Reboot and select proper boot device will catch your attention when you boot your system and the error message comes that preventing you from booting to your computer operating system.
Most times, the reboot and select proper boot device occur in Windows 10 in the form of a black screen. And it’s common to Asus computer users. Therefore, if you are running a Windows 10 OS on your Asus and Lenovo computer chances are that you would see a black screen asking you to select a proper booting device when booting to your Windows 10 operating system.
A lot could contribute to your computer inability to reboot properly and select the right device or source to boot from. So, before we dive into the detail on how to fix the reboot and select proper boot device in Windows 10, let’s first take a look at the cause on your Windows 10 to know what to fix when we discuss how to fix the Windows 10 boot device error.
What are Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device in Windows 10?
Reboot and select proper boot device is when your computer or laptop input and output or BIOS failed to connect and find the operating system in your computer. The error sometimes forces your to reboot your computer system, enter your computer BIOS system called UEFI and select the drive that contains your computer operating system and boot your computer from the system.
Now that we know what the “Reboot and select proper boot device” means and how it can affect your computer, the following are a few of the reasons why your computer would force you into your computer BIOS system to boot from it.
Cause of Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device Windows 10
If you keep seeing “Reboot and select proper boot device” in your Windows 10 whenever you want to reboot your computer or boot into the computer system, the following could be the causes.
- Corrupt system files
- Hard disk failure or Incorrect boot order
- Mucked around your computer boot order.
- Inactive partition or your computer partition not set to be active.
These are a few of the causes aside from the physical damage that could cause your computer from misbehaving and showing errors whenever you reboot your computer or device.
How to Fix Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device in Windows 10
We experienced “Reboot and select proper boot device” on our Asus and Lenovo and the following ways are the steps we took to overcome the overnight nightmare.
Check your Computer Boot Order
The first step to attack the reboot and select proper boot device on your Asus or Windows 10 computer is to check your computer boot order whether it’s the sole reason why your computer is unable to find the computer operating system on your computer drive.
Dont Miss: How to Enter Windows BIOS Menu
To check your computer boot order to fix this error follow the steps below.
- Restart your Windows computer.
- Press a key in your computer BIOS system. The key depends on your computer manufacturer. To know which key to press, take a look at your computer screen and press the key on your keyboard if your computer is not a screen touch computer. Just make sure you find the right key to open your computer system BIOS menu.
- Navigate to the “Boot” tab using your computer up and down or arrow up, arrow down, arrow left and arrow right key to select the boot tab.
- Rearrange the computer boot order and make sure the computer “Hard Disk” is set to be the first followed by the rest of the available options.
- Save the “Settings” to make the necessary changes.
- Navigate to reboot and select the enter key to restart your computer.
With this, the error to reboot and select proper boot device will be fixed if the error is caused due to improper boot order in your computer.
Fix Hard Disk Failure
HDD failure can also cause reboot and select proper boot device in your Windows or Asus computer. There are tons of tools available online to do an automatic check on your computer hard disk.
Switch to UEFI from Legacy Boot
Some computers use UEFI instead of BIOS. And on such a computer, if the legacy boot is set active it can cause the error prompting you to reboot and select proper boot device on your Windows 10 device.
However, the only fix to a UEFI computer showing reboot and select proper boot device SSD follow the steps below.
- Reboot your computer.
- Open the UEFI menu. This approach is similar to the BIOS menu process. The key to open the UEFI menu on your computer will appear on the screen.
- Go to “Legacy” and select “Legacy Support” to disable the UEFI legacy feature.
- Click on the “Save” button to save the changes.
- Close the UEFI screen.
- Restart your computer.
Now, the error prompting you to reboot and select proper boot device SSD will disappear if it’s caused by the UEFI legacy feature.
Fix Inactive Primary Partition
You could also experience insert boot media on your Asus Windows 10 computer if your primary partition is not active. So, doing the necessary to fix the inactive primary partition will be necessary to fix reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media on your laptop or computer.
However, a tool like Diskpart is needed to run the command you need to fix this reboot error on your Windows 10 or Windows 7/8.
However, we would assume that you have the original Windows 10 installer package to run this fix.
- To boot from the media, first, insert the Windows installer disc into your computer.
- A system recovery option will pop up. For Windows 8/8.1/10 you should see the option to troubleshoot and Windows 7 users should see “system recovery.”
- Select “Command Prompt.”
- On Windows 7 or Vista select Recovery Options. And for Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 choose “Troubleshoot.”
- Type “diskpart” without the quotes and hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Type “list partition” without the quotes and hit the enter button.
- Type “select partition 1” where “1” represents your computer primary partition.
- Type “active” and hit “enter.”
This should now fix the reboot and select proper boot device SSD on your Windows computer.