They are two ways to backup iPhone, iPad, and iPad and two different procedures. You can backup iPhone automatically using iCloud and iTunes. You can also backup iPhone manually online using iTunes or iCloud. Whichever procedure you choose, both procedure will help backup your iPhone online.
However, in this guide I will share with you how to backup iPhone online without iTunes, how to backup iPhone with iTunes, and how to use iCloud as a means to backup your iPhone. Also, I will share light on iCloud vs. iTunes iPhone online backup and which is the best to use.
Table of Contents
Why You Should Backup iPhone
A lot iPhone users learn how to backup their iPhone when they lost their iOS device to a cold hand of a thief or when they’re phone fell into a pit or into a toilet and they need to retrieve their phone information like iPhone contacts, iPhone messages, iPhone photos, and iPhone gift cards.
However, when you backup your iPhone before any unfortunate event happens, you will be able to retrieve all your lost files on your phone. Meanwhile, upgrading your iOS constantly may lead to loss of information on your iOS devices such as iPhone, iPad, and iPod. But with a valid backup file online you can easily restore the backup to your phone and have all your files available again.
Another benefit when you backup your iPhone include the privilege to move all files automatically to a new iPhone without doing it manually.
iTunes Backup Vs. iCloud Backup
As I said earlier that they are two ways to backup iPhone online. The two ways are using iCloud and iTunes. Both store iPhone data but on different storage.
iCloud helps to backup your iPhone online either automatically or manually based on your preferred option in an online store called “iCloud”.
Meanwhile, iTunes save your iPhone backup such as photos, messages, call history, and other information on your iPhone to your PC or Mac. This means that, if your PC or Mac have enough space you can download and install iTunes on your computer to store iPhone information offline.
How to Backup iPhone to iCloud
They are two ways to backup iPhone to iCloud. You can backup your iPhone to iCloud automatically and you can do same manually. Manual backup simply means you trigger your iPhone with your iCloud account manually to save a copy of your iPhone data online. While the automatic backup will backup all your iPhone files automatically based on the instruction.
Backup iPhone Automatically to iCloud
iCloud makes it very easy to backup your iPhone for free when you file size is still within a sizeable range of 5GB which is given for free by iCloud. However, before you initiate backup you must first check whether you have enough storage space on your iPhone otherwise you will need to buy more space for a token.
1. Login to your iCloud to check your iCloud storage capacity
2. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on in Settings > [your phone name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Backup.
3. Make sure you have 100% battery or connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to power source
4. Connect your iPhone to a network [Wi-Fi or Mobile Network] to sync your iPhone backup with iCloud
5. Tap to lock your iPhone screen to avoid third-party alteration
5. Click Backup button option to start backing up your iPhone to iCloud
How to Backup iPhone Manually
1. Connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to Wi-Fi network before you start backing up your iPhone
2. Navigate to Settings, click on your name and tap iCloud. (If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings, then scroll down and tap iCloud)
3. Click on Backup Button to start backing up your iPhone
Now you iPhone backup will begin instantly and will be stored on the iCloud. Meanwhile, you have to go through this process every day to copy your iPhone files to iCloud. Which this can be a little bit stressful you should consider backing up your iPhone to iCloud automatically following the step procedure shared above.
How to Backup iPhone to iTunes
Backup iPhone to iTunes is the second best option to copy your iPhone photos, messages, call history, and apps to your PC or Mac manually. While this is more stressful compared to iCloud backup because this has to be done manually each and every time you want to backup your iPhone to iTunes.
1. First, download and install iTunes on your PC or Mac
2. Launch iTunes software [Click on iTunes icons on your computer] and connect your iPhone to your computer with USB
3. From the popup on iTunes software select your on iPhone. Select “Encrypt” backup box and create a password
4. Click on Backup Now on the iTunes
Finally, write down your iTunes password for future use because there is no other way to restore your iPhone backup from iTunes without the encrypted password you created above.