If you have a smart security camera in your home, it’s a great gadget to invest your money on that can help you keep tap with the security situations in your environs. In case you have the Wyze Cam Outdoor and it suddenly began to act up, then you might need to perform a simple power cycling. Here’s how to power cycle the Wyze camera. Read on!
Power cycle simply means the act of restarting the camera by disconnecting it and then connecting it back in. Most times, this simple action fixes minor issues and gets your camera back up and running again.
There are several reasons why you may need to power cycle your Wyze camera; some of such are Wyze cam error code 90 caused by communication issues, and service issues, which affect some features to stop working. Anytime you encounter any of these problems, the best way to fix them is to power cycle your device.
Issues that cause you to power cycle your Wyze camera are usually caused when your device can’t reach the streaming servers. A better way to fix the issue is to try power cycling your camera.
If you want to know why power-cycling your Wyze Cam is important, and how it works, then you need to read through this article to get all you need to know about how to power cycle the Wyze camera. It’s a very easy process that requires about 10 minutes.
What does it mean to Power Cycle?
Power Cycling can be generally defined as the act of completely turning off an electronic or gadget by usually disconnecting it from any power source. Power cycling is a useful troubleshooting tool that helps to reset the device and its connections.
This is how to power cycle the Wyze camera, you have to turn the camera off and then turn it back on again. It begins by first disconnecting the device from its power source and then turning it on again.
Once you power cycles your Wyze Cam, the following things may occur which include:
- Troubleshooting a particular issue with the device.
- Retrieving the Wyze Cam from a passive state.
- Rebooting the device’s set of configuration parameters.
- Restoring the network activity inside the camera.
Power cycling can help solve many troubleshooting issues.
Why do you need to Power Cycle Wyze Camera?
There are different reasons why you may need to power cycle your Wyze camera when it’s not responding to your commands. Such factors responsible include: the image quality may be poor, or the camera won’t just connect to your Wi-Fi network.
A simple power cycle can fix these issues with motion detection or alerts in some cases.
The common reasons why the Wyze Cam may not work have been outlined below:
- The camera may be unplugged, or not connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- The camera is appearing offline, but the live stream works.
- Settings won’t update.
- When the motion events are missing even when you have the accurate settings and the Wyze camera is connected.
- There may be an issue with the app.
- Check if the app is working once the camera is connected to the Wi-Fi.
- You can go ahead to power cycle the Wyze Cam if the app is not working.
Power cycling your Wyze camera should be the first thing to do anytime you encounter any of the aforementioned problems. It’s a process you can complete even when the Wyze Cam connection fails.
Things you need to Power Cycle Wyze Camera
Always ensure that the camera is plugged in and connected to the Wi-Fi. On how to power cycle the Wyze camera, check out the following requirements that are essential for you:
- Wyze camera.
- Unplugged power cord.
- Plugged in the power cord.
- Unlimited and reliable access to a Wi-Fi network.
Once you have all these necessities in place, then you are good to power cycle your Wyze Camera.
How to Power Cycle the Wyze Camera
If you are having issues with your Wyze Camera, one of the first things you should do is to power cycle the device. This process will help reset the camera and usually fixes any temporary software glitches that may be affecting the camera’s functionalities. Here’s how to power cycle the Wyze Camera:
- Behind your Wyze Camera Outdoor, you will see the power switch, flip it to the OFF position.
- Disconnect the camera from its power source (this can be done either on the camera side or the wall.
- Wait for about 5 to 10 seconds for the camera to completely discharge.
- Now, connect the camera back to the power source and allow it to reinitialize.
- Turn over the power switch back to the ON position.
Alternate Way to Power Cycle Wyze Camera
- Unplug the power adapter from the Wyze camera.
- Connect the power adapter back in and wait for a few seconds to allow the camera to boot up.
- Once the camera has successfully booted up, disconnect the power adapter again.
- Now, connect the power adapter back in and wait for the camera to boot up again for the second time.
- You can disconnect the power adapter once the camera has booted up, and continue to use the camera normally as if nothing happened.
Now, this is how to power cycle the Wyze camera. It involves a simple process that usually fixes any software issues associated with your camera. Therefore, if you are having issues with your camera, power cycling the device may be the solution you need to fix it.
How do I get my Wyze Camera back online?
If your Wyze Cam Outdoor won’t connect, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can follow to fix the problem:
- Restart your Wyze Base station by disconnecting it from its power source for about 30 seconds.
- Verify the status light on both the Wyze Cam Outdoor and the Base Station (You should see a solid blue light), but if they are flashing, then it means they are still trying to connect.
- Open the Wyze app and click on the paired Base Station.
- Inspect the signal strength, and try to move your Base Station closer if it has just one bar.
- Ensure you charge the Wyze Camera Outdoor for about 4 hours.
- Then, you can use the mobile app to check battery levels when required.
- While on the Wyze app, go to Account >> Firmware >> Upgrade, and click on Update.
- When you the right software, it ensures that the devices can communicate.
Now, your Wyze Camera should be back online if you followed the above steps carefully.
How to Restart Wyze Camera
There are a few ways to restart your Wyze Camera. Simply follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the camera from the power source, and wait for about 10 seconds, then connect it back in.
- Long-press on the power button behind the camera for 5 seconds till the LED light flashes blue.
- Download and install the Wyze app and choose “Device Settings” from the Menu.
- Click “Restart” next to your camera’s name, then verify by clicking “Yes.”
- In case your camera is frozen and you can’t access Device Settings, then you can go ahead to factory reset your camera from within the Wyze app.
Now, your Wyze camera has been restarted. You can proceed to the next section of this post to learn how you can factory reset Wyze Camera.
How do I Reset my Wyze Camera?
The best way to fix the connection issues with the camera is to reset the unit to factory settings. It might seem like a difficult task to embark on, but it always solves minor connection bugs issue perfectly.
Just follow through with the reset procedure below and try to connect the Wyze camera with your base station again. However, some users said that updating the firmware also fixes the issue. Follow the steps below:
- Go to Menu >> Account >> My Cameras.
- Now, choose the particular camera you want to factory reset, click on the gear icon at the top right corner and choose “Factory Reset.”
However, since the unit is battery operated, any potential thief can steal your camera and connect it to another base station. Many users may not be able to factory reset the Wyze Cam Outdoor since it’s a security feature.
With these aforementioned troubleshooting tips at your disposal, I am sure you know how to power cycle the Wyze Camera and also fix other connectivity issues that you may encounter in the process. Feel free to drop a comment in the section below.