Do you want to know how to turn off Firestick?This article will explore the various means of turning off your Firestick
When you look at your Firestick, you will see different buttons with different functions. On some models, you will see a power button, but a quick press on the button, and you will realize that the button to controls your tv does work and does not turn off the Firestick itself.
Although the power button turns off your Firestick tv, your Firestick is still running. In that case, how then do you turn off the Firestick?
This article will show you the various available ways you can follow to turn off your Firestick.
Different ways to turn off Firestick
Usually, your Firestick turns off itself automatically 20 minutes after it is no longer in use; that is, once your tv is off, your Firestick turns itself off 20 minutes after.
However, when you want to turn off your Firestick immediately after use, either to reduce power consumption or for any other reason. The following methods will come in handy.
Before looking at the various methods, it is essential to clarify that turning off your Firestick means putting it to sleep and not shutting down.
Turn off Firestick with your Remote.
As explained earlier, turning off a firestick is simply putting it to sleep, and one of the easiest ways of achieving this is using your firestick remote.
Here is a step by step guide
- Press and hold down the Home button on your firestick remote. After about five(5) seconds, the menu will show on your tv screen.
- Select the Sleep option on the screen.
Then you will notice that your screen has turned dark, and the device has gone to sleep.
At this point, your Firestick is off using the remote. When you want to watch your tv again, press any button on your remote, and your Firestick will wake from sleep mode.
Do you want to pair your new Firestick remote without the old one? Check out this article
Turn off Firestick with the Fire TV app
If you do not have access to your remote or prefer to control your Firestick with the app, you can use the remote feature of the app to turn off your Firestick.
The firestick app is available on the Apple app store and Google play store. It is, however, only compatible with devices that run on either the ios 7.0 or the android OS 4.0 or more recent versions.
If you do not have the fire tv app installed on your mobile device, here is a step-by-step guide on getting started.
- Download the fire tv app on either your android or ios phone.
- Ensure that your smartphone is connected to the same wifi as your Firestick.
- Opening the fire tv app for the first time would ask to request local network permission. It is essential that you click sure.
- The app will automatically look for fire tv devices connected to the same wifi network as the phone. Once your Firestick appears, click on it.
- A four digit code will appear on your tv screen, enter the code into the app, and within a couple of seconds, both devices will connect.
- Once both devices are connected, you can use the app as your fire stick remote.
Now that you have the fire tv app installed, you can follow the following steps to turn off your Firestick using the app.
- Select the remote function in the bottom menu of your app.
- Select the gear icon in the upper left corner, which will give you access to your fire stick’s sleep and settings menu.
- Select sleep in the settings menu and your screen will turn dark.
When this happens, it means you have successfully turned off your Firestick. Press any item on the app screen, and your Firestick will wake from sleep mode.
Remove Firestick from Power Source
The various methods listed above turn off Firestick by putting it to sleep. While this reduces power consumption, software updates can continue as Firestick still runs in the background.
There is currently no option to shut down your Firestick completely. The only currently available method is to either unplug the firestick adapter from the power source, turn the power source switch off, or pull out the power cable from the device itself.
This would shut down the Firestick completely and prevent all functions of the Firestick from running in the background.
This article looked at the different means of turning off a firestick. We looked at turning off with the remote, with the fire tv app and since there is no provision for completely shutting down the Firestick, also unplugging from the power source, to shut down completely.
You can explore any of these options, and depending on your preference, you can use any of them to turn off your Firestick.
Lastly, it is essential to note that no software will automatically update your Firestick when you turn it off by unplugging it from the power source.