You have been trying without success to add someone to a group text on iPhone, and you have been wondering if there is any possible reason for this and how you can navigate around it.
The iPhone uses the iMessage app allows you to add your friends and family in a group text, where you can share messages with yourself and be up to date with the needed information.
It is very convenient to use, so many iPhone users prefer to use the iMessage app to create different group text for different purposes.
It is expected to be quite frustrating if someone is needed to be in a group for some reason; you cannot add the person to the group text on iPhone.
This article is set to explain the possible reasons why you cannot add someone to a group text on iPhone and also look at possible solutions to work around it.
What is the Reason Why You Cannot Add somebody to a Group Text on iPhone?
The primary reason you cannot add someone to a group text on iPhone is that the person is not using an iPhone.
The iMessage only works for iPhone users, so members of a group that does not use the iPhone cannot be added to a group text on iMessage
Since the regular SMS does not give the flexibility that the iMessage gives in sending group texts, the available workaround is to create a group on a social media platform like WhatsApp.
Alternatively, use the google chat app, which can be used by both iPhone and Samsung users.
You can also check out How To Unlock your iPhone Without a Passcode Or Face ID.
Once you have the google chat app installed on your iPhone, you can add iPhone and android phone users by following the instructions below.
- Open the chat app and navigate to group conversation.
- Then on the top left corner of your screen, click on the group conversation you’d like to add someone to.
- Then at the top left corner of the screen, click on conversation participants and select add people and bots.
- Next, enter the name or email address of the person you’d like to add and tap done.
Once you have successfully done this, you have found a workaround to add someone to a group text, and you can now begin communicating as a group using the chat app.
Recommended: How to Fix WhatsApp keeps Crashing on iPhone
You also cannot add somebody to a conversation you are already having with just one person because the conversation with just an individual was not happening in a group, as iMessage requires three participants to form a group.
Suppose the issue is that you are trying to add somebody to a prior individual conversation. In that case, you have to create a group and add both individuals you want to have the conversation with, and then you all can commence communication.
Why Can’t I Remove Someone from a Group Text on iPhone?
The iMessage app is a group text platform that allows friends and family to send messages to each other easily.
However, to form a group on iMessage, there has always to be at least 3 participants, so if you have only three members in the group, you cannot remove someone from it.
You can only remove someone from group text on iMessage if there are at least 4 participants in the group.
So the most probable reason you cannot remove someone from group text on iPhone is that the group has only three participants, and removing that person means you have to disband the group on iMessage.
How to Add Someone to A Group Text on iPhone
You can only add someone to a group text on iPhone via the iMessage app if you are using an iPhone and the person you want to add is also using an iPhone.
If you are sure that the person you’d like to add to a group text is also using an iPhone, you can add them by following the instructions below.
- Click on the group message you’d like to add the person to.
- Then click on the group icon on the top of the thread.
- Then click on the gray icon beside contacts, and select add contacts.
- Then input the contact you’d like to add and select done.
If they are available on iMessage, they will be added to the group. Also, note that you cannot add somebody to a conversation you have been previously having with just one person.
A conversation with just one person is not regarded as a group, so if you’d like to have a conversation with both parties, you would have to create a group and add both before you can begin communicating.
How to Add Someone on Group Text With iPhone and Android
The iPhone has the iMessage, which you can only use with people that also use an iPhone, while the Google chat app can be used to form a group text with anyone using either an iPhone or an android device.
You can add someone on a group text with iPhone to iMessage by following the steps below.
- Select the group message you’d like to include the person in.
- Then tap the group icon located at the top of the thread.
- Next, click the gray icon next to contacts and select add contacts.
- After entering the contact, you want to add, select done.
You can also use the Google chat app to add people from an iPhone or an android phone by following the instructions below.
- Open the chat app on your phone and go to group conversation.
- Then on the top left corner of your screen, select the group conversation you’d like to add someone to.
- Next, click on conversation participants on the top left corner of your screen and select add people and bots.
- Finally, input the name or email address of the person you’d like to add and click done.
You can then begin to chat with the group members as you desire.
Can You Add Someone to an Existing Group Text on iPhone?
Yes, you can add someone to an existing group text on iPhone, as long as the person has an iPhone, enabling them to use the iMessage app.
You only cannot add someone to a private conversation you have been having with just one person, as two people do not make a group on iMessage.
If you’d like to include someone in a conversation you have previously been having with only one person, you would have to create a group where you can add both parties and then continue the conversation from there.
Is There a Limit on Group Text on iPhone?
Yes, for regular MMS text, the maximum number of people you can have in the group is ten, while for iMessage, you must have a minimum of three participants, and then the maximum number of people you can have on the group text is 32.
Why Can’t I Add a Group Name to a Group Text
There is virtually no reason you should not be able to add a group name to a group text on the iMessage app on iPhone, as long as the group exists and you are using an iPhone.
Although, you cannot change the name of an MMS group text on the iPhone.
You can add a group name to any group text of your choice by following the instructions below.
- Open the group message you want to name on your iMessage app.
- Then click on the group icon at the top of the thread.
- Then select the change name and photo option, enter the name you want to use for the group, and click done.
If you have been able to follow these instructions, it means that you have changed the name on your iMessage.
This article has explained in detail the possible reason why you can’t add someone to a group text on iPhone and possible solutions you can use to work around the problem.