If you’ve been in a situation where need to delete or unsend Facebook message, then you’ve come to the right place. Here, we will break down all the steps you need to take to either delete or unsend messages on your Facebook Messenger.
The sole purpose of the Facebook Messenger is to be able to have chit-chat with your friends and family without leaving the Facebook platform. However, there are times when you might send messages that you wish to take back or delete especially if the message is inappropriate messages.
Or you may want to delete the messages if you misspelt a word.
Whatever the case may be, all these are common scenarios that could make you regretful after hitting that send button.
But since you are here, I will be using this article to explore how to delete or unsend Facebook message on Messenger.
How to Delete or Unsend Facebook Message via Messenger on iPhone
Facebook Messenger provides a platform that you can use to send messages to your friends and family, however, there may be instances where you want to remove a message or unsend it.
In cases like this, you might have sent a message by mistake or want to delete a conversation to keep your Messenger clean. Notwithstanding, this guide will walk you through the steps to delete or unsend messages on Facebook Messenger using your iPhone.
Here are the steps;
- Launch Messenger on your iPhone.
- Go to the conversation you wish to delete and select the required message.
- Hold down the message and press the “More” icon at the bottom.
- Select “Unsend” from the options.
- Choose either “Unsend for everyone” or “Unsend for you.”
- If “Unsend for everyone” is chosen, the message will be removed from both the sender and receiver.
- If “Unsend for you” was chosen, the message will be removed only from the sender.
- To delete entire conversations, navigate to the Chats section.
- Swipe to the left when you get to the profile you wish to remove.
- Now, tap the “More” icon and select “Delete.”
Recommended: How to Recover Hacked Facebook Account
How to Delete or Unsend Facebook Messages on Facebook Messenger for Android
If you find yourself in a situation where you want to remove a message on your Facebook for Android App, Probably, it’s an accidental message or a conversation you no longer want to keep, this guide will show you how to delete or unsend messages on Facebook Messenger using your Android device.
Here is how to go about it
- Launch Messenger on your Android device.
- If you do not already have it, download it from the Google Play Store.
- Next, go through the sign-in process and check the conversation.
- Tap and hold the desired message and select the More option.
- At the bottom, click on the Remove option.
- A pop-up will appear; select either Unsend or Remove for You. For Unsend: Your message will be removed from both the sender and receiver.
- For Remove for You: Your message will only be deleted by the sender; the receiver will still receive it.
- To delete the entire conversation, go to the Chats section.
- Long-press the profile and then select the Delete option.
How to Delete Messages on Facebook Messenger on Windows
When using Messenger on a PC, you have two different methods to delete messages. Perhaps, you want to clean up your chat history or remove specific messages from a conversation the steps below will outline how you can do that.
The other option you have is to delete it from the app or the website.
Remove from Messaging App
If you’ve installed the Messenger app on your Windows PC. All you have to do next is follow the instructions below to delete messages on Facebook Messenger by removing or uninstalling the messaging app.
Here are the steps involved;
- Launch Messenger on your PC.
- Log in and open the conversation containing the message you want to delete.
- Right-click the message you would like to delete.
- Choose either of these options: ‘Remove for You’ or ‘Remove for Everyone’.For remove for you: it deletes the message on the sender side, but it remains visible to the receiver.
- For remove for everyone: it deletes the message for both the sender and receiver.
- Confirm your choice to delete the message on Facebook Messenger.
- If you want to delete the entire chat, navigate to the ‘Chats’ section and select the chat you wish to delete.
- Now tap the three-dotted icon and click ‘Delete Chat’.
Recommended: How to Save Videos on Facebook
Remove Messages on the Facebook Messenger Website
If you’re using the Facebook Messenger website and want to know how to remove messages, Maybe you are faced with an instance where you want to delete specific messages from your conversations.
Here is how you should go about it.
- Go to the official website of Messenger on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Now sign in.
- Navigate to the desired message and hover the cursor over it.
- Click the three-dot icon near the message.
- Select the ‘Remove’ option.
- A pop-up window will appear with two options; ‘Remove for you‘ and ‘Remove for everyone’.
- Choose ‘Remove for you’ if you want the person to still see the message.
- If not Choose “Remove for everyone” if you don’t want anyone to see the message you deleted
Unsend Facebook Message after 10 minutes.
Here is the thing; When you send a message on Facebook Messenger, you have a 10-minute window, after which you will not be able to delete such a message anymore.
To avoid stories that touch, make sure you delete any message within 10 minutes after you send it.
If you don’t you will not be able to delete the message anymore.
Can I Schedule Facebook Messages to be Deleted Automatically?
Yes, while Facebook does offer disappearing messages, it’s important to note that this feature is exclusive to secret conversations and can only be used on mobile devices. Unfortunately, you cannot utilize the disappearing messages feature on your computer.
- Tap the person’s name or the group chat name at the top of the chat.
- Tap Disappearing Messages.
- Select when you want messages to disappear from the chat after they’ve been seen.
- Tap Ok.
The message will disappear according to the schedule set up.
Will Someone be Notified if I Unsend a Message on Facebook Messenger?
No, when you unsend a message on Facebook, the recipient will not be notified that you have done so. Coupled with that, it will also be removed from your conversation history
However, it’s important to note that if the recipient has already seen the message before you hit the delete button. They will be aware of its content.
In this guide, we have explored various methods and platforms to help you delete or unsend Facebook message or messages on your Facebook Messenger. However, it’s worth noting that you only have 10 minutes windows to unsend your sent messages on Facebook Messenger.