When you invert a photo, it refers to reversing the colour of that photo to appear negative. Inverting a pic to negative would be displayed in black-and-white. Here the light areas of the image would appear dark and the dark areas would appear light.
The concept of inverting pictures and videos is common in the movie industry when creating horror and suspense films. Applying an inverted effect on pictures helps to add some artfulness to a composition. With lots of pics and video editing apps, how to invert photo on iPhone and other devices have been made easy.
Through iOS accessibility features for the display, you can modify these features such as enlarging your text, making it bold, applying colour filters, using smart invert, controlling auto-brightness, increasing contrast, and more.
Here in this article, I would take you through different steps on how to invert photo on iPhone using different image and video editing Apps.
How To Invert Colors on iPhone
Inverting photos changes how pics and contents are displayed on your screen. Turning on smart Invert would change the colors on the display, except for images, media, and some apps that use dark color styles. While turning on classic invert would change all colors on the display.
Follows these steps on how to invert photo on iPhone:
- Open the Settings app, then tap Accessibility > Display & Text Size. Turn on Smart Invert.
- Open the Settings app, then tap Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Turn on Classic Invert.
Recommended: How to Invert a Picture on iPhone
How to Invert Photo on iPhone
The photo app on your iPhone doesn’t let you invert colors on a single photo, but you can do that on third-party photo editing apps such as Photoshop and Lightroom.
Photoshop Express is one of the best picture and video editing tools. You can perfectly invert colors on images using photoshop express by applying a special color inverting filter. It also works for vector artwork and embedded images.
Go to the App store on your iPhone, search and download photoshop express photo editor by Adobe Inc. Photoshop Express has a lot of uses other than simply inverting pics.
Follow these steps to invert the colors of your photos in Photoshop Express:
- Open Photoshop Express.
- Navigate to Edit, then select the photo you would like to invert.
- Choose Basic, from under the Looks tab.
- Scroll right and tap Invert.
- To save the newly inverted photo, click the Share button in the upper-right corner, then choose Save.
The inverted version of the photo would now be saved in your library and you can repeat this same process for as many photos you would like to invert.
Lightroom allows you to invert photos and is designed to give you more control. Go to the App store on your iPhone, search and download Lightroom photo & video editor by Adobe Inc.
Lightroom doesn’t automatically allow you to invert photos but you can play with the curves slider to invert photos. This may seem less convenient, but it does give you freedom in editing your photos. You can control the level of inversion, exposure, contrast, etc.
Follow these steps to invert photos using Lightroom:
- Open Lightroom.
- Import the photo you want to invert.
- Navigate to Light > Curve.
- Now drag its bottom-left point to the top left and its top-right point to the bottom right within the Tone Curve.
- You can also play with other points to adjust exposure, contrast, etc.
- To save your newly inverted photo, tap the Share button in the upper-right corner and choose Export to Camera Roll.
How to Invert a Picture on Picsart
Picsart allows you to apply negatives in a creative, layered way and also allows you to take your images to a very different level. With Picsart you can easily invert certain sections and shapes within your photo instead of transforming the whole image into a negative. You can easily flip both negative and positive gradients using the Picsart application.
- Open the Picsart mobile application on your mobile phone and tap the purple plus sign below to begin a new project. Then select the photo you want to use from the photo library that appears on your screen. As a beginner, you should choose the black and white portrait. This way it would be easy for you to differentiate flipped shades and you can also invert color images.
- Now on the editing screen, choose the FX tool from the menu below your canvas. This tool would help you to achieve a stunning look.
- Select the colors category, then select Negative from the FX tool and the full photo would be inverted. To apply the filter after selection, choose to Apply in the upper right-hand corner of your device screen.
- In case you don’t want to make changes to the whole photo, you may decide to edit a specific part of the photo. Choose Selection from the tools menu to grab and edit a specific part of your Photo.
- Pick a selection shape from the menu underneath, then move and stretch the shape till it covers part of the photo where you want to apply the negative filter. If you are a beginner you can start with a rectangle and oval shape. If you are more familiar with the tool you can decide to draw your shape with a brush tool.
- Select FX in the toolbar and the edits you make will be applied only to the selected area.
- Once you’ve situated your shape, click FX in the toolbar pop-up at the top of the screen. The app will apply the edits you make during this step only to the selected area.
- Now choose negative from the effect menu at the bottom, the rest of your image would temporarily disappear. After placing the filter, then select Apply from the top corner to get back to the whole image.
- To keep practising you can make more selections in different shapes and invert the hues to selected areas.
- However, if you select parts of the photo that you already cast in negative hues, the effect will be reversed. Also if you selected a part of the photo that intersects both negative and positive hues, this selection would overturn both and the positive tonalities would turn negative while the negative tonalities would turn positive.
- Tap Apply in the upper right-hand corner to keep saving any changes.
- Tap Next in the upper right-hand corner to save, after you’ve finished editing the entire image.
Can You Invert an Image in Photos
Yes, you can easily invert an image, although iPhones allow you to invert photos using a third-party photo editing App such as Picsart, adobe photoshop express, adobe lightroom, etc. would give you a better result.
How do You Reverse Negative Photos on iPhone?
You can reverse negative photos on your iPhone by turning off smart invert or classic invert. To reverse a negative photo on your iPhone: Open Settings, then select Accessibility > Display & Text Size. Turn off Smart Invert or Classic Invert.
Invert Photo App
- Negative Image
- Negative Men
- Negative Photo
- Negative Photo Effects HD
- Picsart Photo & Video Editor
- Photoshop Express Photo Editor
- Lightroom Photo & Video Editor
How to Invert a Picture on iPhone iOS 14
If you would like to invert a picture on your iPhone iOS 14, you would have to turn on smart or classic Invert on your device. A smart invert would change the colors on the display, except for images, media, and some apps that use dark color styles. While using the classic invert would change all colors on the display.
On how to invert a picture on iPhone iOS 14: Open the Settings app, then tap Accessibility > Display & Text Size. Turn on Smart Invert or Classic Invert.
How to Make a Picture Negative on iPhone 12
If you use an iPhone 12, ensure you turn smart invert or classic invert on your device, and this way the color display would be changed. For a much better result, you can download an inverted photo app on your Apple store.
On how to make a picture negative on iPhone 12: Open the Settings app, then tap Accessibility > Display & Text Size. Turn on Smart Invert or Classic Invert.
In conclusion, ensure you keep practising how to invert photos on your iPhone using different image and video editing apps to achieve a perfect result.