You don’t have to be a singer or musician before you can upload your favourite music to Spotify. So, here, we will basically discuss how to upload music to Spotify in what we call a step-by-step procedure.
Spotify allows users to upload music on the platform. If you are a user with your song or an old recording you like but are unsure about the necessary steps, you do not have to worry, as this article will explain the steps needed to upload music to Spotify.
Spotify is one of the top streaming music giants, with over 82 million songs in its catalog and more songs added daily. Although the platform boasts a broad genre of music and many classical hits, there is still a possibility that some of your favourite songs will not be on the platform.
This might be an issue if you like to listen to that particular song, as it might need you to switch between Spotify and another streaming app, but to prevent this from happening, you can always upload music to Spotify.
The next section of this article will explain the requirements and the steps you need to follow to upload music to Spotify.
How to Upload Music to Spotify
Before discussing the steps needed to upload music to Spotify, let’s look at the requirements, you need to meet before uploading any music to the platform.
- You need a paid Spotify premium account, as uploading music to Spotify using a free account is impossible.
- You need to install the Spotify desktop app on your computer, as you cannot upload music to Spotify using the web or mobile app.
- Lastly, the music you want to upload to Spotify must be in your computer’s local files.
If you have met the requirements above, you can upload music to Spotify by following the steps below.
- Launch the Spotify desktop app on your computer.
- Then click on your profile picture at the top of the screen and select the settings option from the drop-down menu.
- Then click on local files and toggle the show local files switch to view the list of folders on your computer from which you can import music.
- Then click add source and add the local folder where the music you want to upload is stored.
- Then click your library from the left side menu bar of the app and view the local files section.
If you have followed the instructions above, you should be able to find the music you imported in the local files section of your Spotify app and listen to it as often as you deem fit.
You can also check out How to See who Liked your Playlist on Spotify.
How to Upload Music to Spotify on iPhone
As explained earlier in this article, uploading music to Spotify using a mobile or web app is impossible. Since the iPhone is a mobile device that uses the Spotify mobile app, you cannot upload music to Spotify using your iPhone.
However, since one of the primary reasons you would upload your favorite music to your Spotify account is to enable you to enjoy the music on the go with your mobile phone, you can listen to the uploaded music on your iPhone.
To listen to your locally uploaded music on your iPhone, you need to organize the music in a playlist and follow the instructions below.
- Open the Spotify app on your iPhone and click on the settings icon at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Then click on local files from the settings menu and toggle the local audio files switch to enable the feature.
- Then click on your library icon at the bottom of the screen and open the playlist that contains the uploaded music.
- Then tap the download icon to download the music and ensure that you can listen to it even when you are offline.
Once you have followed the instructions above, you can listen to the downloaded music anytime.
How to Upload Music to Spotify Using an Android Device
You can only upload music to Spotify using the desktop app, so as an Android user, you cannot upload music to Spotify using your Spotify mobile app.
However, once you have uploaded the music to Spotify using the desktop app on your computer and you have arranged the music in a playlist, you can listen to the music on your Spotify mobile app by following the instructions below.
- Launch the Spotify mobile app on your Android device.
- Then tap on the settings icon at the top right corner of the screen and select local files from the menu.
- Then enable the local audio files options by toggling the switch.
- Then tap on your playlist icon at the bottom of the screen and open the playlist that contains the uploaded music.
You can also download the uploaded music using the download icon to ensure that you still have access to it offline.
How to Upload Music to Spotify as an Artist for Free
While you usually have to go through a distributor that is a partner to Spotify, Spotify recently released a beta feature that allows the artist to upload their music on the platform for free directly.
As an independent artist, this would open a whole new world of opportunities for you, as you would be directly getting your streaming commission every month and a detailed record of your streaming numbers.
However, because this feature is still in its beta mode, it is not yet open to the general public, and only a handful of independent US artists have been invited to use the feature.
Spotify has promised to extend the feature to a broader populace in the nearest future so that independent artists can upload their music for free on the platform.
How to Upload to Spotify Podcast
If you are a Podcaster, uploading your podcast to Spotify is pretty easy, especially if you host your podcast with one of Spotify’s aggregator partners like Anchor, Fireside, and Castos.
You can follow the instructions below on how to upload to a Spotify podcast.
- First, log in or sign up on the Spotify for podcasters platform.
- Then click the get started button and paste the link to your podcast RSS feed.
- Then copy and paste the 8-digit verification code sent to your mail.
- Then input the necessary podcast information and review it.
- Once satisfied with your input button, click the submit button to complete the process.
You will then get your podcast’s Spotify URL, and you can see your podcast on the app after a couple of hours.
You can see it is damn easy to upload music to Spotify?So, take the bold step to upload your first song/music to your Spotify account and see how easy it it.