Apple and all iTunes community members are aware of the server error message; iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server s.mzstatic.com error with an option to continue but a threat that continuing might put your device and personal information at risk of hackers.
Apple’s suggestion to fix the s.mzstatic.com iTunes error is to change the trust settings of a certificate in Keychain Access on Mac. But what if this didn’t work?
In all fairness, we will discuss how to fix unable to verify the identity of the server is4-ssl.mzstatic.com on your macOS or Mac computer.
What is s.mzstatic.com Error?
s.mzstatic.com error occurs only if you updated the iTunes 11.0.3 or newer version. Since the release of this iTunes version or later users have been facing server verifying error messages on the iTunes program when launched on Macs.
The s.mzstatic.com error message is explanatory enough telling users that a particular server’s certificate is not valid. However, iTunes will not automatically close when this message pops. Instead, it offers an option to continue and connect with the invalid server but with a threat that the server might grant access to your personal information which could put them at risk.
Even though the s.mzstatic.com error depends on the certificate with the invalid key but mostly it occurs when dealing with iTunes certificates related to Mac.
Some of the errors you will encounter when you see iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server s.mzstatic.com error include:
- iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server upp.iTunes.apple.co
- iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server p16-buy.itunes.apple.com.
Now that we know what is s.mzstatic.com itunes error we can take a look at the possible solution(s).
If you see any of the messages above or anything related to iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server, take the following steps to fix it.
How to Fix iTunes can’t Verify the Identity of the Server s.mzstatic.com
To fix iTunes can’t Verify the Identity of the Server s.mzstatic.com according to the Apple troubleshooting method you need to change the trust settings of a certificate in Keychain Access on Mac. But if this didn’t work? Well, to fix this you’d need to bypass the Apple certificate for trusting unknown servers just as in the case of installing APK apps on Android phones.
Warning: Fixing the s.mzstatic.com iTunes error with this method can increase your chance of getting malicious program access on your Mac computer IF the error isn’t from the official Apple site.
Change the Trust Settings of a Certificate in Keychain Access on Mac
The following steps will help you to change the trust settings of a certificate in keychain access on your macOS If you are struggling to fix the s.mzstatic.com error on your iTunes and Apple Mac device.
- Close the iTunes program with the s.mzstatic.com iTunes error and Apple Store on your Mac if they are both opened.
- Click on the macOS “Finder” >> “Applications” >> “Utility.”
- Open “Keychain Access” in the Apple Finder
- Find and select “System Roots” in the “Keychain Access” folder.
- Locate the “Category” pane on the left and click on “Certificates.”
- Click on the plus (+) sign on all the certificates that have a blue sign to expand.
- Click on the triangle that is next to the “Trust” option.
- Choose “No Value Specified” in the “Secure Socket Layer (SSL).”
- Close the opened “Certificate” and provide your password when prompted to close it.
- Now, click on the “Certificate” twice to open it.
- Choose “Use System Default” in the “When using this certificate” option.
- Close the “Certificate” after the above step and provide your admin password when prompted.
- The plus (+) sign with a blue dot will disappear.
- Repeat the above process for all plus (+) signs with a blue dot.
- Once you are done, close the Mac Keychain Access.
If you follow the process above without leaving any plus (+) sign with a blue dot the invalid certificate error message that resulted in iTunes can’t Verify the Identity of the Server s.mzstatic.com should be fixed.
Remove the Verisign Certificates in Mac
Even though changing the trust certificate settings fix the unable to verify the identity of the server s.mzstatic.com. It’s worthing adding another method to consider that can be of help when dealing with the s.mzstatic.com iTunes error.
Therefore, another method we recommend to fix the s.mzstatic.com iTunes error is to remove the Verisign certificate from your Mac.
- Open Keychain (by pressing CMD+Space and then typing “Keychain”).
- Click on “Login” and “All Items” in the left-hand column.
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Select all certificates starting with “Verisign”.
- Right-click (control-click) them and select “Delete …”.
If the steps above didn’t work kindly consider the steps below.
- Open Keychain (by pressing CMD+Space and then typing “Keychain”).
- Then type “veri” into the Keychain app’s search bar.
- For each of the VeriSign certificates, do the following:
- Check that the certificate is still valid (far right column) and delete it if it isn’t.
- Double-click it, which brings up its own window and expands the “Trust” menu.
- Make sure “When using this certificate:” is set to “Use System Defaults”, not “Always Trust”.The remaining 10 should be left at “no value specified”.
Warning: Do not remove the certificate by that name under the “System Roots.”
Open iTunes in Safe Mode
Let’s take a look at another way to find out and fix the iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server s.mzstatic.com. If neither of the methods above work for you may want to open iTunes in safe mode on your Mac computer to see if the s.mzstatic.com iTunes error would occur.
- Press the power button on your Mac and press and hold the Shift key immediately.
- Keep holding the key until you see the login screen.
- Enter your login password to access the safe mode.
- If your Mac computer disk is decrypted with a program such as FileVault you may be prompted to enter your password more than once.
- Locate and open iTunes while in safe mode to see whether unable to verify the identity of the server s.mzstatic.com error will pop again.
Once you are done and ready to leave the safe mode just restart your Mac computer normally and you will be taken off the safe mode.
Reset Keychain Login Password
Keychain is your macOS password management which was introduced by Apple when Mac OS 8.6 was released. So, if your iTunes keep saying iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server init.itunes.apple.com, resetting the keychain login password could be your lasting solution.
The following steps explain how to reset the macOS keychain login password to fix the s.mzstatic.com error.
- Open “Finder” on your Mac.
- Go to “Applications” and select “Utilities.”
- Click on “Login” on the left side of the “Utilities” screen.
- Choose “Change Password for Keychain “Login”...
- Type your current “Keychain password” in the “Current Password column.
- Enter your new “Keychain password” in the “New Password” column and repeat the new password in the “Verify” column.
- Once it is set click on the “OK” tab to the bottom right.
If changing the Trust Settings of a Certificate in Keychain Access on Mac should fix iTunes can’t Verify the Identity of the Server s.mzstatic.com error on your Mac computer. However, if it fails, the other methods should work perfectly.
Do let us know which of the methods works perfectly to help you resolve the unable to verify the identity of the server s.mzstatic.com iTunes error.