Statistically, the introduction of Instagram stories has increased the normal time an average user spends on the app to up ten more minutes. Well, as much as that additional ten minutes mean people can focus on your stories, it will not mean anything if you cannot get something out of it and direct potential customers to your website. Making sure to add a link to an Instagram story is a new way to generate traffic on your brand.
A lot of people are still not convinced that adding links to Instagram stories can be very useful and greatly impact your business. Ten more minutes on your story is a lot of time for you not to take advantage of.
Based on a 2019 statistical Instagram analysis, the social media platform host in excess of 1 billion active users on a monthly basis, and 60% of this number will find a product on the platform. That is 600 million people.
Of these 600 million, 75% will make a move and patronize the business. Now you can see from these numbers why it is very important to make use of adding links to Instagram stories as much as possible. If you own a business and you are intent on increasing your customers as well as your reach, adding links to your Instagram story is a cost-effective way of gaining this without having to promote your business. As we all know, your Instagram story will stay at the top of your followers’ feed for a whole day.
This is 24 hours to get new customers. Adding links to your Instagram Story will go a long way in converting many of your followers to paying customers, so you should definitely take the next few minutes to know how to add links to your Instagram story. If you don’t already know how to, you are not alone.
Do know that to add links to your Instagram story, you must be verified or have more than 10,000 people following you on a business account. If you have checked this out and you either have a verified account or have more than 10,000 followers, how then are you able to add a link to your Instagram story? How can this great social marketing tool be exploited to bring full advantages? Here are the steps to follow to add a link to your Instagram story.
How to Add a Link to an Instagram story
- To open a new Instagram story, tap the camera icon. When you are on your Instagram feed, the camera icon is located at the upper left corner of your screen just above world stories. You should have gotten it.
- As soon as you have tapped the camera and opened it, you are given the option to either take a picture or record a video or boomerang. You also have the option to go to your library should in case the picture or video you want to upload is saved on your device. Do note that only pictures taken in the last 24 hours will be displayed. If it has been more than 24 hours, simply take a screenshot so you can find it.
- Next up, click on the insert link option, which is represented with a chain icon. It is the second icon after the save/download icon.
- Next, a window will display on your screen, and you will be able to enter a link.
- Ensure you click done when you are done. It could also be the green checkmark that represents done in your own Instagram version, all the same.
- You will be redirected to the story you made once you are done, and the chain icon highlighted.
Having Less than 10,000 Followers
What if you do not have up to 10,000 followers yet, and you really need to post a link? Well, there is nothing you can do for now. But do not worry, the add link to Instagram stories function was introduced only to those with 1 million followers at first, and now it’s down to 10,000 followers. It will definitely get to you. Don’t have 10,000 followers yet?
- Also, do not forget to put a call to action. Before confirming you want to add the story, it is advisable you add a call to action. Call to action is a form of motivation or a ‘push’ for potential customers to take a step. It is advisable to tell your potential customers to take a step and contact you once they have seen the link you added to your Instagram story.
- Some of the examples of a call to action are “swipe up”, “swipe for more information, “swipe up to shop”, “swipe up for more”, “see more” and so on. You are free to get creative, just add something that ‘pushes’ your potential customer to enter your DM to enquire about the product.
- Once that has been done, you can add the content with the link you added to your Instagram story.
We hope you get to make the best out of Instagram with this guide. However, there are more features to explore on Instagram, like the dark mode. Make a search on our platform and find out more about these features.