iMessage is Apple’s free messaging app that is exclusively available on Apple devices. It can be quite frustrating when you suddenly get a message from the iMessage app saying “signed out of iMessage” as this prevents you from sending or receiving new messages.
How do you resolve this and regain access to the iMessage app on your iOS device?
Well, we have the solution for you in this article. In this guide, you will learn how to troubleshoot and fix signed out of iMessage app.
Why am I Getting the Signed out of iMessage Error Message?
The iMessage service often causes account issues with iMessage itself. Most users have reported that the app usually worked once they are logged in with another Apple ID.
Although iMessage requires an Apple ID or a phone number before it can function, therefore being signed in is a requirement before you are allowed to send messages on the service.
At times, you can get logged out of iMessage, which could be the reason why you are seeing this right now. The following are the reasons why you are getting the signed out of iMessage error:
- This error can be triggered accidentally or due to a bug in the system.
- When iMessage or your smartphone is wrongly configured, you will get this error.
- An unreliable internet connection can also cause the signed out of iMessage error message. Therefore, you can try connecting to Wi-Fi when trying to fix this or simply move to somewhere with better coverage.
However, most of the main causes of these errors are easily fixed once you know what to do, which is why the troubleshooting steps below are quite easy and simple to understand.
How to fix Signed out of iMessage Error
The signed out of iMessage error message you get while logged in to the app can be quite frustrating. Follow the steps below to fix the signed out of iMessage error below:
Restart your iPhone
Restarting your phone may be very helpful. It will not delete any data from your phone, moreover, if this doesn’t work, it will help in making other fixes and solutions you try thereafter work properly.
Check iMessage Server
Before you go through other longer fixes, it’s better to start with the simpler ones like checking if the problem is from Apple’s end by visiting Apple’s System Status page to find out if iMessage is down or not. In case of any planned system maintenance from Apple, you will be notified by Apple.
A green dot in front of iMessage means your app is working as it should while a red dot means the iMessage service is having issues. You may need to wait until the problem is fixed by apple in case of a red dot.
Check if iMessage is Enabled
iMessage can get turned off unknowingly, and that can cause the error. If iMessage is turned off, simply turning it on should fix the error.
To enable iMessage on your phone, use the following steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Go to Messages.
- Tap the slider next to iMessage. If it’s enabled, disable it and then enable it again.
Log in using your correct Apple ID
The “iMessage is signed out” error can also be fixed by logging in using your correct Apple ID. To do this use, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings >> Message >> Send & Receive.
- Ensure that your Apple ID is added; if not, tap Use your Apple ID for iMessage to log in.
- Tap Apple ID and select Sign out from the pop-up to reset the ID.
- Restart your device and Sign in to the Apple ID again.
Reset iMessage Region on iPhone
To Reset the iMessage Region on iPhone, use the following steps:
- Go to Settings >> Message
- Select Send & Receive >> tap Apple ID
- Select Change Location >> select Region >> select current region & press Save.
If this doesn’t work, check if your Date & Time settings are correct. You can set the accurate time zone using the next steps.
Ensure the iPhone has the correct date and time
To set the correct date and time, use the following steps:
- Go to Settings and tap General.
- Select Date & Time and see if the time zone is correct.
- Tap the slider next to Set Automatically.
If setting the date and time to the correct details doesn’t fix this issue, try the next solution below.
Delete Old Messages
It’s possible for old messages that have gotten corrupted over time to trigger this problem. To rectify this problem, check the message thread you were on when you received the error and delete that thread from your phone. Reopen a new chat and attempt the action again and see if it is resolved.
Reset Network Settings
First, check your Wi-Fi or mobile data to see if your internet connection is working or not on your device. You can verify this by launching your web browser to open any web page and check if you have internet access. If the internet is working, then, you can go ahead and reset your network settings. You can use the following steps to reset your network settings:
- Open Settings >> General.
- Scroll down and select Reset.
- Select Reset Network Settings on the next screen.
If resetting network settings does not fix the signed out of iMessage error, then you can proceed to the next fix.
Update Your iPhone
Usually, updates for the iMessage app are done through the software update feature on your phone, therefore, updates to the iMessage app that might have fixed the bug may not have been installed on your phone.
You can update your iPhone to the latest version using the steps below:
- Plug your phone into charging and make sure it’s connected to Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose General > Software Update.
- Check if there are available updates and download and Install if there are any.
You can also turn on an automatic update so that you can get any updates that come out in the future installed and ready to go immediately.
If all the above fixes failed, then contact Apple Support or take the iPhone to a local Apple Store near you.
We hope this article was helpful to you. What are the other issues you have with your iPhone if you have any? Let us know your thoughts and questions in the comment section below. This is all about how to fix the signed out of iMessage.