In case you want to connect your iPhone to your TV, there are a few ways to do so. Sometimes, we just need to view things on a much bigger screen. Whether you want to mirror your iPhone screen or use it as a remote, we have the perfect solution to that.
There are several options you can use to achieve this, which would be discussed below. Before we dive in, you might need a couple of things. This is determined by the option you choose to follow.
Connecting your iPhone to your TV is really simple, and it wouldn’t take much of your time. Just bear in mind that in addition to your iPhone and TV, you might need any of the following- a Wi-Fi connection, an HDMI cable, a Lightning Digital A/V adapter. Find out more about it below.
Table of Contents
How to connect your iPhone to your TV
Use Apple AirPlay
This is the easiest way to connect your iPhone to your TV because this feature is built-in your phone’s operating system. This allows you to mirror or cast content from your iPhone to your Apple TV.
To do this, make sure your iPhone and TV are connected to the same home Wi-Fi network then open the control center by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPhone screen. Select ‘airplay mirroring’ then select your Apple TV. Your Apple TV would them mirror whatever is on your iPhone screen.
This allows you to mirror specific parts of your screen. This means that you do not need to mirror your entire screen if you only plan to use airplay to play music or to view photos. However, the aspect ratio would most likely be different from that of your TV, but this depends on the aspect ratio of your ios device.
Use HDMI Cable
This is also one of the simplest ways to connect your iPhone to your TV. However, you will need an HDMI cable as well as an adapter to connect your phone. Apple sells these adapters, but you could get them cheaper on Amazon. To connect your iPhone to your TV using an HDMI cable, follow the steps below.
- Start off by connecting one end of the HDMI cable to your TV.
- Connect the other end to your adapter.
- Then, plug the adapter into the lightning end of your phone.
- Once you’re done connecting, turn on your TV and navigate to its HDMI input. You would then see your iPhone display on your TV, ready to share anything.
Use Screen Mirroring
Mirroring your screen allows whatever is showing on your iPhone screen appear on your TV screen. If you have an Apple TV, this process is really straight forward using the airplay procedure explained above. However, if you are using any other brand of smart TV, all hope is not lost, just follow the steps below.
- To begin with, you will need to download a screen mirroring application on your phone. A common example is the Nero Streaming Player, and it can be downloaded here. However, your Smart TV might have a specific mirroring application that works with it, so you need to do your research.
- The next step is to connect your iPhone and smart TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Select what you want to stream from your phone and enjoy it.
This is another effective method to use to connect your iPhone to your TV. Google Chromecast or Chrome cast ultra can be plugged into your TV’s HDMI port to enable you to share your screen. The simple, affordable they also support Ethernet connections. To use Chromecast, follow the steps below:
- Start off by plugging the Chromecast into the HDMI port of your television.
- Then, download and install a Chromecast supported application on your iPhone
- Open the application and tap the ‘cast button,’ select ‘Chromecast’ from the list of available devices to cast to the TV.
Note that some popular Smart TV brands now come with an inbuilt Chromecast. All you have to do in this case is look for the cast button. Also, while sharing your iPhone screen using Chromecast, the downloaded application can be used to turn the device into a remote control.
You can also cast your iPhone screen using a Roku streaming device. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- Ensure your iPhone and Roku are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Look for the cast button in a supported app like Youtube or Netflix.
- Select the ‘cast button’ and choose the Roku device from the list of available devices.
You can also use the ‘play on Roku’ feature if you have the Roku mobile app on your phone; if not, download it. Open the application, navigate to the ‘photos+’ option on the bottom of the Roku app then select the media you want to share.
Any of the above methods would help you to successfully connect your iPhone to your TV. Thus, you can choose to use anyone that is more convenient for you.