If you are frustrated with no sound on iPad here is an article for you. No sound on iPad isn’t a new problem. A whole lot of iPad users are victims of no sound on iPad.
However, if you are one of these victims consider this article a breakthrough as we will discuss explicitly how to fix no sound on your iPad without spending a dime.
Why is there no Sound on iPad?
There are a lot of reasons why your iPad audio might not be audible, ranging from simple reasons such as a wrong or incorrect setting that can be easily fixed to a software issue which can be more challenging to resolve due to a small bug or a major system error.
Other reasons such as physical issues may cause your speaker to malfunction.
This can be a result of water intrusion, wear and tear over time, or dropping your iPad too hard on the floor on hard surfaces.
How to Fix No Sound on iPad
Whatever the cause may be, you can try any of the fixes below to fix the no sound on your iPad problem:
Turn off Silent Mode and Turn up Your Volume
It’s advisable to start with the simple steps below:
- Ensure that your device is not in Silent Mode; this can prevent your iPhone from being audible and prevent some apps from playing audio.
- Also, make sure you turn up your volume.
- Putting your device in silent Mode is similar to vibration mode, as this feature mutes particular sounds like notifications and incoming calls and even some apps like games if you forget to turn it back off.
To turn Silent Mode off, try the following steps:
- Flip your iPad mute switch on the side so that it isn’t red.
- If your iPad doesn’t have a mute switch, you’ll need to open Control Center. You can do this by swiping down from the top-right of your iPad or up from the bottom of your iPad depending on your iPad model.
- After opening Control Center, look for the bell icon. Tap the bell icon to switch it to neutral.
- If you don’t have a mute switch and don’t see the option to disable/enable Silent Mode in Control Center, open the Settings app on your iPad. Tap Control Center, then click the green + icon next to the Silent Mode option.
Turn up the Volume
Another method you can try is to turn up your iPad’s volume. This can be done by tapping the Volume Up button. You can as well go to Settings >> Sounds and check if the Ringer and Alerts volumes are high. Move the slider back and forth to make sure that the levels are at the appropriate place you want them to be.
Check if you are connected to a Bluetooth Device
Another reason why you may be having no sound on iPad is if your device is connected to another Bluetooth device. Your device might be connected to another Bluetooth device, such as a speaker or headphone, without even knowing and your audio will be playing from there instead of your iPad.
To turn off Bluetooth, try the following steps:
- Check if you’re connected to a Bluetooth device. Go to Settings and tap Bluetooth. If any of the devices in your Bluetooth settings say Connected, tap the blue i icon and tap Disconnect.
- Disable Bluetooth by swiping the Control Center open and swiping down from the top-right of your iPad or up from the bottom of your iPad (depending on your model). Tap the Bluetooth icon in the connectivity panel.
- Play the sound again and check if the audio has been restored.
Recommended: How to make iPad louder
Reset Network Settings
At times, simply resetting your network settings can fix common issues on your iPad. To do this, go to
- Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset Network Settings.
Now, check to find out if your device’s audio has returned.
Unplug or Disconnect your Headphones
If you do not get audio sound on your headphone while it is connected to your iPhone, then solving this will be a bit different.
The primary thing is to first check if something is wrong with the headphones or if there’s a connection between your iPad and headphones.
If this is the case, you can try the following steps below:
Try a different pair of headphones
You can switch your headphones if you have another pair of headphones. If the new headphones work, then it’s most likely your current headphones are busted. If the new ones don’t work either, then it’s likely your iPad is faulty.
Clean your iPad’s Aux port
If your iPad is connected to the headphones through the headphone jack, you can try cleaning it. To do this, unplug your headphones and blow forcefully into the headphone jack or use canned air. Do not put anything into the headphone jack as a means of cleaning it.
Forget and Reconnect Bluetooth headphones
You can forget and reconnect Bluetooth headphones or AirPods to play sound again. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings on your iPad and select Bluetooth. Find the headphones you want to reset and tap the blue “I” icon next to them.
- Select Forget This Device.
- Reconnect the headphones all over again
If this does not solve the no sound on iPad issue, proceed to the next troubleshooting steps below.
Update iPad OS to the Latest Version
Some devices might not work properly until you install the new iOS when there’s a new one. Although some iPads with the most recent iOS 15 also have this no-sound issue, you can try fixing it by updating the OS. You can check if there is a new OS update available for download by going to Settings >> General >> Software Update.
Updating your iPad OS to the latest version should fix the no sound on iPad problem, however, if it doesn’t, proceed to the next fix below.
Force Restart your iPad
If after you have updated your iOS, the iPad sound is still not working, then you can try force restarting your device. You can carry out this process using the steps below.
If your device doesn’t have a Home button, like the 2020 iPad Pro, you need to follow these steps:
- Press down the Volume Up button and then, long-press the Volume Down button.
- Push and hold down the Power button, which is located at the top of the iPad until you can see the Apple logo on the screen.
If your iPad possesses a Home button, follow these steps:
- Press and hold down both the Power and Home buttons at the same time.
- Keep pressing them until your iPad turns off.
- Once the Apple logo appears on the device’s screen, you can release the buttons.
Contact Apple Support
If you’ve tried all the above fixes, and you still can’t get your iPad sound back, contact Apple Support and ask them for advice.
We hope this article was helpful and you learned a thing or two about how to fix no sound on iPad. Let us know your thoughts by using the comments section below.