Have you recently encountered an issue with your Chromecast and you have no idea what to do about it to get it back to its default settings, and you are thinking that you might have to buy a new one or get a repairer by visiting the Google office?
I think that will cost you a lot of trouble; I decided to write this short article to help you navigate through and solve your issues without stepping out of your door by showing you how to reset your Chromecast.
Before I walk you through the process of helping you reset your Chromecast, I think you should know what a Chromecast is beforehand to give you an insight into what you are dealing with.
Firstly, what is a Chromecast? A Chromecast is referred to as one of the digital media players that Google developed in 2013 as a small dongle that can be used to play internet-streamed, visual, audio content on any high-definition television or home theatre system.
The user usually controls this device to playback using a mobile device or personal computer through internet apps that support the Google cast protocol. It can also be controlled using a Google Assistant. Another version of the Chromecast was introduced in 2015, while the latest was introduced in 2020.
You might be wondering what a dongle is. A dongle is any small device inserted into an electronic device like a computer or television which alters its function. There are different examples of dongles: USB cords, wireless modems, adapters, flash drives, etc.
To reset your Chromecast, you need to be familiar with the version you have; it could either be the oldest version or the newest version.
What Does a Chromecast Look Like?
Most of the latest version of a Google Chromecast looks like a mini disc-shaped body with a short HDMI cable attached to it, allowing easy access to any electronic gadget. The newest version introduced in 2020 powers any Android Television operating system.
What Are the Benefits of a Chromecast Device?
It is simply used for streaming media players, such as music and videos, which means that it picks content from the internet such as Netflix, HBO MAX, Disney, and so on and brings it on your tv.
NOTE: it does not work for any of the Apple services like the Apple Tv+, iTunes, etc.
There are a few reasons why your Chromecast is not working, and a few of them are;
- Check if your Wifi is switched on.
- You need to restart your WiFi router or Modem.
- You might have to do an update for your chrome browser.
- Be sure that both your mobile and Chromecast devices are on the same network.
- Make sure that the Chromecast device is correctly connected to your tv.
- You might have to do a factory reset on your Chromecast device.
I will be directing you on how to factory reset your Chromecast with these few steps:
How to Reset your Chromecast Device
You might need to reset the device if you have just gotten a new wireless router or if you are having issues with the device.
There are two ways in which you can reset your Chromecast device, and they are:
- Manual or using the reset button
- Resetting using the Google Home App
How to Reset Chromecast Manually
Manual resetting is done majorly on the device itself and you;
- While the Chromecast is still connected to the TV, start by long-pressing a round reset button and hold until the device’s light starts flashing and at this point, you can stop pressing the reset button.
- immediately disconnect the power cable from the USB gadget and wait a few more seconds before connecting the Chromecast back in. This will automatically complete the Chromecast’s factory reset procedures, and you can start setting up your device as a brand new one again.
How To Use A Google Home App To Reset The Chromecast Device
This resetting method is only applicable to the second and third versions of the Chromecast models alone. Where the Chromecast app is located differ from the other generations.
Still, if it has just been recently installed, you will be able to find the downloads or files depending on whether you are using a computer or your mobile phone.
And if you are having a hard time locating it, you can click the menu option and search Chromecast at the search bar. Clicking on it will lead you to your destined folder.
- On your Android, tablet, or ios device, click on the Google Home app icon to open it and open the device settings.
- By the bottom right-hand side of the mobile screen, select the Account button which shows as a small stick figure’s head inside a circle.
- Choose the Chromecast device you want to reset.
- Navigate down to the Settings option located at the top right of the Google Home app.
- An option will be displayed with three vertical dotted lines(…).
- Click on the Factory reset option.
The last method of resetting a Chromecast device only applies to the latest generation Chromecast, and this has Google Tv built in it.
- On your Tv home screen, click your profile picture located on the right side just after you have power on your Tv.
- A setting option will be displayed from the menu option, then click the ‘System’ option.
- Navigate down and choose ‘About.’
- Click the ‘Factory reset’ and select the ‘Confirm’ option to reset your Chromecast device.
- The next display on your screen shows the ‘Erase/clear everything’ option. And there you go with the factory reset.
What happens after you have factory reset your Chromecast device? You will have to set up Chromecast again by leaving the Chromecast connected to the Tv while the white light is still indicating.
- Tap the setup option.
- Click on the set-up of new devices.
- Select the ‘Home‘ option or create a new device.
- Press the ‘next’ option.
- Select the ‘Yes’ option when the screen shows “Chromecast found.”
Have it at the back of your mind that after you have confirmed to reset your Chromecast device, there is no way to recover any lost data or information, so be sure before making this decision to reset your device.
The recommended option to not lose all your stored data is by pressing down the side button of the Chromecast when it is still plugged into the television and waiting till the white light starts flashing on the device, and the television goes blank.
This process will redirect you the reboot process, and you can set it accordingly. This method is considered the safest and the most reliable process of resetting the Chromecast device.
If, after these steps and you still realize that your device is not functioning the way it should, you might be left with the option of taking it back to any gadget outlet near you provided it is within the year of warranty on the device it comes with any.
I hope that my article has been able to provide you with the necessary solution required for your Chromecast device.