Technology has so advanced in such a way that there is no limitation to what we can watch or stream online. However, this luxury becomes frustrating especially when the platform for enjoyment does not work correctly or suddenly stops working without previous knowledge. ESPN is not different as it could also malfunction at any time However, in this article, we will discuss the ESPN app not working on iPhone, Android, Fire TV, Samsung TV and even Firestick.
When the ESPN app is not working you will not be able to stream your favourite movie or TV show on the app. While this might not affect ESPN web, but the app.
However, when the ESPN app suddenly stops working on your iPhone or Fire TV or Samsung TV or your smart TV or device, there is a log to think about that could be the possible reason why the app isn’t working.
Why is my ESPN App not working
There is no particular answer to this but based on guessing and assumption the following reasons could be why your ESPN app is not working.
- Insufficient bandwidth
- Too many devices streaming on the same network.
- Poor network coverage
- The ESPN app is outdated.
- Your ESPN login expires.
- The ESPN server is down.
- The ESPN app is undergoing maintenance.
The reason why your ESPN app is not working isn’t limited to the points above but they can contribute to the app malfunctioning.
Journey with us in this article as we take you by hand on why is the ESPN app not working and troubleshooting tips you can use to fix the ESPN app.
ESPN App not Working on iPhone
The reason why your ESPN app is not working on your iPhone could be one of the following reasons internal and external errors but it’s not limited to these.
- A faulty internet connection
- Unresponsive ESPN server
- The ESPN app’s version is outdated.
- Your iPhone is malfunctioning.
- Your iPhone OS is outdated.
And now that we know some of the reasons why the ESPN app isn’t working on your iPhone below are some of the troubleshooting tips to take to restore the ESPN app back to normal and make it work again.
Restart your iPhone
The first measure to take when the ESPN app not working on iPhone is to restart the iPhone to clear some of the glitches contributing to the iPhone not working. While the process to restart iPhone differs and based on models, be surreal to restart the iPhone and launch the ESPN app after whether it will work.
Check your Internet Connection
There is no rain without the cloud. This means that, to use the ESPN app on your Android you need to connect to the internet access. However, you need to check your internet connection to be surreal that it is working perfectly.
It’s possible the app is not working properly because of poor network or connectivity. Try the following:
- Go to your iPhone Settings.
- Tap on “Wi-Fi” if you are using WiFi to access all available networks.
- Click the tab to display all the available internet connections.
- Connect to the available network.
If you are using your mobile data be surreal that you have enough data bundle to connect to the internet. However, if your WiFi network is unstable it can cause the ESPN app not to work on your iPhone. To fix this, you simply need to restart your router.
Update your iPhone OS
Your iPhone OS could be contributing to why the ESPN app is not working on the device. If you are running an outdated OS it may not work with the new app version. Therefore, it’s advisable to whether there is an OS update waiting for you to download and install.
- Launch your iPhone Settings App.
- Click on “General.”
- Tap the “Software Update” option.
- Wait for your iPhone to check for the latest iOS update.
- If there is an update available kindly click on the download button.
- Tap “Install” once the download is completed.
Before you proceed to install the latest iOS update be surreal to charge your iPhone to at least 50% or connect the iPhone to a power source so that it will not end up at iPhone stuck on the Apple logo screen.
Force Close ESPN App
If the ESPN app keeps crashing and won’t work properly, you can also Force Close the application in this situation, and it will restart normal operation after a few minutes.
Give Network Access Permission
Most iOS devices come with special network permissions which grant users the permission for which exact applications can access the internet. It’s possible that you have limited internet access even without knowing it.
You can check through the process below to see if your iPhone background data is disabled.
- Go to your iPhone Settings.
- Scroll down to your list of apps and click on the “ESPN +” app logo.
- Toggle on “Background app refresh.”
Launch the ESPN app to see whether it’ll fix it. If the ESPN app not working is because the background data is disabled, it should start working henceforth.
Check the Device Date and Time Settings
If your iPhone device date and time are not correct the ESPN Plus app can malfunction. Therefore, you want to check through the steps below to find out whether your data and time are correct.
- Go to your “iPhone” settings app.
- Tap “General”
- Scroll down and click on “Date & Time.”
- Turn on “Set Automatically.”
Once the data and time are set to automatically update your time zone will also update itself.
Clear ESPN App Cache
Clearing the ESPN app cache is also a good way to move when it comes to the ESPN app not working on iPhone. So, we will consider how to clear the ESPN app cache on your below.
- Open your iPhone Settings.
- Scroll down and click on the Safari browser.
- Scroll down and tap “Clear History and Website Data.”
- Click on “Clear History and Data” from the popup.
Reinstall the ESPN App
If clearing the ESPN app cache didn’t fix the ESPN not working on your iPhone you should consider deleting the app and reinstalling it.
- Uninstall the ESPN app from your iPhone or Android
- Go to your iOS store [Apple store] or Android store [Play Store]
- Search for the ESPN app.
- Click on “Install” to download and install the ESPN app.
ESPN App not Working on Fire TV
If the ESPN app is not working on your smart TV such as Fire TV or Samsung TV then you need to check out the following troubleshooting tips to fix the ESPN app not working on Smart TV that supports the ESPN app.
Power Cycle Your Smart TV
Power cycle is different from shutdown on smart TV. So, if you have been shutting down your TV all this while without completing the cycle, it can make the TV malfunction. Therefore, by following the steps below you will learn how to power cycle your smart TV to fix ESPN not working on Smart TV.
- Press the “Power” button on your smart TV remote to turn off the TV.
- Remove the TV cable from the power source.
- Wait for about “30 seconds” and then plug the TV.
- Press the power button to turn on the TV.
If the TV glitch is caused because it has not been completely shut down for a while the steps above will fix it.
Update the ESPN App
Since the process to update apps on smart TVs differs based on the manufacturing configurations. Therefore, you should consider using the laydown process to update apps on your TV manufacturing.
To learn how to update apps on your smart TV kindly check out the resources page below.
- Tap on the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
- Go to ‘Featured’ >> ‘ESPN’ >> Long-press on the ‘Enter’ button.
- Now go to ‘Update Apps’ >> ‘All’ >> ‘Update’, and retry the app.
Remove and Reinstall the ESPN App on Samsung TV
Another tip to use to fix the ESPN app on your smart TV is to uninstall the ESPN app and reinstall it again. Meanwhile, you need to restart the smart TV before reinstalling the app.
- Switch on the smart TV in your home, and locate the app.
- Click on the gear-like icon (Settings) located on the right side of your TV.
- Select the ESPN app in the list of apps and delete it.
- Once the ESPN Plus app has been deleted, restart your Smart TV.
- You can now install the ESPN Plus app again on your Smart TV.
This should solve the issue and in case it didn’t, check out the next fix.
Reset TV Smart Hub Settings
Resetting TV Smart Hub settings on your TV can help fix the ESPN Plus non-functioning problem. You have to take the following steps to reset Smart Hub on your smart TV:
- Navigate to the first Setting.
- Select the Support option from the options.
- Now, go to Self-diagnosis.
- Select Reset the Smart Hub.
- Reset Smart TV (Whether Samsung, Apple, or Sony TV).
- Verify if you can use ESPN Plus on your brand of Smart TV.
Kindly follow the links below to learn how to update apps on your choice of smart TV.
- Samsung TV: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/how-do-i-manage-apps-on-my-smart-tv/
- Fire TV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GTW7A7AUYMKWNVYA