Nintendo Switch has a very interesting and complex set of controllers known as JoyCon controllers. However, you have to charge these controllers before they can be used. In case you are new to the Nintendo console, you might be wondering how long do joycons take to charge.
You may even want to know how to charge JoyCons if you just got a new Nintendo Switch, as these little mini-controllers are essential to many of the console’s different forms. Once you detach the JoyCons their batteries will start draining. You will have to charge them regularly if this is how you like them to play, but how exactly do you do that?
You need to know how to charge Nintendo Switch JoyCons and also how long do JoyCons take to charge. Read on as we walk you through these easy steps below.
How to charge JoyCons for Nintendo Switch
The primary way of charging the Nintendo Switch JoyCons is by simply attaching them to the console while it’s charging by sliding them down from the top until they click into place on either side of the device screen.
This can be done via the handheld mode but attached to the AC adapter or while it is in the dock. That’s all you need to do to charge the JoyCons, although it is possible to charge them using another method.
In case you don’t want to attach them to the console itself, you can buy a JoyCon charging grip which is sold separately. While it looks similar to the standard JoyCon grip that comes with a new Nintendo Switch purchase, the charging grip means you can use the two JoyCons like a standard controller and charge them both simultaneously. Now, you should know how long do JoyCons take to charge.
How to charge JoyCons while Playing
Want to keep playing on your Nintendo Switch while your JoyCons charge? Then, here are a few ways to do that below:
- Take a Nintendo Switch AC adapter and connect it to a wall so that the cord still reaches where you will be playing, and connect the USB-C end to the port on the bottom of the console.
- Attach the JoyCon controllers and get gaming!
As long as the Switch is charging, the JoyCon controllers are also charging and you can determine how long do JoyCons take to charge.
How to charge JoyCons using a Charging Case
The S-Charge is a Nintendo Switch charging case that comes with a backup battery similar to that of portable USB chargers. It can be used to charge the Switch and its attached Joy-Con controllers on the go.
- With the S-Charge itself charged (it can plug into the Switch dock like a Pro Controller can), tap the power button located on the left side.
- Lift the flap on the top and attach the Switch with JoyCon controllers, then close the flap.
- Your controllers should be charging by now!
- On the Switch’s Home menu, click on the JoyCon symbol to go to the controller page, and this should indicate that it’s connected to a power source.
- The S-Charge has a battery with more than double the capacity of the Switch itself, therefore you can continue charging your JoyCon controllers this way for hours without having to worry about the case running out of battery.
- When you are not using the S-Charge, ensure that you turn it off by holding down the power button for a few seconds. If you don’t do this, it could be dead by the next time you need it.
This is how to charge JoyCons using the charging case. After this, you should be able to determine how long do JoyCons take to charge.
Why are my Joy-Cons not charging when docked?
If the JoyCons won’t charge, several factors may be responsible. You can try following the troubleshooting steps below:
Ensure that the console is turned on or in Sleep Mode
For the Joy-Con to charge while attached to the Nintendo Switch console, the console must be connected to the AC adapter and powered on or in Sleep Mode.
Does putting a switch in the dock charge it?
The Nintendo Switch console can be left in the dock while not in use to ensure that it is completely charged. If you put the console in the dock or plug in the AC Adapter directly to charge before the battery is spent, it will only count as a partial charging cycle.
How do I fix my left JoyCon not Charging?
If your left side JoyCon would not charge for one reason or the other, you can fix it by following the steps:
- Go to System Settings >> Controllers and Sensors >> Disconnect Controllers.
- Hold the “X” button until you get a confirmation that both controllers have been disconnected.
- Then fully turn off your Nintendo Switch, turn it back on, and reconnect your JoyCons.
This must have fixed the problem!
How does the JoyCon charging dock work?
The easiest solution for charging your Nintendo Switch JoyCon Controller is using the JoyCon Charging Dock. You can charge 4 JoyCon Controllers at once for multiple players, or reserve an extra pair charged for single players to switch out.
Simply slide the JoyCon Controllers down and wait until each charge LED turns green.
How long do JoyCons take to Charge?
It takes approximately 3 ½ hours to fully charge the Joy-Con controllers. When fully charged, the battery for the Joy-Con controllers can last approximately 20 hours.
Can you Overcharge Joy-Cons?
Nintendos actually can’t overcharge. Although some people think you can leave your Switch plugged in too long, That would stop it from being a home console. Even when you are using it as a portable, it stops using the battery when it is charged to 100% and uses the power supply to run the system.
Do you know you can connect JoyCons to iPad? Check out the steps here.
Can you use the Switch dock without power?
It’s quite easy to use a Nintendo Switch without its dock. To do this, you need an adapter as your Switch that connects to its dock via a USB-C port. You will also need an extra plug and a USB to USB or USB to Micro USB cable to use with it, as the adapter needs to be powered.
Can you connect Nintendo Switch to the TV without an AC adapter?
You will need a USB-C to HDMI adapter before you can connect your Nintendo Switch to a TV without the dock. It has three inputs, just like the back of the Switch’s dock, and a single USB-C output.
How can I increase my JoyCons battery life?
To get longer battery life on your Nintendo Switch, you can take note of these precautions:
- Lower Your Screen’s Brightness.
- Disable JoyCon Vibrations.
- Buy a Portable Charger.
- Enable Flight Mode.
- Set Up Sleep Mode.
Once you are able to abide by these instructiuons, you will be on your way to protecting your JoyCons and making them last longer.
How to maximize the JoyCons battery life
To improve the Nintendo switch battery life, follow the steps below:
- Change the Display Brightness.
- You can enable Airplane Mode.
- Disable HD Rumble on your JoyCons.
- Keep the JoyCons disconnected from the Switch body when it’s not in use.
- Change the Sleep Mode settings.
- Change your Theme.
- Reduce the volume of the speaker.
- Stop the Switch from charging once it becomes fully charged.
We hope you found this article useful. You can also share your thoughts using the comments section below. Now, you know how long do JoyCons take to charge.