Vizio is one of the most famous brands in the Smart TV and sound system industry, known for manufacturing top-quality products at very affordable prices. However, just like any other household electronics, your Vizio product can also develop faults like TV sound not working due to certain factors.
In case, you are experiencing Vizio TV sound not working issues, relax, this article will walk you through how you can fix the issue and also point your attention to the red flags causing your TV sound not to work.
If your Vizio TV sound is not working, you can simply soft reset your TV by disconnecting it from the wall and waiting for about 60 seconds before connecting it back. This will help reset your TV and the sound should begin working again! However, if this doesn’t work, there are more troubleshooting steps to try below as you read through the other sections of this post.
If you have a Vizio TV and audio settings that clash, then your TV volume may fluctuate from time to time. The conflict could be due to a failing cable, a firmware bug, or something not accurate with the TV’s output settings. In case you have a remote that’s not working, try unpairing and pairing it again. Read on for more fixes to resolve the Vizio TV sound not working below.
What causes Vizio TV sound not working issue?
Your Vizio TV is just like any other electronic equipment you have in your home and it tends to fail or have glitches. When you’ve got a Vizio TV and audio settings that conflict, your volume may fluctuate. TV sound not working can be caused by the below:
- Damaged cable.
- Firmware bug.
- Wrong Audio output settings.
- Incompatibility between the connected device and the TV.
- The volume of the TV is on mute.
- There is an issue with the input function.
- Defective cable wiring
- The software is outdated.
- Hardware issues
How to fix Vizio TV sound not Working
There are several ways you, can troubleshoot the Vizio TV sound not working issues, some of the fixes have been stated below. Follow the steps carefully:
Soft Reset your Vizio Smart TV
If your Vizio TV sound won’t work, then the first thing to do is perform a soft reset of your TV. Follow the steps below:
- Disconnect your TV’s power cord from the wall.
- Long-press on the power button for about 3 to 5 seconds and release it.
- Wait for full 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the Vizio TV power cord after 60 seconds and turn the TV back on.
- The steps above will have helped you to soft reset your TV and the sound should be working again!
However, in case this doesn’t fix your Vizio TV sound, you can try the next fix below.
Enable the Audio-Out Settings in the Sound Menu
In case your Vizio TV model has a Headphone or Audio-Out settings in the Sound menu, then changing it to Audio-Out can help you fix your TV sound. Follow the steps below:
- Tap the Menu button on your Vizio TV remote.
- Make use of the arrow to select “Audio” or “Audio Settings” and tap the OK button on the remote.
- Be sure it says ‘On’ next to the TV Speaker setting.
- In case it says Off, then you need to press the OK key to select ‘On’.
- Ensure all A/V cable connections are well connected to the TV.
- Test the Vizio TV using a different source like a VCR, DVD player, or Blu-ray Disc player.
- Do a power reset on the TV.
Now, you have successfully enabled the Audio-out settings in the Sound Menu, this should fix Vizio TV sound not working issues. You can try the next fix if this doesn’t work for you.
Check the Audio Input Settings
You might have accidentally changed the audio input on your TV while using the remote control spontaneously. On your Vizio TV remote, there’s a small button (the AUX button) that allows you to change the audio input, once this button is tapped, there will be no sound on the screen till you change it back.
Below are the steps on how to change Audio input settings on your Vizio TV:
- Locate the “INPUT” button on your TV remote control.
- Tap it once, and then choose “Soundbar” in case you have a soundbar connected to your TV, or “Default” if you are using the TV speakers.
That’s it! You have successfully changed the audio input settings on Vizio TV. This should fix the Vizio TV sound not working, but if it doesn’t proceed to the next troubleshooting step below.
Ensure the volume on the Satellite Box is above zero
Are you using a cable or satellite box? If yes, then check if the volume is set higher than zero in the interface settings.
Your cable box offers the video and audio signals that are eventually transmitted via the TV, which may appear odd if you are not familiar with TV settings.
Once your cable box’s volume control has been set to zero, the cable box informs your TV not to play any sound.
Check the Current Sound Source
Do you know the sound problem you are encountering may be coming from the TV itself and not from the channel? If you are getting no sound on channels like ESPN and FX, then you should check your cable settings.
Cable channels are usually known to have problems with the audio, therefore if this issue is not affecting your other devices (such as Blu-ray players or PlayStation), then you should check out your cable box.
You can as well change to a Watch TV source to see if the problem is coming from the device you are using to play content on your TV. In case it’s the device you use to send content to the TV, ensure to restart the source and test again.
Check Vizio TV Volume
Although this sounds too easy, It’s possible you might have accidentally turned off the volume of your Vizio TV. Here are steps to follow that can help you fix this problem and make your TV sound like it should:
- Turn on the Mute button on your remote control.
- Change the TV’s volume from the panel right in front of the set.
- Vizio TV has a very simple-to-follow, press-and-look process to see if your TV is muted or not.
- Tap the Mute button on your remote control.
- Once a highlighted icon is displayed at the bottom left of your screen, then your TV is muted.
- In case you tapped the Mute button for the first time today, then you need to look into it further.
If checking the TV volume doesn’t solve the issue of Vizio TV not working, then you can proceed to the next step below.
Check all Cable Connections
The next step that can help you fix the issue of Vizio TV sound not working is to check if all the cables are connected properly and are functional especially when you are still experiencing static sound on your Vizio TV.
Always ensure that the audio cable is firmly plugged into both the TV and the audio output device, such as an HDTV or home theater receiver. In case you are using a third-party device to listen to your Vizio TV sound, double-check to ensure it’s also fully functional.
A loose or unplugged cable may be causing interference which may prevent you from hearing the sound from your TV.
Check the Remote Batteries
In case none of the fixes listed above has solved your Vizio TV sound not working problem, then you could try replacing or testing your remote batteries.
When your Vizio remote won’t work, it doesn’t automatically imply that your TV is faulty. To be sure what the exact problem is, first check out the battery compartment and ensure that the batteries are properly installed and functional.
In case the remote won’t still work, then it’s possible that your remote has been damaged due to one reason or the other or it just needs to be reset. You might need to discharge all residual power in the remote to get it working again.
- Detach all batteries from the remote control.
- Press every button several times.
- This will help clear the memory and reset the device.
- Now, re-insert the batteries and try using the remote again.
This should work and if it doesn’t, you can use an Xfinity remote or any of your remotes. All you need to do is pair it to the Vizio TV for them to work. If you have another Vizio remote, check out your remote’s operating manual before proceeding.
Disable SRS TruVolume
You might need to disable the “SRS TruVolume” function so your Vizio TV sound can work again. This SRS TruVolume feature usually conflicts with external devices, such as gaming consoles and set-top boxes like Chromecast, Roku, and Amazon Fire. To achieve this follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings >> Sound >> Disable the TruVolume button.
- The Vizio TV’s TruVolume feature will automatically change the volume of your content based on the onscreen action.
- Go to Audio Settings >> Advanced Audio.
- Change the setting from “Prefer SRS” to “OFF”.
- Switch off any settings on your Vizio TV that can change the audio volume.
- In case you have “TruSurround” or “Surround Sound” enabled, ensure to disable those settings.
- Another common cause is when the analog output settings are set to “variable” instead of “fixed”.
This should fix the Vizio TV sound not working issue and if it doesn’t, try the next fix.
Update software on Vizio TV
Vizio TV sound not working issue can also be caused by outdated software and if your TV is disconnected from the internet. Some factory reset codes can make the sound stop working, but you won’t know except if you Google it.
Since Vizio TVs are automatically connected to the internet which makes the software gets updated within hours of being released. It will automatically pop up in your system settings. In case you don’t see it appear, you can check your connection and try again later.
You can manually update the software in case you are not connected to the internet. Do this by following the steps below:
- Tap the V key on your TV remote control.
- This will direct you to the System tab.
- Search for Check For Updates in the Menu dropdown.
- Tap on it and your TV will begin searching for any available updates.
- Once an update is available, verify the installation.
- Your Vizio TV will download the update, restart, install the update and restart one more time.
That’s it! This should fix the Vizio TV sound not working problem.
Clear memory or reset to default on the TV
Another troubleshooting step you can take is to clear the memory and reset your TV to default settings. Follow the steps below to achieve that:
- With the aid of your Vizio TV remote, tap the Menu button.
- Make use of the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight System and click OK.
- Select Reset & Admin and tap OK.
- Choose Reset TV to Factory Defaults and press OK.
- In case you are yet to manually reset the parental code, enter 0000 when it demands the password.
- Then, select Reset and press OK.
- Wait for a few seconds for the TV to turn off.
- Once the TV turns back on, then the Setup App process will begin.
Well, if none of the above fixes solve your problem and you are still facing sound issues. Then, you can involve the Vizo customer support team for help.
Go to the Vizio Support website to get relevant customer care information.
Factory reset Vizio TV without remote
In case you do not have access to your remote control and you need to factory reset your Vizio TV, then follow the steps below to guide you through:
- Locate the Power button on your TV.
- Depending on your TV model, this may be located at the right-hand side, left-hand side, or even at the bottom of the device.
- While the TV is on, long-press the volume and source buttons on the TV down concurrently.
- Your TV will direct you to press and hold the input button for about 10 seconds.
- This will power off the Vizio TV, reboot it and factory reset it.
- The reboot and reset process can take up to about 60 seconds or so.
At this point, the problem of Vizio TV sound not working should have been fully resolved.
How to fix Vizio Sound Bar not Working
In case you have a Vizio sound bar and it won’t work no matter how hard you try to fix it, here are some simple troubleshooting steps to follow that can help you resolve the issue:
- Ensure the volume level or your TV is set above zero with the aid of the + and – buttons on the Vizio TV remote.
- Ensure the TV is not muted.
- Be sure that your TV speakers are turned “On”.
- Check the cables connecting your devices to the TV, and ensure they are firmly secured and they have not become frayed or cut
- Try using another source device.
- Verify that the audio is turned up and not muted within the box in case you have a Cable or Satellite box.
If there’s still no audio after trying all the above, then there may be an issue with your Vizio TV.
Vizio TV has no Sound but not Muted
Vizio TV can be difficult to fix once it comes to sound. If your Vizio TV has no sound but not muted, you can try these fixes in this order:
- Disconnect your TV from the wall and wait for about a minute.
- Manually update your Vizio TV to the most recent software version
- Perform a factory reset on your TV with or without your remote control.
- Reset the power cord behind your TV
- Finally, you can contact the Vizio TV support team for further assistance.
If none of the above worked, then you might want to pull up your warranty and check if it’s still valid, otherwise, you are stuck and you need to buy a new TV set.
Vizio TV Volume Control not Working
Is your Vizio TV remote giving you issues, and it’s not working properly? The first step to solving any problem is to identify what the problem is. Now, follow the steps below to do a routine check on your remote control:
- Check the Remote control sensor.
- Ensure it’s in a line of sight with the TV.
- If you can’t locate any issues, check your Vizio TV’s Power Settings.
- Selecting “Eco” Mode will automatically disable your remote control functionality on the Vizio TV as well as some other settings.
- Setting your TV in “Game Mode” can also fix this issue as many users have tried it out.
You might need to replace the remote or reset it to fix the problem.