We all know the importance of remote control to our smart devices. The use of remote replaces the traditional methods of controlling our devices using the button on the device. However, the Roku remote is more than just a remote to control the device. It’s the masterpiece needed to connect your Roku to your WiFi. Without your remote control, it could mean that you will not be able to your Roku to WiFi. While this is a sad story, you can always have your way around on how to connect Roku to WiFi without remote with the help of an Android phone.
If you cannot find your Roku remote to help you connect to your WiFi or router you’d need to have a smartphone to do the work of a remote for you. Therefore, in this guide, we will walk you through how you can use your Android phone as a remote to connect your Roku to your WiFi or router.
There are two methods that we will share with you here. The first approach makes use of a mobile app on your phone and it must be within the location where you last connected your Roku to WiFi. And the second approach makes use of the mobile hotspot to connect your Roku to your WiFi without using a remote.
Table of Contents
How to Connect Roku to WiFi without Remote
To this end, you will need to download an app that will allow you to re-connect your Roku to a WiFi in a location where you have used the Roku before.
- Download and install the Roku app for your device [Android and iOS].
- Navigate to your app menu and open the Roku app.
- Tape on the “Remote” located at the bottom of the app.
- Click on the “Connect” button to search and connect to your Roku.
- You will be able to connect your Roku to your WiFi without remote if your Roku and the Smartphone are both connected to the same WiFi or router.
You should see your Roku connected to the WiFi network within a few seconds if there is no network connection error.
How to Connect Roku to WiFi using Mobile Hotspot
This simple walkaround has helped a lot of Roku users to connect their Roku to their WiFi when the do not have access to their remote. Suppose you have your Roku remote you can easily rename and change your WiFi name and password to watch movies on your Roku. However, the only way out here that we have tested and confirmed is to change the name of your mobile Hotspot to the name of the WiFi that you connected your Roku to the last time and change the password to the same password you are using on your WiFi.
- Swipe down the notification tray on your Android.
- Press and hold the “Hotspot” icon until you are taken to “Portable Wi-Fi hotspot”.
- Click on “Configure hotspot”.
- Click on “Hotspot name”.
- Type the name of the WiFi you previously connected your Roku to and click “Save”.
- Click on “Password” and erase the current password.
- Enter the password of the WiFi you connected your Roku to before and click on the “Save” button.
- Now, use the Roku app on your phone to connect your Roku to the mobile hotspot to start streaming.
Whether you are a techie person or not, this should help you resolve the inability to connect Roku to WiFi without remote pending the time that you will have access to your remote and be able to connect to an available WiFi.