Airplay not working with your Roku or other streaming devices could be frustrating. While you might find it a bit stressful figuring out how to connect your Android devices with apple devices, however, when it comes to screening or mirroring content from your Apple device to other apple devices, it is pretty easy.
One of the most common ways you can stream or mirror content from one Apple device to another is by using Airplay.
If you have an Airplay device, all you have to do is connect both devices to the same Wifi network and you are good to go, however, in some scenarios, you might be faced with your Airplay not working.
If that is the case, below I will be breaking down some proven techniques you can try out to get your Airplay working in no time.
How to Fix Airplay not Working
If your Airplay is not working there are a few things you have to be aware of since not all Apple devices are supported with airplay. For instance, the Apple iPhone devices that were released before the iPhone 5s and iPad Mini don’t support Airplay.
That being said, below is the list of things you have to check if you are stuck with your Airplay not working.
1. Check if Devices are Compatible
Not all Apple device is compatible with Airplay, so if you are finding it hard to connect to another apple device, you can check here for a list of compatible device that supports Airplay.
However, you can check if your device has Airplay by following the steps listed below.
- Swipe down to open the control panel of your iPhone device
- If you see any screen mirroring icon which has two rectangles placed one after the other then you have Airplay is compatible on your device.
2. Reboot your Apple Device
Before going further into other complicated troubleshooting steps, one of the things you should do first is to restart your Apple device.
Restarting helps you clear any stored cache memory that could be affecting your phone performance.
If you have an iPhone or iPad. All you have to do is to press the power buttons and select OFF.
However, if you are using a Homepod, you can unplug it for at least 15 seconds before plugging i back.
3 . Check your Wifi Network
For Airplay to work, both device has to be connected to the same Wifi network. So in a scenario where one device is connected to an Hotspot network, while the other is connected to another network, It would not work.
However if both devices are on the same wifi network, below are some of the things you should check out for if you are having issue with your Wifi Signal.
- Check if you are connected to a 2.4GHz
- Check if your network signal is strong enough
- Check for any available firmware update on the internet router
Check your firewall or parental controls restrictions if applicable
After checking for all these try rebooting your internet router before trying to connect Airplay with it another Apple device.
4. Ensure that Bluetooth is connected on both device
Bluetooth might not be directly used when mirroring or streaming from one Apple device to another, However, it is required by Apple that the Bluetooth of both devices are connected for Airplay to work optimally.
5. Check the settings of your Airplay Device
In some apple TV, the default setting might not be set to allow everyone to access it. So if you are trying to stream content to your Apple TV you have to ensure that an Airplay connection is allowed on your device.
If you are unsure of how to enable Airplay on your Apple device, you can follow the steps below to enable it
- On your Apple TV navigate to “Settings”
- Now Select “Airplay and Homekit“
- Choose “allow Access”
- Select “Everyone”
After doing this, you would be able to connect with your Airplay Device. However, if you can’t update your TV software.
6. Update your Apple device Software
Updates are important because they deal with issues such as bugs, software issues and security issues. If you are faced with your Airplay not working, a software update should be able to fix it since the Apple support team will be aware of these issues.
So if you are yet to update your device software or you don’t know how to update it, you can follow the steps listed below.
- First and foremost you want to update your device to i-cloud before starting the update
- If you don’t have enough power on your device plug it to Power. Ensure you have enough battery on your device before starting the update
- Now, connect your device to the internet
- Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
- In a scenario where you are seeing two update options, select the latest one
- Now, tap on download and Install.
- Then tap Download to download the update.
- Finally, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now.
iPhone 13 Airplay not working
If you are having an issue with your iPhone 13 airplay, below are things you can do to troubleshoot it.
1 . Toggle the Bluetooth of your device
Over here you simply need to turn off your Bluetooth and turn it on again. You can do that by going to your device control centre and then selecting Settings > Bluetooth.
2 . Toggle your Wifi OFF and ON for a while
Since internet connection is one of the most important things when connecting your device Airplay to another In a scenario where you are having an issue connecting with one device, you can simply toggle the device OFF and then ON by putting the device in Airplane mode for about 10 seconds before toggling it ON.
3 . Ensure your device is up to date
As mentioned earlier, one of the most important things that could result in your Airplay not working is an Outdated OS.
If your iPhone 13 isn’t up to date. Updating it to the latest version OS version can resolve its Airplay Issue.
That said, If you don’t know how to carry out an update you can follow the instructions below
- Go to your iPhone 13 control centre
- Locates Settings
- Select General
- Choose Software Update.
- Restart your iPhone 13 Pro Max to fix Airplay problems
Airplay not working – Samsung TV
If your Samsung TV is Airplay Enabled, you might face some challenges connecting with other Airplay Devices, probably you are trying to stream your Apple iPhone to your Samsung TV but you are having issues with it.
If that is the case simply check here for a comprehensive guide if Airplay is not working on your Samsung TV.
Airplay not working Roku
The majority of issues coming from your Airplay not working with your Roku Enabled TV usually come from network-related issues. Since Roku is in no way affiliated with Apple, the connection between a Roku device and Airplay is always prone to issues.
However, if you are using a Roku device and you want to connect it to your Apple device, you should check here.
How do I get Airplay working?
If you have two airplay compatible devices, below are the steps you should follow to get Airplay working
How to get Airplay working on your Phone
There are different ways you can access Airplay from your phone.
If you want to Airplay app on your iPhone you can simply locate the screen mirroring icon on the control centre or you can pay for the video or music you want to share and locate the airplay icon and click on it
In some cases, you might have to click the share button in some apps before you will be able to access the airplay feature.
How to get Airplay Working on your MAC
If you have a MAC and you want to cast or stream video or any type of media content to other Airplay devices like your Apple TV. Follow the steps below
- On your MAC, launch the video you want to cast to your TV
- On the video app, locate it at the bottom right corner of your video player
- If you are playing a YouTube video instead you’ll make things easier by switching to safari instead of chrome.
After choosing “Airplay” select the device you want to connect to.
- Make sure that the device is compatible with Airplay and the Bluetooth and WiFi are connected together
- Once they are connected, your Mac will request a code shown on your TV simply enter it on your device.
by now, you should have figured out the reason behind your Airplay not working and the appropriate troubleshooting steps you should take. That said, if your Airplay is not working after going through the steps above you should contact Airplay customer support.