In case you are looking for how to set up Alexa on your Amazon Echo, then you are in the right place. We would show you how to do this so that you can begin to enjoy the voice command feature. So, if you just got yourself an Amazon Echo, we would walk you through the entire process of making it work.
With Alexa, you can get answers to questions, set reminders, play radio, and even give weather forecasts. You can link all your smart home gadgets with Alexa so that you can use voice commands to control them. This would require a longer process, but we would show you. Follow our detailed guide below to find out how to set up Alexa on your Amazon Echo.
How to Set Up Alexa on your Amazon Echo
We split all the steps to set Alexa on Amazon Echo below.
Set up Alexa
To set up Alexa, just follow the steps below.
- First, connect your Echo to the power supply.
- Then install the Amazon Alexa application on your iPhone or Android device.
- Launch the app and select the Devices icon then, click on the ‘+’ symbol.
- After this, just follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Echo to your WiFi. Then, Alexa is set and ready to work.
Set up an Echo or Echo Dot
- Start by connecting your Echo to a power supply.
- Then, you will see a LED circling at the top of your Echo. After some time, Alexa would ask you to use the application to complete the setup.
- To use your Echo, you would need an amazon account, so if you do not have one yet, you can quickly sign up here. Note that you do not need to have an Amazon Prime subscription to be able to do this.
- Once you launch the Alexa app, select the Devices tab, and then click on the ‘+’ symbol, which you would see at the top.
- Then select Add Device and click on Amazon Echo afterward.
- Select the correct model of your Echo then you would see something appear under the Available Devices icon on the Select your icon page. You might also get a prompt asking you to select your language.
- Ensure that you can see the orange light on your Echo. If you don’t, you might need to reset it. Each device has a different reset procedure so consult the amazon website for instructions on how to reset your own device. Although, in most cases, you might just need to press and hold the ‘action’ button until you see the orange light.
- Once you see the orange light, just Continue and select your WiFi network to get connected. You would then get a prompt asking you to enter your password. Once you do, the screen would inform you that your Echo is online.
- Alexa would then announce to you that she is ready to go. However, for certain Echo models, you would get to see a final screen offering help on connecting speakers.
- To be sure the connection was successful, test your Echo by saying “Alexa, what’s the time?” and she would reply to you, telling you the current time.
However, if you own more than one Echo device, not that you would need to set up each one individually with the application.
By default, ‘Alexa’ is the wake word for your Echo but you can always change this if you want. To do this, just go to the settings on the Alexa app and you can select from the options. The options include “Amazon”, “Echo” or “Computer.” Note that you would not be able to select your own wake word.
To locate your settings in the app, just click on the three horizontal bars at the top right corner of your screen. From the menu, you can select Settings.
To make Alexa more useful, then you should consider setting your location in the Alexa application. Once again, you can do this in the settings, on the menu page as well. You can also change your units of measurement for distance as well as weather forecasts.
You would also see the ‘Things To Try’ where you would get a full introduction to Alexa’s capability.
How to Set Up an Echo Show
If you own an Echo that comes with a screen, you can do this set up without needing a phone or tablet. All you need to do is connect your Echo to a power supply and simply follow the instructions you would see on the screen. You would see an on-screen keyboard that would allow you to type your Amazon account details as well as your WiFi password.
Alternatively, you can choose to swipe down from the top of your Echo Show screen to get the settings and shortcuts too.
You should also read on how to control your TV with Alexa here.
Now that you have set up Alexa successfully, you can begin to enjoy its voice command feature. In case you are having difficulties following this guide, feel free to let us know in the comments below.