In other to stay in the rhythm and listen to your music everywhere you may find yourself, simply pair Spotify with an external device to keep you in the mood. In this article, we would give a guide on how to pair Spotify with any device.
The Spotify music streaming service has been highly popular and has been loved by many users. It has grown over the years to garner a wide library of audio and video content from users all across the world. One of its best features however is its ability to connect to external devices.
You can pair Spotify with any device using Spotify Connect. This is however a Spotify feature that allows you to access Spotify using an external device. It makes listening to music and podcasts easier on the go. You however would still need a phone or device to control this feature. Your phone in this instant would just serve as a controller.
Pairing Spotify helps you to easily switch streaming devices as you move along with your daily life. From home to office, to your car, you can always use the Spotify connect feature with external devices wherever you find yourself.
Note that to use this feature, you need to be a Spotify Premium user. The Spotify premium plans cost about $9.99.
How to Activate Spotify Connect
Spotify Connect is a feature that has been embedded in the Spotify app available on all Android and iOS versions of Spotify. This feature can however only be unlocked by subscribing to the Premium version of Spotify.
The features can control other connected devices from speakers and smart TVs to tablets and headphones. To pair Spotify with other devices using Spotify Connect, you can follow these procedures.
- Launch the Spotify app from your smartphone.
- On the main tab, simply go to your Music.
- Play any song on your Music playlist.
- On the lower right corner of the screen, you would see a speaker icon with a circle around it, simply click on this icon.
- You would be able to see all devices connected to the same network as your Spotify.
- From the list of connected devices, click on the device you would want to play your music on.
- The Spotify app would automatically transfer playback to this selected device.
How to Pair Spotify with external devices
PCs, tablets, and smartphones are some of the most common devices that are usually paired with Spotify using Spotify connect. Other external devices such as wireless earbuds, headsets, e.t.c. can also be paired but they are without playback control.
Android devices are easier to set music playback on compared to iOS devices. This is due to certain restrictions by Apple about connecting external apps to their products. There are however some easy getaways from such restrictions. Here are ways to pair Spotify with some of these devices.
How to pair Spotify with Android and iOS devices
Streaming Spotify on android and iOS is quite simple. Just ensure you have the app downloaded to your device. You can access the same contents using the same account even when you sign in to different devices, you can however only access one device at a time using one account. You can use your account log-in to access the same content. However, be mindful of the fact that you can only use one device at a time to access Spotify.
You can download music content offline using the Spotify app as long as you are subscribed to a premium account. To download music on Spotify using your Android device or iOS, simply follow these steps.
- Download the Spotify app if you don’t have it yet. You can download it from the Google Play Store or the iOS apps store.
- Once downloaded, open the Spotify app on your smartphone, you would be required to log in to your Spotify account.
- From the list of devices on Spotify software, select your smartphone.
- Sync your device with Spotify by clicking on your device name.
- Now choose the playlists that you want to be downloaded offline.
- Using this feature, you can choose to sync all music to your mobile device storage or probably select the specific music you want to be downloaded to your device.
- This feature would copy files from your Spotify playlist to the local storage or SD card on your smartphone.
- Syncing should begin automatically.
- After syncing process is complete, you would find the downloaded music on your local storage.
How to Pair Spotify with Apple watch
An Apple Watch can receive and send emails, make calls and do virtually everything a smartphone would do which includes listening to music and podcasts. You can also access the Spotify app on your Apple watch once you have it installed on the device, you however need to connect an iPhone to the watch.
Spotify works on Apple watches with Operating System version 4.0. Here is how to pair Spotify with an Apple watch. Before, starting this process, however, ensure that you already have a Spotify account.
- Using your iPhone, simply launch the watch app.
- Go to the menu that shows installed devices on your apple watch and check if Spotify has been installed on the device.
- If Spotify has not been installed on your apple watch, simply go to available apps on your Apps Store to install Spotify.
- Once the Spotify app has been installed on your device. Launch the Spotify app either using your iPhone or the Apple watch itself.
- From your playlist, you can now select the song you want to play using your device. You however can’t see the full Spotify interface on your apple watch and can’t control playback using the watch.
- Simply click on the Spotify connect icon on your Apple watch.
- From the list of devices that appears, select the iOS device connected to the watch.
- Once this connection is established, you can now control playback using your device.
How to Pair Spotify with Smart Speakers
Pairing Spotify with Smart Speakers is an innovative way to enjoy music hands-free wherever you are. You can easily change the music or playlist using the app on your device. This gives you access to convenient and high-quality music at its peak. It also reduces the effort it takes to play music using just the Spotify app.
Here is how to pair Spotify with Smart Speakers using the Spotify connect feature. In this guide, however, we would be explaining how to pair Spotify with two popular smart speakers. Google Home and Amazon Smart Speakers.
Pair Spotify with Google Home
- From your Android device, open the Google Home app. If you don’t have it, you may have to download it from Google Play Store.
- Once on the app, in the upper left corner on the app, you would find three vertical lines. Click on it.
- Under this, select “Account Preferences”.
- Then select “Manage Connected Accounts”.
- You would be provided with a list of devices and software you can connect with this app. Simply search for Spotify and select it.
- Once selected, you would find on the right side of the software a link button. Click on this.
- You would get a confirmation for linkage appearing on your notification tab.
- Select “Link Accounts”
- Read the privacy terms and policies and click “Agree”.
- You can now start playing music on Google Home using Spotify.
Pair Spotify with Amazon Smart Speakers
- From your smartphone, launch the Amazon Alexa app.
- On the upper left corner of the screen, you would find three vertical lines. Click on it.
- Under this tab, you would see the Select button. Open it and select Music and Podcasts.
- Select Link New Service.
- The Amazon Alexa app would provide you with tonnes of music streaming services of which include Spotify.
- Select Spotify and open the page. Now select Enable to Use.
- Upon selecting this, you would be prompted to sign in to your Spotify account. Please do so and log in to your account.
- A confirmation upon pairing your Spotify account would be displayed on your notification bar.
- You can now start playing music using your Amazon Smart Speaker.
How to Pair Spotify with Smart TV
Some Smart TVs such as Samsung Smart TV, Vizio Smart TV, Fire TV, Android TV, Roku TV, Apple TV, and LG Smart TV have in-app stores where you can download the Spotify app directly. You can however still integrate the Spotify app from your smartphone to your Smart TV using Spotify connect.
You can pair Spotify with your Smart TV using these steps:
- Ensure that your Smart TV and your device have a secured and stable internet connection and make sure they are connected to the same network.
- From your Smart TV, visit your apps store and download Spotify. Apps store varies depending on the device you are using.
- On the apps store, you can just use the search icon to search for the Spotify app and install it.
- Launch the Spotify app on your smartphone. If you don’t have it, you would need to download it.
- From your playlist, you can select any music to play.
- On the left-hand panel of the app, you would see a tab that shows all devices available to pair Spotify with.
- Click on your choice of device you want to pair Spotify with.
How to Pair Spotify with Car Speakers
You can pair Spotify with your car Speakers using several methods. This would enable you to listen to Playlist on the go without getting distracted. You can pair Spotify with Car speakers using one of the following methods:
- Using an AUX or a USB cord.
- Using Bluetooth
- Using a USB drive
- Using Android Auto or Car Play
Of these options, pairing Spotify to your Car speakers using Android Auto or Car Play is still the most preferable option. It has the Spotify app already integrated into its software. You use Android Auto for Android devices and Car Play for iOS devices.
Pair Spotify using AUX or USB
- Ensure you have the correct type of cable connector to connect to your phone.
- Locate the AUX or USB port in your car and connect the first end cable to the car’s stereo port and connect the other end to your phone’s stereo port.
- Switch the car stereo player on and select AUX input.
- You can now launch Spotify on your smartphone and start playing from your Playlist.
Pair Spotify using Bluetooth
- Turn on your car stereo and go to settings.
- Go to Bluetooth and turn it on.
- You can alternatively use the input method to set your stereo to Bluetooth mode.
- Also, turn on the Bluetooth for your smartphone and connect to your car’s Bluetooth.
- You would see your car’s Bluetooth from the options provided.
- Once this is done, open the Spotify app and play any music from your playlist.
- The Spotify app would display a large icon on the Now Playing view on your phone screen.
- From this icon at the bottom of your screen, you can easily navigate between songs and control playback seamlessly.
Pair Spotify using Android Auto or Car Play
If you are using Android Auto for Android.
- Start your vehicle.
- Simply plug in your phone through the USB Port
- Launch the Spotify app.
If you are using Car Play for iOS
- Start your vehicle and ensure Siri is active.
- Connect your Phone to your car. You can do this using a USB cable or wirelessly.
- Open your iPhone and go to Settings.
- Click on General and then click on CarPlay.
- Choose your car from the list.
Make sure you confirm on the Spotify website to see if your car software includes the Spotify app. Some vehicles however require Spotify Premium to play music on Spotify.
How to Pair Spotify with other Devices
The list of devices that can connect with Spotify is quite a lot. If you own wireless speakers, smart displays, streaming devices, or gaming consoles they can also be integrated or connected with Spotify. It is also possible to pair Spotify with certain wireless earbuds and headphones. You can pair these devices using Spotify connect by following these procedures.
- Launch Spotify on any of your smartphones or PC.
- From your playlist, choose any song to start playing.
- Select the Spotify to connect icon on the bottom screen. It looks like a speaker with a ring around it.
- Once you’ve clicked on it, you would see a list of available devices you can connect to.
- The Spotify connect software would however only pick devices that are connected to the same internet network as it is.
- From this tab, you can now select the device you want to pair your Spotify account with.
If you can’t find available devices using this setup, simply go to settings and click on Available Devices.
How to troubleshoot Spotify connect
During the integration process, it is very possible your device might not show up on the list of devices under Spotify Connect, you can rectify this by turning off “Show Local Devices Only” under your settings page.
This would prompt Spotify to search and locate devices that are bot on the same internet connection as you. To do this, simply follow this process.
- Go to the Home page on the Spotify app
- Go to the settings icon and open it.
- Click on “Devices”
- Turn off the icon that states “Show Local devices Only”.
- Then try connecting your device again.
Spotify can pair with a huge range of devices and applications from Bluetooth speakers to Smart TVs. It is compatible with digital assistants like Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant. You can even use the app on Tinder, Bumble, and more of such applications.
Spotify has gained popularity worldwide with close to 300 million active users as of the second quarter of 2020. Its free features come with great packages and good streaming quality. Its level of integration arguably surpasses Apple Music as there are lots of great reviews about the app and its feasibility and quality compared to other similar apps. You may also want to check out how to use the Spotify web player.