id.
Ensure that You are Facing the TrueDepth Camera
You have to be facing the true depth camera for you to be able to unlock your iPhone using your face id.
The face id will only work on your iPhone when the iPhone is only in portrait orientation; it would not work for any other orientation.
Also, ensure that you are holding your iPhone in a natural position and that the camera is about 10 to 20 inches away from your face.
Recommended: How to Fix iPhone TrueDepth Camera not Working
Restart your iPhone
Sometimes the reason for the face id not working on iPhone will have to do with a minor glitch on the device that can quickly be resolved by restarting the iPhone.
All you have to do is to turn off your iPhone and turn it on after a couple of minutes.
You can then unlock your iPhone using your passcode and try to use the face id to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
Add an Alternate Appearance
If you have a look that is vastly different from your other looks, e.g., you wear glasses, then you should add an alternate appearance of you wearing glasses to your face id, so it can know that it is you when you are on glasses.
You can set up an alternate appearance by following the instructions below.
- Go to your iPhone settings, click on face id and passcode, and input your passcode if prompted.
- Then click on set up an alternate appearance.
- Then look straight into your iPhone and ensure that your face is placed in the frame.
- Then move your head gently to complete the circle or click on the accessibility options if you cannot move your head.
- After the first face id scan has been completed, click on continue, then move your head around the circle again to complete the second face scan.
- Then select done to complete the setup process.
Once you have done this, you will no longer encounter the issue of face id not working on iPhone if you are on the alternate appearance.
Reset the Face ID
If you have tried different troubleshooting solutions with no success, the next step would be to reset the face id.
You can reset your face id by following the instructions below.
- Go to your iPhone settings, tap face id and passcode, and input your passcode if prompted.
- Then click on reset face id, and select set up face id.
- Then follow the prompts on your screen to set up your new face id.
Once you have done this, you can attempt to use the face id to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
Check for Updates
If a new update is available for your iPhone’s operating system, your face id might malfunction because you have yet to install the new update.
You can update the software of your device operating system by following the instructions below.
- Go to your iPhone settings and click on general.
- Then click on the software to check for the availability of a new update.
- Then click on download and install if there is an update available.
- Finally, tap done once the update is completed.
Once you have updated your operating system, you can use face id to confirm that you have resolved the issue of the face id not working on iPhone.
How to Resolve Face ID not Working on iPhone 12
There are different solutions you can use to resolve the issue of face id not working on iPhone 12, and some of the common solutions are:
- Check your face id settings to confirm that it is appropriately set up.
- Ensure that nothing obstructs the true depth camera and that you are facing the camera squarely.
- Reset the face id.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Update your iPhone operating system if an update is available.
Any or all of these solutions will help you resolve the issue of face id not working on iPhone 12.
How to Fix Face ID not Working on iPhone 12
If face id is not working on your iPhone 12, you can quickly fix it by using any or all of the possible solutions listed below.
- Confirm that you have your face id adequately set up on your iPhone.
- Ensure that your face is completely visible to the camera and that nothing is blocking the true depth camera.
- Reset the face id.
- Restart your phone.
- Update the operating system of your device.
After using any or all of these solutions, you should attempt to use the face id to confirm that you have been able to fix the issue of the face id not working on iPhone 12.
This article has adequately discussed the various troubleshooting solutions you can employ to resolve the issue of face id not working on iPhone. If you have tried all of the solutions without success, you should reach out to the Apple customer support team for further assistance.