Factory resetting a google WIFI point will erase all the current settings and data. This erased data will be gone forever and you will have to set up your Google WIFI point again. A factory reset can take several minutes and will interrupt your internet access. It is worth noting that you can set up your data by using the Google Home app. However, in this article, we would teach you the steps on “How to Reset a Google WIFI Point”.
How to Reset a Google WIFI Point
You can reset your Google WIFI point basically in two ways. You can either reset it using the Google Home app or reset it with the encircled front reset button on your device.
Therefore, we will consider both methods to help restore your malfunctioning Google WiFi Point to the default settings.
How to Factory Reset Google WIFI With App
This is the first method on “How to Reset a Google WIFI Point” that we would be covering in this article, If you want to reset a point from the app. You have to know that it will delete all settings and data from your point, Cloud services, and the Google Home app. It will also remove the WIFI device from your Google Account.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Touch and hold your device’s tile.
- At the top right corner, tap Settings > Factory reset WIFI point > Factory reset.
How to Factory Reset Google WIFI Without App
This is the second method “How to Reset a Google WIFI Point without app” will be discussed here. You can still reset your Google WIFI point even If your device is not accessible in the app. The factory reset button is a circle etched into either the bottom or at the back of the device.
Recommended: How Long Does it Take to Charge a Ring Doorbell?
- Press and hold the factory reset button for 10 seconds, then the light will flash orange, then turn solid blue.
- When the light is solid blue immediately quickly release the button.
- The reset process will begin, it might take up to 10 minutes before it restarts.
- Make sure not to remove the power cord during this process.
- When the factory reset is complete, the light will change from solid blue to light blue to indicate that it is ready for a setup.
If the firmware on your Google WIFI point is earlier than 13729.57.27: Then follow the steps below.
- Unplug your google WIFI point from the power source.
- Press and hold the factory reset button on the device, while you are holding down the reset button, and quickly plug the power cable back in.
- Continue to press the button for about 10 seconds.
- Your point will flash white, then blue. When it flashes blue, you can then release the button.
- The point will continue flashing blue for about 45 seconds, then turn solid blue.
- This process can take up to 10 minutes for the device to fully reset.
- Once it is complete, your point will pulse blue to indicate it that it is ready for setup.
With the steps above you can reset your WiFi Point by Google without using the Google Home app. This is recommended if you ain’t fond of having multiple apps installed on your device.
How To Add Google WIFI Point
You need to follow the following steps to add a new google point to your WIFI point
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap Add+ >> Set up device >> New device.
- If prompted, choose a home.
- The app should find your WIFI device. Tap Yes to continue. If you have multiple devices available for setup, select the device you would like to set up as a point > Next.
- Scan the QR code on the bottom of your device.
- Hold your phone about 5 in (12 cm) away to scan.
- If you’re unable to scan the QR code, tap Continue without scanning, then enter the setup key on the bottom of your device.
- Your point should now connect. For Nest WIFI points, when you get a sound from your speaker, tap Yes.
- Follow the in-app instructions to finish the setup.
- If you would like to add another point, tap Yes in the app when prompted or repeat these steps at a later time for additional points.
- Once you have added all of your WIFI devices, the app performs a mesh test to confirm everything works.
Factory Reset Nest WIFI
How to reset a Google WIFI Point and Nest WIFI is basically the same process. The factory reset button is located at the bottom of the point. You can check for a circle etched into the bottom and follow the steps below.
- Press and hold the factory reset button on your point.
- After about 5 seconds, your device will begin the factory reset process. Continue to hold the button for about 10 seconds, until there’s a sound confirming the device is resetting.
- After the device has been reset, the device will still appear in the Google Home app. To remove the device and your previous network, follow the instructions for app factory reset.
- The hardware button factory reset will delete all current settings and data from your device.
- However, Google automatically deletes Cloud data after 6 months. This data can always be removed by performing a factory reset from the Google Home app.
Google WIFI no Reset Button
If your goggle WIFI has no reset button or perhaps it is spoilt and there seem to be no other ways you can try to reset your google WIFI. The best option on “How to Reset a Google WIFI Point” is to use the app factory reset through the Google Home app or Google WIFI app.
Even without a reset button, Google points are built in such a way that after 6 months google will automatically delete cloud data.
When the reset is done through the app,
- Your point will return to the factory default.
- Data from your WIFI point and the Google Home or Google WIFI apps, including its current settings and any other information used for Cloud services, will be erased.
- Your point will also be removed from your Google account immediately.
Google WIFI Solid Blue after Factory Reset
During factory reset your google WIFI will show a solid blue light and it will change to a Pulsing blue once it is ready for setup. However, after the device has been reset, it will still appear in the Google Home or Google WIFI app.
Google WIFI Point Won’t Factory Reset
If you hold the button for too long for more than 15 seconds, the device will start flashing orange and won’t factory reset. In this case, unplug your google WIFI point and try the process on “How to Reset a Google WIFI Point” again till it finally factory reset.
Reset Google WIFI Password
You can update your Google Nest WIFI or Google WIFI password in the Google Home app. If you have successfully changed your network Wi-Fi password, all your devices will be disconnected from the Wi-Fi until you update those devices with the new password. However, If you forget to update your password on a device, after 7 days the Google home app will provide a network insight to let you know a device can’t connect to it. Or better still, you can pass a device reset to remove all personal configurations including your password.
- Change your Wi-Fi password.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap Wi-Fi and then Show password.
- Tap Edit.
- Change your password.
- Then tap Save.
In summary “How to Reset a Google WIFI Point” is quite easy but a little bit technical as it requires following the basic steps we listed earlier in this article. Another thing is to check the compatibility and support of the country you are living in.
And lastly, you need to know what the colours showing on your Google WIFI mean to better understand your device when it ran into a problem.