If you are stuck with how to change the WiFi network on your Chromecast, this article is recommended. Since your Chromecast only work with the Network, then it must be connected to either your WiFi or Hotspot.
Even though Chromecast is one of the best streaming devices, it has its downside, which is the inability to save or remember more than one WiFi or Hotspot password at a time.
However, to add and save a new WiFi network on your Chromecast, you would need to delete the stored or remembered password on it and then add the new WiFi.
Meanwhile, the only way to change the WiFi network on your Chromecast once it has remembered one is to reset the device.
So, in this article, we will quickly discuss how to change your WiFi network on your Chromecast device.
How to Change the WiFi Network on your Chromecast
To change the Network on your Chromecast, you can use the Google Home app and navigate to the option to forget this Network, after which you would then need to add a new WiFi network to the device.
Note: The process to be discussed here won’t reset your Chromecast to the default settings.
To do this, kindly follow the steps below.
- Connect your Smartphone [Android & iPhone] to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast.
- Plug your Chromecast into your TV and turn on your TV. Once the Chromecast is connected to your TV and turned, the power indicator will turn on to confirm it.
- Launch the Google Home app on your phone.
- Select your Chromecast from the detected devices. If you have more than one Chromecast device connected to your Google Home, ensure that you select the Chromecast whose Network you want to change.
- Click on the “Settings” icon to the top right of the Chromecast page on Google Home.
- Choose “WiFi” since we want to forget the WiFi name and change it to another WiFi.
- Tap “Forget this Password” in the “WiFi Settings” menu.
The selected WiFi will be removed, forgotten and create a space for another WiFi to be remembered for your Chromecast.
How to Reset your Chromecast and Change WiFi Network
This isn’t the best option to choose when you want to change your WiFi Network on your Chromecast because it reset your Chromecast to the default settings and deleted all personal configurations on the device.
- Connect the Chromecast device to your TV [and turn it on]
- Wait until the Chromecast is turned on.
- Press and hold the Reset button before the USB port. For the Chromecast first-generation, you can find the reset button at the back of the device.
- Release the button once the orange light turns to white. For the Chromecast first-generation, release the button once the streaming light stops blinking.
- Unplug the Chromecast power cable and hang on for about 5 minutes.
- Plug the power cable into the Chromecast device. Once the cable is connected, you will discover that the device will reset and restore to the factory settings without any WiFi network name.
After the process above, you will need to set up your Chromecast device as if it’s newly bought. Therefore, we will walk you through how to set up your Chromecast device after the reset option above.
How to Setup Chromecast
If you already know how you can set up your new Chromecast, kindly skip this section. Otherwise, follow the steps below to set up and add a new WiFi network to your Chromecast.
- Connect the Chromecast to your TV and switch on the devices.
- Open the “Google Home” app on your phone. If you don’t have the app installed on your phone, follow this link to download it for your Android and this iPhone.
- Select “Setup” under “Add to Home.”
- Choose “Setup new devices.”
- Create your “Home” and click on the “Next” tab.
- The Google Home app will search for all available devices and display them.
- Select the name of your Chromecast from the list and wait for it to connect.
- Tap “Yes” from the pop-up screen to confirm the confirmation code on your TV screen.
- Follow the user guide or tutorial on the screen until you get to “Connect to WiFi.”
- Turn on your WiFi and click on “Connect to WiFi” on your TV screen to search and list all available WiFi networks.
- Select the name of the WiFi you want to connect to and select it. If the WiFi is encrypted, you will be asked to provide the WiFi password to connect to it.
- Once you enter the WiFi password, you should see “Linking your Chromecast.”
Once you are done with the step above, your Chromecast will be connected to the selected Network and ready to stream online. However, the WiFi network will be remembered. And if you want to change it, you would need to follow the steps in this article on how to change the WiFi network on your Chromecast.