When fixing most computer issues, turning off a gadget is one of the first basic steps to take, and Windows 11 is not excepted. However, what if you are unable to shut down your Windows 11? Well, this article will walk you through how to fix Windows 11 won’t shut down issue.
A lot could lead to your Windows 11 not shutting down ranging from overloading or blocked ventilation or hanging or outdated software and many other reasons. Whatever the reason why your Windows 11 won’t shut down this article will come to your rescue and reveal all the steps to take to make your Windows 11 shut down without losing any of your opened files.
Why is my Windows 11 not Shutting Down?
There are several reasons why your Windows 11 computer is not shutting down even after trying all you know. Some of the causes are as follows:
- Issues related to software.
- The PC’s operating system may be experiencing a bug, or a program is interfering with its proper operation.
- You may be having a broken or damaged power button.
- Corrupted system files
- Fast Startup is enabled.
- Windows 11 update error
- BIOS issues
- Another possibility is that a particular setting is disabled, giving the impression that you can’t shut down even when pressing the power button, even when there’s nothing wrong with Windows or the power button.
Therefore, how do you resolve “Windows was not properly shut down” and restore regular operation to Windows 11?
Use the outlined guidelines in the following section as a guide.
How does the Power Button on your Computer Work?
We will go over a few of the ways to shut down Windows 11 below. But before you begin, it’s crucial to understand how your computer’s power button functions.
What occurs after pressing the power button just once is controlled by a Windows configuration.
If the button is configured to do nothing when pressed just once, your computer won’t switch off when you try to shut it off.
This option exists to stop unintentional shutdowns. You know, when you accidentally touch the power while reaching across the desk for something, triggering the shutdown process.
No amount of pleading will stop the procedure, as you are probably aware. Microsoft included a feature to let users alter the power button’s functionality since it happened frequently enough.
To check, follow the steps below:
- Open Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound >> Power Options to perform a verification.
- Change the action of the power button to Shut down, then select Save Changes.
The power button will now cause Windows 11 to shut down normally.
How to fix Windows 11 won’t Shut Down
And here we will discuss all methods that we know that can help your troubleshooting your Windows 11 not shutting down in no time.
Hold Down the Power Button until the Computer Turns off
Even if Windows 11 can’t be shut down using the mouse or keyboard due to a software bug, most PCs will work if you press and hold the power button for a few seconds. Irrespective of the power button setting in the Control Panel, this works.
Although, this is not the typical approach to switching off a computer because it deprives Windows of the information it needs to shut down securely. Make sure you save all of your work and close any open programs if you can.
Enter Ctrl+Alt+Del, and select the power icon >> Shut down.
Ctrl+Alt+Del might still function even when Windows 11’s Start menu isn’t responding and, as a result, isn’t opening.
Use the Command line like Command Prompt
This method of turning off your computer will still function even if your mouse, desktop, and power button are all damaged. The shutdown command is still used to shut down Windows 11. Simply type this: shutdown /s
If you regularly press the power button to shut down, try the standard method instead. Any method of shutting down Windows 11 will disable the device if the power button is the cause of the issue.
Force Windows 11 to Shut Down
You can force your computer to shut down to directly address the Windows 10 not shutting down issue, follow the steps below to do this:
- Press and hold the power button to force turn off the computer. It might take a few seconds though.
- For 5 to 10 minutes, unplug all power lines (battery, power cord wires).
- Now, restart your computer after plugging in all the power wires again.
Run a Windows update to check for OS updates
If you are using an outdated OS your PC can misbehave, like if there is an update available to fix some bugs but you failed to upgrade your Windows 11 PC to the version, it can start malfunctioning like not shutting down when instructed.
Run the Troubleshooter
To run the troubleshooter, follow the simple steps below:
- The first thing you need to do is to right-click on the Windows icon and click on “Search”, and type troubleshoot in the Search box.
- Select “Troubleshoot” in the result.
- Tap on “Windows Update” under the “Get up and running” section.
- Click on “Run the troubleshooter”.
Run System Restore
To restore the PC to a prior state, most likely one where it was allowing you to shut it down normally, you need to run System Restore.
Is it Safe to Force Shut Down my Computer?
Yes, turning off your computer with the power button is secure. Modern electronics can be rapidly turned on and off with a button, unlike older computers where a forced shutdown could harm the hardware.
This is all about how you can fix Windows 11 won’t shut down and how to troubleshoot it.