What is Android auto? How do you set up Android auto? How to update Android auto? These are what we will consider here in this guide. If you have either an Android phone, the Android auto is an important invention and innovation to bring convenience to all Android users while driving you cannot afford to miss.
Google have brought so much fun and convenience to using Android smartphone such as using the Google Maps with AR, using voice control on your Android, the Google assistance feature (is one important of a sort).
However, all these features are brought to make sure the Android OS and other gadgets work hand-in-hand without interrupting others. So, if this is the first time you are hearing about the Google AndroidAuto you will want to stay and read this guide to the end to see how the AndroidAuto works and why you need it.
What is Google Android Auto?
Google Android auto is simply a new feature in your Android phone to clone your phone screen to your car dashboard (if compatible) so that you can easily control your phone tapping on your car dashboard rather than concentrating on your smartphone which might bring confusion on the highway while driving.
With the help of the Google Assistant, you have a simplified Android menu on your car in-dash with large button, access to apps on your phone, voice control, etc to use and manage your phone in a bigger screen and right in front of you on your car dashboard.
Features of Google Android Auto
What is so spectacular about this new AndroidAuto that got people talking?
1. Talk to your Google Assistant
With Google assistance and Google Android Auto, you can stay focus while driving and control your phone. Once you discover that your car is compatible with the Google AndroidAuto, you can use the “OK Google” to send information to the new feature and control other aspects of your phone using your voice instead of your hand. The voice tag does the job in a similar way you hand would do it.
However, to initiate the Google assistance you need to long-press the menu button on your phone and the Google assistance feature will come up for use.
2. Access to Google Maps
Google Maps is at its best use with the new AR and get relevant information about traffic and congestion ahead of you. With this Android auto feature, you can easily tap into the traffic information ahead to know which route is free to drive and which one will give you a headache on your way home.
Even with the Google traffic to work guide, this new Google Maps AR seems to be the done-deal feature to make driving very easy.
3. Stay Connected while Driving
You can stay connected with your loved ones while driving on the phone and social media. The Google Android auto coupled with the dashboard (compatibility) you will see a bigger screen of who send you messages and respond with a voice using the Google assistant.
However, for convenience sake, Google assistance is what you need to get the best of the Android auto on your phone and your car.
4. Plug and Play
If you are a music fan this feature is designed to meet your daily need. Once your car is confirmed compatible you can plug your smartphone to your car using a USB.
The Google AndroidAuto is compatible with most popular car brand around you including Toyota, Honda, Acura, Mazda, Nissan, Peugeot, etc.
Android Auto Update Phone Compatible
Your phone must be running on either of the Android OS below to be able to download, install Android Auto and connect to your car.
- Android Lollipop 5.0 (Minimum)
- Android Marshmallow 6.0 (for better performance)
- Android Nougat 7.0
- Android Oreo 8.0
- Android Pie 9.0
- Android Q
If you are using Android 4.0 you will need to upgrade your phone to any of the above OS or buy a phone with any of the above OS to using the Android auto-update on your phone.
Download Android Auto App
Some phones have the Android auto feature when they upgrade to the latest Android version on their phone. However, you can download the app if it’s not available yet on your phone.
- Launch the Google play store app on your phone
- Type “Android Auto” in the search box
- Tap on the search button
- Wait for the app to show compatible else it’s not compatible with your OS
- Tap on the download & install button
- Download and install the app should take a few minutes just wait for it.
Now, the Android Auto app will be installed on your phone and you are ready to have a taste of the Google Maps, Media & Messaging on your car dashboard with the app.
Open Google Android Auto for the First time
The first step after downloading the Android auto app before you prepare and connect your phone to your app is to verify that the app is already working on your phone by opening it.
- Go to your phone menu and click on the Google auto app
- If there is any update available tap to update it for effectiveness and accuracy.
- Accept all permission to make the app work without difficulty on your phone.
- Enable your Bluetooth and find available Bluetooth. If your phone is paired with your car Bluetooth already just select it from the list otherwise enable your car Bluetooth and connect to it.
How to Connect Android Auto to your Car
Every precautional measure must be taken to make sure you are safe when you want to connect the Android auto app to your car. For this, we suggest that you make your car stationary (not moving) before you proceed.
- Unlock your phone if it’s locked with pattern or password or PIN
- Connect the phone with your Car using a (phone compatible) USB
- If your phone prompt you to download necessary updates just go ahead to download it. This update may include Google Maps update.
- Phone Bluetooth will be enabled automatically once you have connected your phone to your car using a USB.
- Enable notification for Android auto
- The start the Android auto
Once the Android auto is set up completely, you can ignite your car and zoom off. Enjoy the magic dashboard you long waited for.
How to Force Android Auto Update
Other than using the Android Auto update app, Google has started rolling out the feature to the new Android OS release and you are ready to link both the Android auto feature in your phone to your car (if confirmed compatible).
However, if the Google Android Auto isn’t available yet in your device you can force it to work.
The Android auto-update that fix the new feature from connecting and disconnecting from your car has probably been fixed with the new update and you have to manually run the app update to be able to have full access to the Android auto on your phone and to stop it from malfunctioning.
Your eligibility to use the app is based on your device OS and the car type that you are using
- Open the Google Android auto app on your phone
- Tap on the hamburger icon located at the left top
- Click on the settings
- Tap on try the new Android auto
- The update will be able on your phone and will be ready to work
Now, when next you connect your phone via USB with the phone Bluetooth already paired with your car you will see the Android auto notification popping up.
Android Auto APK Download
If you can lay your hand on the Android auto APK you will see that the functions are far similar to the beta or the new release. However, you cannot directly install the APK version on your phone because APK apps are not verified by Google protect. Therefore, to install the APK app you’d need to enable install from unknown sources.
To enable install from unknown source go to settings >> security >> unknown sources >> enable.
- Download and install Aptoide app
- Type “Android Auto” in the search box
- Tap on the app from the search result
- Click on the download button
- Go to file >> download in your phone
- Find Androidauto_apk and tap on it
- Click on the install button to the bottom right
- Follow the screen instruction to finish the installation
The total time taken to complete installing the Android auto APK on your phone should be less than a minute after which the app will be ready to use.
How long have you been using the Google Android Auto? What is your experience using it? Please share your insight via the comment section.