You can request for a refund a game on Steam and receive your refund within 7 working days but take longer for international for Steam to refund a game when a request is placed. And in most cases, even if Steam made the refund your bank may delay the refund from reflecting in your account. In such a scenario, you would need to contact your bank for more information on how to receive the Steam refund.
When you ask Steam to refund you and your request is approved within 24 hours this cancelled your subscription or the mean transaction and Steam then drop off the charges to your bank.
And this might take a bit longer than expected to reflect in your account. And the refund will not be credited to your account instantly. For local customers, requesting a game refund might take up to 10 days to complete the transaction and for the credit to appear in your account. But, for international customers, the time taken to complete the transaction varies and it might take more and also depend on your bank.
How to Refund a Game on Steam
When you followed the due process Steam process and approve a game refund request within 7 business working days. It varies for international customers.
Follow the steps below to cancel your Steam game subscription and request a game refund.
- Go to the Steam Help centre and sign in to your Steam account. If you forgot your account login use the “Help I can’t sign” option to request your Steam login.
- Select “Purchase” under the “Stream Support” after you have logged into your Stream account.
- You will see the list of all your purchases. Now, find the game you want to cancel and request a refund and then click on it.
- Once you clicked on the game, the game options will appear. Now, select the problem you think you are having with the product you want a refund on. It could be you purchase the game by accident or Gameplay or technical issue.
- Select “I’d like to request a refund” once you selected the issues or problems you have with the product.
- Now, the Steam game refund form will pop up. Fill in the form correctly and click on the “Submit button. In the refund section, select where to refund to. You can select refund to my wallet which will refund to your Steam game wallet once approved or to the original payment method to deposit the fund bank into your account.
- An email will be sent to the email address that is attached to your Steam account that you have made a refund request on the product you selected.
The steam team will start the process. Normally, its takes 7 working days to complete the refund Steam game request. Once the process is completed, the refund will be credited to the option selected while filling the refund a game on the Steam request form.
Can You Refund Steam Game Pre-order?
Steam allows you to cancel a pre-order game if you choose to take a U-turn on your decision to buy but this must be down before the release of the product.
However, to get the refund to your bank account you would have to fill out the Steam game refund form within 3 months of your pre-order. Otherwise, Steam will not permit you to get your refund back into the original payment method but into your Steam wallet credits.
The steps to take to get a refund a get on Steam pre-order is similar to the process we shared above on how to refund a game on Steam. But in the scenario, you would have to choose the preorder product and fill out the refund form. If the pre-order is older than 3 months, select “Steam Wallet” instead of the original payment method.
How to Refund a Gift Game on Steam
If you have gifted a game on Steam to your friend you can equally request a refund. However, refunding a gift game on Steam is different from the previous approach. Instead of initiating the refund request once the gift game has been redeemed. But, on the contrary, if the gift game hasn’t been redeemed, the sender would be the one to fill out the Steam game gift refund request form.
So, if the gift receiver has redeemed the gift, the following steps should be adopted to fill the refund a gift game on the Steam form.
- Let the Steam gift game receiver go to help.steampowered.com and signed in to the account that redeemed the Steam game gift.
- Select “Games, Software, etc.
- Find and select the Steam game or product that you want to refund and select “It’s not what I expected.”
- Next, you need to select “I’d like to request a refund for this gift. .”
- To refund the gifted game, check “Allow the original purchaser of this gift to request a refund” and the gift item or game or product will be removed from the recipient account.
Once the gift recipient has filled the gift game refund request form, the account holder who gifted the game can now proceed to fill the gift game request form and request a refund since the gift receiver has authorized you to be able to submit a request refund form.
The requested product will not be deposit instantly. It takes a minimum of 7 working days for this to take effect. So, you have to wait until the process is completed.
And the game purchase should have been made within the last 14 days the recipient shouldn’t have played the received game for more than 2 hours otherwise you will not be able to place the option to request a refund.