Do you own a TV that requires you to pair a TV remote to it before the remote can be used to control the TV, and you are wondering how you can go about this? Then this article is for you, as we will explain how you can pair a TV remote to a TV.
Before the advent of smart TVs, you usually just needed to have remote control of the same type as your TV, and you will be able to use the remote without necessarily needing to pair the remote with the TV.
Many people now prefer using smart TVs due to the additional features and benefits it gives compared to traditional TVs, but if you use a smart TV, you most times have to pair the remote with it before the remote can function.
You can learn how to pair a remote TV to a TV by reading through the next section of this article.
How to Pair a TV Remote to a TV
If you own a TV that requires that you pair a TV remote to it before the remote can be used to control the TV, you can follow the steps written below to pair a TV remote.
- Press the program button(which might be labeled as PRG on some remote) on the remote until the LED light turns on.
- Then press the TV button on the remote, if it is a universal remote, to make the remote know that it is pairing with a TV.
- If prompted, input the code for your TV and wait for the devices to pair.
Once the TV and the remote have successfully paired, you can begin to navigate and perform other operations on your TV using the remote.
You can also check out How to Fix Sony TV Remote Not Working.
How to Pair Remote to TV (Samsung)
The Samsung smart TV requires you to pair its remote to it before you can use it to perform any operations, such as changing channels or turning the TV volume up or down.
You can pair a TV remote to your Samsung TV by following the steps below.
- Point the smart remote to the remote control sensor of your TV, and depending on your TV model, the remote control sensor can be at the lower right-hand side of the TV or the bottom center.
- Once you have pointed the remote to the sensor, you should simultaneously press and hold the return and play/pause button for about 5 seconds.
- The TV and the remote will automatically sync, and a message will appear on your TV screen, letting you know that both devices have been connected.
Once the message has appeared on your screen, it implies that you have successfully paired the smart TV remote with your Samsung TV, and you can now begin to use it as you deem fit.
If you are having issues with your Samsung remote, you can learn How to Fix Samsung TV Remote Not Working.
How to Pair a Remote to Android TV
Android TVs have recently been gaining popularity, and many trusted brands have released their android TV version.
The Android TV, like other smart TVs, requires that you pair the remote to the TV before you can begin using the remote with the TV.
You can pair a remote to an android TV by following the steps below.
- Switch on your android TV.
- Then press the source or input button on your remote and select the right input from the image of the TV, remote, and timer that will appear on your screen.
- Then follow the instructions that will appear on your screen to complete the process of pairing your TV with the remote.
Once you have followed the instructions and completed the setup process, you can begin to use the remote to operate the TV.
How to Pair a Universal Remote to TV
The universal remote is a type of remote that is brand agnostic, which means that you can use the remote on almost any kind of smart TV regardless of the brand of the TV.
However, before the remote can begin working with your choice TV, you will first need to pair the universal remote to the TV.
You can follow the steps below to pair a universal remote to your TV.
- Turn on your TV and press the TV button on your remote to make the remote aware it is pairing with a TV, and the LED light on the remote will come up.
- Then hold down the TV button on the remote and enter the code of your TV brand. You will then notice that the power button on the remote has turned off.
- After a couple of seconds, the power button on the remote will turn on, indicating that you entered the correct TV code and the remote has now paired with the TV.
Once this occurs, it means you are good to go and can begin using the universal remote to perform any operation you desire on your TV.
How to Connect a Universal Remote to a Samsung TV
There are many kinds of universal remotes that work quite well with different TV brands that you can use with your Samsung TV if, for any reason, you no longer have access to your Samsung smart TV remote.
You can connect a universal remote to your Samsung TV using either the search or manual method, and both methods will be discussed below.
Pair a TV remote with your Samsung TV using the manual method by following the steps below.
- Turn on your TV and press the TV button on the universal remote.
- Then press the setup button until the TV LED blinks twice.
- Then input the 4-digit code of your TV brand and press the TV button to complete the process.
- You can then press the power (PWR) button on the remote and see if it will turn off your TV.
If you were able to turn off the TV using the remote, it implies that the remote has been successfully connected to your Samsung TV.
Some of the popular 4-digit codes for the Samsung TV that you can input into your universal remote are 0702, 0030, 1575, 0178, 1395, 1312, 1060,1903.
You can also pair a TV remote to your Samsung TV using the search method by following the instructions below.
- Switch on your TV and press the TV button on your remote.
- Then press the setup button till the TV button blinks twice.
- Input 911, and the TV button should blink once
- You should then press the power (PWR) button on the universal remote to check if the TV will turn on.
You can then turn on the TV with the remote, and once you have been able to turn on and turn off the TV using it, it implies that you have successfully connected the remote with the TV.
Can You Program any Remote to any TV?
In a way, yes, you can. This is possible by using universal remotes, as the remotes do not need to be brand specific, so they can work with almost any remote once you have them paired with the remote.
However, you cannot pair most brand-specific remotes to any TV. For instance, you will probably be unable to use a Samsung TV remote with a Sony TV, as the remote is only for Samsung TVs.
This article has described how you can pair a TV remote to a TV. We also looked specifically at how to pair a TV remote to Samsung and Android TVs.
We also discussed how to pair a universal remote to a TV as they are brand agnostic and can be used with almost any TV brand.