To delete your Spotify account, you need to visit the Spotify website in an internet browser. You cannot delete your Spotify account using mobile or desktop apps.
Deleting your account means you will lose your subscribers and playlists. You can create a new account at any time with the same email addresses and contact details.
Do you need to close your Spotify Account?
Spotify is a music streaming service that offers a free version with ads and a premium version without ads. If you have a premium subscription that you no longer use, you can simply cancel or close the Spotify subscription and return to a free account.
You can continue to use your free account on your computer, phone, smart speakers like Alexa, and elsewhere, with the restriction that you have to listen to the announcements.
If a free Spotify account is not what you want, signing out is not enough. To completely delete your account so that it no longer exists, you have to go through a multi-step process to close your account.
If you close your Spotify account, the account will be deleted entirely. The following things also happen:
- Your Spotify username can no longer be used with Spotify.
- Your playlists and recorded music will disappear forever.
- You will lose your followers.
Delete the Spotify Account Description
If you find that you are no longer using Spotify, you can delete your account, but only in an internet browser, not through the app.
Before closing your account, make sure you understand the implications and note that you can cancel your subscription without completely deleting it.
If you close your account, you will not be able to reuse your current username with Spotify. However, you can create a new account with the same email address.
You also no longer have access to your playlists and subscribers. You will also lose all of the music that you have stored in your library.
If you signed up for a Spotify Premium student discount, you would have to wait a full year before reapplying for the discount.
Here we show you how to close your account.
How to Delete Your Spotify Account
To get started, you first need to access the Spotify Contact Customer Service page. Make sure you are signed in to the account you want to delete.
This will start the process of closing your account.
1. Click on “Account.”
2. Click, “I want to close my account.”
3. Check if you really want to close your account permanently, or you want to cancel your paid subscription with Spotify. Click the black “Close the Account” option on the left to continue deleting.
4. This will take you to a page that says, “Sorry you want to leave us.” The five-step process to close your account begins. Click the blue “Next” button to continue after each step.
5. Make sure you are logged in to the correct account. Click the blue “Next” button.
6. Spotify warns you that you will lose your followers and playlists. Check the box to confirm that you understand the ramifications and click the blue “Next” button.
7. On the next page, click “Next” again. You will receive an email to the account you registered with to confirm that you want to continue closing your account.
8. Open the link you received and click on the last option “Close my account.” This is shown as a green button and must be clicked within 24 hours of receiving the email.
What happens if you happen to change your mind about deleting Spotify?
Spotify makes deleting the account long enough because it is an irreversible process. Therefore, they want to give you the opportunity to reconsider the decision before closing your account. However, the grace period is short.
If along the way you change your mind about deleting your Spotify account within seven days, you can cancel the process. A direct confirmation email would be sent to you by Spotify after your account is closed, and this email contains a reactivation link. If you click this link within seven days of deleting your account, you can restore it.
Seven days after deleting your Spotify account, you lose the ability to restore your account. You can still create a new account with the same email address, but you’ll need to choose a new username, rebuild your library, and win new subscribers from scratch.
How do I cancel my Spotify Subscription?
Log in to your Spotify account and select “Subscription” from the menu. Go to “Your Plan” and click on “CHANGE PLAN.” Scroll down to “Spotify Free” and click on “CANCEL PREMIUM.” You will be asked if you are safe. Therefore click on “Yes.”
And that’s it. Your subscription will switch from Premium to Free the next time you pay. Your account page shows when your plan returns to Spotify Free. Until then, you can continue to take advantage of the premium benefits.
After your premium subscription expires, you can still log in to your account, play songs, and access your saved music and playlists. However, you hear announcements between the songs and cannot mix albums and songs—artist than outside of Spotify playlists.
We recommend that you cancel your subscription well in advance of your next billing date to avoid future payment.
If you cancel a Spotify account, you will automatically return to a free account that you can continue to use at no additional cost. You’ll still have access to the same music, playlists, and friends’ connections, with the restriction that announcements will play between songs. If you want to delete a Spotify account so that it no longer exists, you have to go through a slightly more complicated process.