Technology has so advanced in such a way that there is no limitation to what we can watch or stream online. However, this luxury becomes frustrating especially when the platform for enjoyment does not work correctly or suddenly stops working. This article will help you fix ESPN App not working on several smart devices like iPhones, Smart TVs, Android, etc.
In other words, when the ESPN app stops working in the middle of game night, it can be very annoying. ESPN offers great content from watching live games, getting scores, and also enjoying commentary on your favorite team without any interruption daily.
However, when the ESPN app suddenly stops working on your iPhone or other smart devices, several things could cause it such as; insufficient bandwidth, too many devices streaming on the same network, and so on. You can download content from other service providers to free up the bandwidth required for ESPN live streaming.
The ESPN app is free and provides ESPN content to users who own a computer, an internet connection, and a zip code in the appropriate service area. ESPN+ (ESPN Plus), on the other hand, is an extension of the ESPN app since it provides premium content that is not available to other users.
With that said, in case ESPN+ stops working on your streaming device, there are several ways you can fix your connection to the service. Ensure you are connected to a fast and reliable internet connection and restart the ESPN app. You can as well check if the service is offline, restart the device, and clear all the ESPN app cache.
Read on if you are having issues with the ESPN App not working, there are several fixes for Android, iOS devices, and other smart devices below.
What is ESPN App?
ESPN is owned by ESPN Inc (jointly owned by The Walt Disney Company and Hearst Communications), which is an American multinational basic cable sports channel. ESPN was founded in 1979 by Bill Rasmussen with the help of his son, Scott Rasmussen and Ed Egan.
ESPN means Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. The ESPN App is used to get Scores from Football, Cricket, MLB, Formula One, NBA, NFL, Tennis, Golf, and more sports available in real-time. After choosing your favorite leagues and teams, you will be able to locate stories and videos from your favorite clubs and leagues in your favorite feed.
ESPN app allows you to get real-time score updates and breaking news for your favorite teams sent directly to your smartphone.
You can follow up with ESPN network live events and series, in addition to getting ratings, on-demand coverage, highlights, and even expert analysis. You can subscribe to the live-sports ESPN+ streaming service, exclusive originals, bonus posts, fantasy apps, and many more.
ESPN Plus Login
You can stream ESPN plus on three devices all at once for most content, and the option to pay more to get more screens is not available. However, if you are paying-per-view events, it’s only possible to stream on two devices.
To complete the ESPN+ setup, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Login to ESPN+ from the Disney confirmation screen or simply go to plus.espn.com/activate.
- Sign in using the same email address and password you used for Disney+.
- In case you already have an existing ESPN+ account linked with your email, input your password and log in.
- That’s it!
You can check your subscription details available via the user icon on ESPN.com after logging in or in your account settings in the applicable app store.
ESPN App not working on iPhone
Are you trying to connect the ESPN app on your iPhone but it just won’t work? Well, the solution is not far-fetched as you will be able to fix the ESPN app not working on iPhone in a jiffy.
You might notice that every other website is running, and sometime your phone might not just support other sites. Note that the number of bars shown on the phone does not correlate with the 3G/4G/LTE connexion’s strength and reliability.
Here are some of the ways to fix the ESPN app not working on iPhone:
It’s possible the app is not working properly because of poor network or connectivity. Try the following:
- Check the operating system of the ESPN app, since this issue can be caused as a result of a system upgrade.
- Do a confirmation with your Internet service provider to verify if you have a fast connection or not.
- Test all sorts of network cables available. If this damage is discovered anywhere, you can replace it and have a new one installed.
Update the Device
Ensure your ESPN app and iPhone has been updated to the latest version, this may also solve these kinds of issue. You can as well try this too:
- Go to the Settings >> About option.
- Tap on Check for updates and begin installing updates.
- Note that installation process time varies based on the network speed.
- Once the installation process is over, it begins establishing an internet connection.
- Once this has been completed, now you can use the updated version.
Force Close ESPN App
If the ESPN app keeps crashing and won’t work properly, you can also Force Close the application in this situation, and it will restart normal operation after a few minutes.
Give Network Access Permission
Most iOS devices come with special network permissions which grant users the permission for which exact applications can access the internet. It’s possible to have limited internet access even without knowing it. Follow the steps below to give the network permissions on iPhone and iPad:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and go to the ESPN+ app.
- Ensure the mobile data and background app refresh option are enabled.
Check the Device date and time Settings
ESPN+ is a service that offers both sports documentation, recorded matches, and live matches. To ensure all the content is streamed perfectly, your device’s date and time settings must be very accurate. Here is how you can check device date and time settings:
- First, open the Settings app on your iPhone and go to General.
- Then go to the Date and Time option.
- Double-check your Time zone and verify the set automatically button.
- This will fix the date and time settings, and hopefully, ESPN Plus app will begin working on your iPhone again.
Update Device OS
This is the last but not the least troubleshooting method for this issue. In case the problem of the ESPN app not working on iPhone has not been solved, then you might have to update your device OS because the ESPN app is designed to serve its services to the most recent version of iOS devices.
Are you using an older version, like iOS 10 or 11, then the ESPN app might not work. Therefore:
- Go to Settings >> General >> Software update to install the latest iOS 15 update on your iPhone.
ESPN App not working on Android
Android requirement for ESPN App is 5.0 and above. If you want to enjoy watching ESPN live on your Android smartphone or tablet, get WatchESPN; it is free to download and use.
Most times, you get the ESPN app not working message when trying to start the app. This is usually caused by several factors including corrupted app data, outdated apps, or even when there’s not enough phone memory. To fix this you need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps. Below is the most common solution that can help you open the ESPN App.
- The ESPN app not working on Android maybe because it’s in maintenance mode, wait for a few minutes.
- The server may be down, you might need to wait for some time.
- Check your Internet Connection.
In case the above solutions did not work for you, try more fixes below to open the ESPN App.
- Restart the Android device.
- Ensure your phone is running on the most recent software version.
- Also, ensure the ESPN app is updated to the latest version.
Clear the cache and data of the ESPN app
Corrupted temporary data stored by the app can cause the ESPN app not working issue. To fix this you might need to clear the cache and data of the app. Note that the exact steps might differ depending on your specific device model. The time required for this process is 3 minutes.
- Click on Settings: Do this by swiping up from the Home screen and then clicking on the Settings icon.
- Click on Apps & Notifications: You can manage your app settings from here.
- Click on See all apps: You will see a list of all available apps installed on your smartphone.
- Click on ESPN: This will direct you to the app permission notification and storage info.
- Click on Storage & Cache: This will open the app storage and permission Settings.
- Now, click on Clear Storage and Clear Cache and ensure you confirm your action: This will remove all the temporary data stored by the app.
After all these steps have been carried out, the app will reset to its original state.
Reinstall the ESPN app to fix the app not working
The issue might be caused by a corrupted game installation. If this is the case, all you need do is simply uninstall the app and then download and install a new version from the Google Play Store.
One of the steps listed above should successfully fix the ESPN app not working on the Android problem.
ESPN App not working on Smart TV
The most common cause of the ESPN app not working are outage, faulty or very slow internet connection, or hostile data and cache.
If you have a smart TV and ESPN is not streaming on it, then you might need to update the app. Follow the steps below to fix the ESPN app not working on smart TV:
Update the ESPN App
- Tap on the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
- Go to ‘Featured’ >> ‘ESPN’ >> Long-press on the ‘Enter’ button.
- Now go to ‘Update Apps’ >> ‘All’ >> ‘Update’, and retry the app.
Power Cycle Your Smart TV
Power cycling your smart TV can help fix the problem of ESPN Plus not working. To do this, follow the steps below:
- First, disconnect the power plug of your smart TV and press the power button on your smart TV for about 10 seconds.
- Remove your router and wait for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Connect your router and start it again.
- Once the router has been fully booted, connect your smart TV and start it.
- Launch ESPN Plus on your smart TV and check if it is working properly now.
ESPN will fix all the problems that are not working on your smart TV this way. If the issue persists, use the other fix below.
Reinstall ESPN App on Smart TV
If your ESPN Plus does not work on your smart TV, then reinstalling the application on your smart TV may fix this problem. Follow the steps below to reinstall ESPN Plus on Samsung TV:
- Switch on the smart TV in your home, and locate the app.
- Click on the gear-like icon (Settings) located on the right side of your TV.
- Select the ESPN app in the list of apps and delete it.
- Once the ESPN Plus app has been deleted, restart your Smart TV.
- You can now install the ESPN Plus app again on your Smart TV.
This should solve the issue and in case it didn’t, check out the next fix.
Reset TV Smart Hub Settings
Resetting TV Smart Hub settings on your TV can help fix the ESPN Plus non-functioning problem. You have to take the following steps to reset Smart Hub on your smart TV:
- Navigate to the first Setting.
- Select the Support option from the options.
- Now, go to Self-diagnosis.
- Select Reset the Smart Hub.
- Reset Smart TV (Whether Samsung, Apple, or Sony TV).
- Verify if you can use ESPN Plus on your brand of Smart TV.
ESPN App not working on Apple TV
The ESPN+ always has something for you from live sporting events, and on-demand content, to original programming, that can’t be found on any other ESPN network.
It is available in the ESPN apps for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. Why the ESPN app won’t work on Apple TV might be because the ESPN server is down or the app might be under maintenance. Apart from this, other common issues can interrupt your service. Try out the following troubleshooting tips below:
Check for ESPN Outage
ESPN Plus has over 21 million subscribers, and the video streaming needs such a large number of users which is quite a difficult task. Due to server maintenance, the series of ESPN Plus might get interrupted or temporarily disabled. You can as well visit Downdetector to see if ESPN plus is down or not.
In case the ESPN servers are functional and you are still facing the ESPN app not working issues, then the issue is most likely to be due to some technical malfunctions. In such cases, you may need to restart your streaming device to ensure the app is running efficiently. You can as well restart your Wifi router too.
Do not Enable VPN or Proxy services
Some users maximize proxy servers to stream the ESPN services in the past, which places an extra load on ESPN streaming services. In case you are also using a third-party VPN service, you might need to shut it down and see if the problem has been solved.
Re-login to ESPN Plus Account
Did you recently change the account password of your ESPN account? Then it’s possible that the changes have not been reflected on your account.
- Open the app and sign out from your account.
- After logging out, re-login with your new details.
Check the ESPN Plus Subscription
You might need to check your ESPN plus subscription if it has not expired because once you miss any payment cycle, your services will be stopped and you will no longer have full access to the videos as such.
The ESPN Plus is a premium on-demand service with a monthly payment cycle. Therefore, go to your account and check your subscription plan and be sure it’s still active.
Why is my ESPN App not working on Roku?
ESPN app may not work on your Roku due to some issues that your device may have or it could be an internet connection problem. In the meantime, you can try the fixes mentioned below:
Reinstall ESPN App on Roku
- Navigate to the Home Screen of your Roku TV.
- Select the ESPN Plus app.
- Tap on the * button on your Roku remote.
- Select the removed channel.
- Restart Roku TV.
- Search for the latest version of ESPN Plus on your Roku and install it.
- After reinstalling ESPN Plus on your Roku, then you must have solved the problem of ESPN Plus not working.
Why is ESPN not working today?
If the ESPN app is not working, ensure both the TV and your streaming device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Place your device on aeroplane mode for a few seconds to force the reconnect to your home’s Wi-Fi network.
It is easier for phones and tablets to connect to other Wi-Fi networks, especially if you have various networks saved. In case the issue is not network-related, then it could be related to the ESPN app itself or your streaming device. Follow the steps below
ESPN Server Down, exercise some patience
If the problem is from ESPN itself, the company server may be down, no content will be coming through. The only solution to this issue is patience. Keep taps on the ESPN app to know when it’s back online and functional.
ESPN App Updated
The older version of the app won’t work if there has been an update to the ESPN app. You will need to uninstall the app and then reinstall it to get the most recent version of the ESPN app. You can as well restart your device once the updated version has been installed.
Check for Device Compatibility
Updates are very essential not only when it comes to the security of our devices but also the functionality. However, these updates require adequate memory space. If your device is an older version, it may not have the memory capacity needed to support the ESPN app.
If after reading through this article and none of these solutions worked for you, then you can make contact with the ESPN team. The ESPN Customer Care Number is 00 1 888-549-3776. However, if any of the fixes above worked for you, kindly drop your comment in the section below. Thanks for reading thus far.