You know what Rar files are right? So, let talk on how to open RAR files on Android, iOS, Windows and Mac OS. If you have a .RAR file on your PC or smartphone, you need a special tool to open the file.
Before we go ahead with how to open RAR files on Android and how to unzip RAR on iPhone, iPad, and iPad, let us take a first look at some important terms we’ll use in the guide.
Table of Contents
What is a RAR File?
RAR is a short word for Roshal Archive Compressed. Which means that a large file can be compressed to a smaller size without losing a single content in it and still maintain the file exact file size when the RAR file is opened.
However, to open a RAR file you need special software. But, you can easily turn a normal file folder into a RAR folder.
After you create your RAR file you can use a RAR file opener online to open it. But, you cannot open it the way you created it.
What is a Zip File?
If you have a zip file folder you will want to learn how to open it too just like the case of a RAR file folder. A zip could be used in a more extensive means compared to RAR.
When you turn a file to a zip format it could mean you want to compress it, archive it, split, encrypt it, and lot more.
They are many tools online to open a zip File and one of the most widely used online zip file open is the 7-Zip app.
Rar File vs Zip File
What is the relationship between a Zip file and a Rar file? This is just a brief explanation on Rar file vs Zip file.
A zip file is more accessible and can easily be created on Windows and Mac without using a third party app like WinRAR or 7Zip. You can compress files using Zip format, encrypt files, and do a lot more.
RAR files, on the other hand, support a better compression than zipping but they are common. Not only that they are common you need WinRAR to create a RAR file.
The better part of zipping and creating a RAR file is that both formats have good compression power and are secure to keep a component file together inside a single folder.
Password Zip & RAR Folder
You can create a password to protect both the zip and RAR folder. However, when a zip file is password protected you cannot directly unzip it, you will need a valid password to unzip it.
However, if you have a zip folder you no longer have access to its password here is how to bypass PDF file with a password and print the document in the folder.
Rar file, on the other hand, can also be password protected to enhance a high level of folder encryption. If your RAR file is protected with a password you will need the password to complete the file extraction.
How to Open RAR Files on Android
Here is a step by step procedure to open a RAR file on Android using Android RAR file unpack app.
- Go to play store, search for RAR, download RAR app for Android and install it. The RAR app, in particular, is published by win.rar GmbH
- Open the RAR app on your phone by clicking on the app icon
- Select the RAR file you want to open
- Select all the files in the raw file and click on the extract icon before the trash can.
- Under the extract option, select the folder location where you want to save the file you are about to extract.
Following the procedures above you can open all RAR files on your Android phone.
How to Open Rar Files on iPhone
If you have a zip file (.zip file) or folder or Rar (.Rar) folder on your iOS such as iPhone, iPad, and iPod here is how you can open it and extract the file.
- Go to App Store, search and install download WinZip
- Open WinZip, select open in… and open the compressed folder
- Click OK on the popup message Would you like to extract all files?”
- All files will be unzipped. And if you want to unzip the file to another folder, you can create a new folder and name it what you can easily remember.
Now, you can repeat the process above to unzip or extract all your Rar files and access the folder’s components.
Open Rar File on Windows and Mac
There various commercial and free software to extract Rar files on Windows and Mac. The common of these tools is the WinRar or 7Zip software to unzip file Windows and Mac computer.
However, in this guide, we’ll make use of the 7Zip tool to unzip Rar files on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Download and install 7Zip software on your Windows or Mac
- Go to the .Rar file and right-click on the folder
- Hover your mouse pointer to 7Zip and select extract files
- Select the location you want to extract the files to and click OK
- To set a password protection type the password into the column and then press OK.
They are numerous ways on how to open Rar Files. You can use software such as 7Zip, WinRar, or other similar unzipping software. You can also use an online zip file opener.
Whichever one works for you or you prefer, just stick to it and keep unzipping for Rar or Zip file.