It is very essential to clean Oculus lenses frequently as dust and sweat get accumulated on them over time since it’s the direct intermediary between the use and virtual reality. In this article, you will learn how to clean Oculus Lenses correctly and also get to know the right accessories to use in cleaning the device.
Since cosmetic wear and tear, physical damages are not covered under warranty, you need to clean Oculus Lenses from time to time to avoid bacteria growth that could be caused by your sweat on your Oculus Quest VR headset.
However, there are steps you need to follow to avoid having fingerprints, scratches, and smudges on the lenses of your VR headset. If the steps are not followed accurately, then the whole experience will be ruined by blurry vision.
You don’t have to worry. Here, in this post, we will take you through the cleaning process, from the tools needed to the best methods to use. To clean Oculus lenses is quite straightforward but you need to be extra careful. Read on to learn the best practices to keep your VR headset sparkling clean.
The Oculus lenses are also one of the most fragile elements of the Virtual Reality headset. They are specifically vulnerable to fingerprints, scratches, and dust. This is why it is very important to clean it regularly, with the right accessories and in the most accurate way. Since the state of cleanliness of the Oculus lenses can affect the immersion experience.
Why Clean Oculus Lenses?
Similar to the LCDs and camera lenses, the Oculus Quest lenses are vulnerable to accumulating oil smears and dust over time. This is because the Oculus lenses often come in contact with your face while wearing the headset and with your fingers while touching it.
Your Oculus Quest lenses could also pick up dust from the environment, especially when you leave them uncovered without using them for a long time.
You can’t enjoy your VR headset with dust all over the lenses, therefore, it is very essential to keep the lenses always clean to enjoy virtual reality and also make your headset last longer.
You can make use of a dust cover to prevent your Oculus lens from dust and dirt. This might not work perfectly because the dust cover itself can lead to a moisture build-up on the lenses over time which is also not safe. Relax, this post will show you how to clean oculus lenses safely and easily.
Scientists found that SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for COVID-19 can be detected in aerosols for up to three hours and on plastic for about 72 hours, that is 3 days according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The influenza virus can as well live for the same amount of time and a runny nose will halt a VR session.
How Often Should I Clean Oculus Lenses?
Once you notice that your Oculus lenses are dirty, then it’s time to clean it. However, it is recommended that you clean Oculus lenses before and after each gaming session. This will ensure that your lenses are free from every accumulated dust while the headset was not in use and from oil stains on your face after wearing the VR headset for a gaming session.
Another way to protect the VR headset from long-term damage is by observing a weekly or bi-weekly routine cleaning of the lenses even if you don’t plan to use it soon.
Oculus Cleaning Kit
Not every material or accessory is safe on your Oculus lens, you need to make use of the right accessories and hygiene products. Just before you clean Oculus lenses, you need to be properly equipped.
Since lenses are very fragile and their condition is linked directly to the Virtual Reality experience. Although, some particular regular cleaning means are either risky or not sufficiently functional for the condition of the lenses. For instance, a simple cleaning cloth.
Based on the textile with which the cleaning cloth is made and also how neat it is, your lenses could be easily scratched or soiled if you do not use the appropriate material. The same goes for products that are too liquid, chemical, or substances that contain alcohol. These can mortify the top layer of lenses and unrepairable damage to them.
VR lenses can easily pick up dirt and dust, which can cause issues while enjoying your VR experience. To clean the lenses of a VR headset appropriately, you can use the following:
- Lens pen
- Soft brush
- Can of Compressed Air
- Microfiber Cloth
- Wet wipes
- Clean cloth
LENS PEN: This is used for cleaning the specially coated lenses, which you can use on an SLR camera. Lens pens are cheap, but obviously, there are many fakes around. Therefore, you need to read reviews and ensure it’s a known camera accessory brand. You will turn the lens pen over and use the carbon tip to remove any greasy smudges. That’s it!
SOFT BRUSH: You use the soft brush to gently remove any dust and dirt particles first as they can be abrasive when polishing before using the lens pen.
CAN OF COMPRESSED AIR: Using compressed air canisters can make your cleaning much easier. A compressed air canister comes with a thin straw (which has to be inserted in the spray tube of the can) majorly, which helps to blow the dust off the lenses and even the complete internal chamber of the headset. You can easily get them in electronic stores and they are not too expensive.
MICROFIBER CLOTH: A microfiber cloth is the best way to clean your VR lenses. Microfibre cloths are clothes made from synthetic fiber that can be used for cleaning lenses. Any microfibre cloth of good quality, that is lint-free will clean Oculus lenses perfectly. Microfibre cloths that come in packs are great choices since they can be used repeatedly and are also very affordable.
SPRAY: This is another important cleaning kit for VR lenses. You may be provided this spray by various VR manufacturers.
WET WIPES: This is another efficient cleaning kit. Wipes are something to look out for too when cleaning your VR lenses. They should be alcohol-free, so as not to leave any residue traces behind, and they should kill about 99.9% of the bacteria that could be setting up a “camp” on your headset.
Microfiber Cloth for VR Lenses
A microfiber cloth is a cloth made from synthetic fiber that makes it perfect for lens cleaning. VR lenses are similar to any other camera lenses any good quality microfibre cloth will do a clean job.
Microfibre cloths are cheap and can be used again. Different VR manufacturers sometimes supply you with cleaning kits that are suitable for your lenses. These VR lens cleaning kits usually contain a cleaning spray, wet wipes, and a cloth.
How to Clean Oculus Quest Lenses
Do you own an Oculus Rift headset or a Quest? Then this method works for both sets of lenses. You will need an optical lens microfiber cloth.
Do your lenses get blurry when you use the Oculus Quest headset, and you don’t know what to do? The solution is right here, all you need do is follow the required steps. You must clean your lenses appropriately after every gaming session, but how do you do that? Check below!
There are diverse ways to clean Oculus lenses, such as using physical and chemical cleansers.
- You can make use of soft fabric that will not cause any scratches to the lenses.
- The second option is using compressed air, which is an easier way of purification.
In case you want to get more information about both methods, then you can continue reading this article.
How to Clean Oculus Rift Lenses
The process involves in cleaning the Oculus Rift lenses is also similar to the way you clean Oculus lenses themselves, follow the steps below to clean Oculus rift lenses:
- To remove any dust from your lens, you can make use of compressed air.
- A thin straw will be added to the can so that it can be used in spray spouts for better accuracy.
- Spray the headset all around, (including the corners of the headset) with compressed air, do this in bits and ensure that you are not spraying the lenses directly.
- To maintain a safe distance, make sure that you keep the nozzle of the can 2 to 3 inches away from the lens.
- Wipe the lens with a dry microfiber cloth, similar to those used for cleaning eyeglasses, which is ideal.
- Never use water or liquid cleaners on your lenses as they can cause damage to the electronic components.
- Begin at the center of your lens and start wiping in a circular motion. Continue to wipe the lens in larger circles till it reaches the edge. If necessary, you can repeat this same process about 2 to 3 times depending on how dirty it is.
- For additional protection, you can cut phone screen protectors to fit your lenses (You can do this by buying phone screen protectors that can be cut to fit your lenses). You can always change them whenever they get dirty, streaky, or maybe dusty.
Are you using a VR headset? Then you must ensure to keep the lenses clean. You can as well use a VR cover to keep the lenses clean. Just ensure you clean the VR cover regularly. The majority of electronic supply shops and hardware shops sell compressed air cans.
How to Clean Oculus Lenses without Microfiber Cloth
The microfibre cloths you purchase don’t have to be official manufacturer standard, just ensure they are suitable for cleaning lenses.
When it comes to microfiber cloths, it’s recommended you buy them on Amazon. They are made of soft materials (which is something you should take note of) and are made essentially for cleaning VR lenses.
However, you can clean Oculus lenses without Microfiber cloth, follow the steps below:
- Place the front cover of the VR headset on a flat, clean surface so that the inside of the headset and the lenses can face you (you can as well place a towel or any other soft intermediary between the work surface and the front of the helmet to avoid any risk of damage to the tracking sensors).
- Keep one of your hands throughout the cleaning session, to ensure that the helmet is firmly held by one of its sides to prevent it from tipping over to one side or the other.
- With the aid of the other hand, clean using the selected accessory or kit (Lens Pen, wipe, spray, etc…).
- Finally, clean the lenses and prepare them for the next use. You may use an anti-fog spray with a long-lasting effect that allows the conservation of a clear image. It’s simple, just apply it on a suitable cloth, rub it on the lenses and wait for a minute to allow it to get dry.
- That’s it! Now, you can clean Oculus lenses without Microfiber cloth.
Safety Tips to Clean Oculus Lenses
Since you now know how to clean Oculus lenses, you need to ensure that you don’t damage your headset, below are a few precautionary measures you should take to help you keep your lenses in good shape:
- Never use water when cleaning your VR lenses.
- Water can damage your VR headset, and it can also cause your device to malfunction.
- Dry cleaning is the best you can do to keep your VR lenses clean!
- Soaps contain some kind of bleach that leave uncleanable traces which you don’t want to see on your lenses.
- Too much soap can also botch your VR headset’s electronics.
- Harsh cleaning products usually leave marks and scratches on VR lenses.
- Clean the external parts of your headset with liquid cleansers or wipes, however, avoid using them around your lenses because a direct application of liquid cleansers or wipes containing disinfectants or alcohol can damage your Oculus lenses.
- Sharp objects like keys, scissors, knives USB cable tips can scratch your lenses, therefore, keep your Oculus headset away from these sharp objects.
- Keep your headset away from direct sunlight to protect the lens from cracking. The sun can permanently damage the Oculus lenses.
- Finally, avoid keeping your headset in extremely hot places or close to heat sources.
Avoid these at all costs. You can simply make use of the microfiber cloth. It’s less stressful and very fast to use.
Without any further ado, your VR headset needs some regular maintenance. However, it’s not expensive to take good care of your VR headset. You only need to pay special attention to the lenses, since they are the most sensitive and fragile part of any VR headset.
As long as you perform proper maintenance on your VR headset regularly, you are bound to get unlimited years of virtual reality entertainment without any issue. To clean Oculus lenses is not hard after all. Now, you know why you should clean your lens regularly whether you use it often or not.
Keeping your Oculus lenses clean is a better option than buying a new VR headset for now and then. I hope you agree with me? This is all about how to clean Oculus lenses. Feel free to drop your comments in the section below.