The worst-ever scenario is to see your LG TV WiFi turned off for unknown reasons. Although, you can troubleshoot this error whenever your LG TV says WiFi is turned off. But when your LG TV not connecting to WiFi becomes consistent it could mean that you have a lot more to do than expected.
In most cases, when your LG TV is not connecting to your WiFi you’d probably not be able to use the TV with the internet and stream online on the TV. This can be frustrating though but with this guide, we will take a look at the reason why your LG TV WiFi is turned off and troubleshoot the TV to solve the LG TV not connecting to WiFi error message.
I have been in this position before and now I am going to share my experience with you about how I was able to fix my LG TV says WiFi is turned off when it was not directed to turn off.
The worst case scenario is when your LG TV disconnects from WiFi when turned off. In the case of my Samsung TV, it disconnects when turned off but connects automatically if my WiFi is turned on.
Therefore, if the WiFi is turned off message on your LG TV worries you; one thing you would want to do is to fix it.
We will recommend this article to you as we’ll consider different methods that you can follow to fix your LG TV says wifi is turned off and LG TV disconnects from WiFi when turned off.
Why does my LG TV say the WiFi is Turned Off?
If the case hasn’t gotten to the LG TV WiFi turned off can’t turn on; we can say it’s minor. But if otherwise; we may be forced to turn on the WiFi with your LG TV remote; so, here we will also consider how to turn on WiFi on LG TV with remote.
Whenever you see the WiFi is turned off message on your LG TV at home or office without turning off the WiFi yourself it means that your LG TV has automatically disconnected from the said WiFi or the LG WiFi is turned off.
If the WiFi or Router device is turned off your LG TV will be disconnected from the WiFi and you will see WiFi is turned off or disconnected on your LG smart TV or something similar.
But is common to see in this scenario if LG smart tv WiFi is turned off.
However, the following reasons could be responsible for the “why” the LG smart TV disconnected from your WiFi.
- The WiFi or Router is turned off.
- The WiFi or Router is far from the TV.
- your TV is blocked or backlisted from the WiFi.
If these are the reasons why your LG smart TV is turned off from connecting to the WiFi then you just need to make the WiFi available. But if on the contrary, the following suggestions will help you to fix the LG TV WiFi turned off.
Causes of LG TV WiFi Turned Off
Even though you will learn how to turn on WiFi on LG TV with remote in this guide we need to state the main reason why your LG TV WiFi keeps disconnecting from your WiFi.
- Turn on the LG TV WiFi manually after the message “wifi is turned off LG TV” appears on the screen.
- Check your router whether is turned off. If you are using a router with a backup adapter or battery the router may turn off if the battery dies or is weak; as such you may see the “LG tv says wifi is turned off” message on the screen.
- If neither the router nor the LG TV WiFi connection is turned off you should consider cold booting both systems [router and TV].
- Check whether your LG TV quick smart feature is enabled. If it’s, then, you need to consider turning it off.
- Your LG Simplink feature can also cause LG smart TV wifi turned off.
We will further break down these points so as to know how to utilize each of the tips to fix LG smart TV says wifi is turned off.
Turn on your LG TV WiFi
First, we would want to believe that you know how to turn on your LG TV WiFi to be able to connect your TV to the internet, not the other way around where you would not turn on your LG TV and expect the smart TV to connect to the internet.
- Switch on your LG smart TV.
- Press the LG TV remote “Smart” button and use the navigation buttons to access the “Home Menu.”
- Navigate to “Settings” and press “OK” on your remote.
- Choose “Network >> WiFi connection.”
- Just hang on as the LG TV will attempt to connect to (invisible) WiFi.
- Find and select your WiFi and enter the passcode to connect to it.
Once the LG TV has connected to the WiFi you should see the connection mark checked blue.
LG TV Searching For WiFi
Your LG TV should be able to detect your WiFi network within seconds if the network is within your TV coverage. While your LG TV may not be able to connect to the WiFi it should be able to detect that there is a WiFi connection available.
However, you may need to troubleshoot the TV if your LG TV searching for WiFi loops infinitely.
So, to start with; we will admonish you to take the following troubleshooting tips first if your LG TV searching for WiFi keep rolling until you are forced to shut down the TV.
- Ensure your WiFi is turned on and it’s discoverable to allow your LG TV to discover it.
- Your WiFi source must be within the range your TV can detect or better still move the WiFi device or hotspot closer to your TV.
- Check your network connection to ensure that there is network coverage.
With all these available; your LG TV should be able to detect your WiFi either from your Router or Hotspot.
How to Fix LG TV WiFi Turned Off
We have tested various approaches on how to fix LG smart TV WiFi turned off but we found the following suggestion as the best method to troubleshoot your LG TV when there is a problem with the TV WiFi connection.
Unplug your Modem or Router
First, consider this as the basic step to take to reset your Router without clearing off personal settings on the Modem or Router. When your LG smart TV WiFi is turned off from your Router or Modem at random, cold boot the modem or Router to see whether it fixes it.
To cold boot your modem or Router just follow the steps below.
- Unplug your Modem or Router from the power source for about 15 minutes.
- Plug the router back into the wall socket.
- Turn on the WiFi and wait for it to turn on.
- Navigate to your LG smart TV “Network >> WiFi connection.”
- Search for the name of the WiFi and connect to it.
Now, wait for some minutes to see whether your WiFi will be disconnected from your LG TV. If it does, then you need to move to the next step. But if it doesn’t, just go through the next steps as they might help in the future in case you still experience the LG smart TV WiFi turned off randomly or repeatedly.
Disable your LG Smart TV Quick Smart Feature
We discovered from our research that the LG smart TV quick smart feature sometimes makes the LG TV malfunction especially if your TV firmware is outdated. In place of this, we will consider how to turn off or disable the smart feature in your LG smart TV to fix the LG TV WiFi is turned.
- Press the “Home” button on your remote control.
- Navigate and select “All Settings.”
- Choose “General.”
- Select “Quick Start.”
- Set to “Off.”
Now, cold boot or power cycle your LG smart TV and see whether you can connect to the WiFi. If this fails as well, try the next suggestion.
Disable Simplink Feature
Another LG smart TV feature that can affect how the TV communicates with available WiFi is the Simplink feature. Therefore, we will recommend that you should disable it first and see whether the TV WiFi is turned off will be fixed.
- Press your LG smart TV “Home” button.
- Navigate to and choose “All Settings.”
- Select “General” by navigating to it.
- Select “Simplink (HDMI-CEC).
- Turn it off if the feature is turned on.
Now, disconnect your LG smart TV from the power source. Wait for a couple of seconds and insert the plug back into the wall socket and test-run the TV with your WiFi whether it disconnected again.
Check or Reset the Time Zone
Router lease expiration can affect WiFi connectivity. So, you want to check your LG smart TV time zone to see whether it’s contributing to the WiFi turned off on your device.
- Go to your LG Smart TV Settings >> All Settings.
- Choose “General >> Time & Date.”
Check whether the time and date zone are correct. If they are not, choose the correct time & date zone and check whether the WiFi is turned off connectivity with your LG smart TV and whether it’s fixed.
Connect your LG Smart TV to WiFi using WPS
WPS as popularly called is also referred to as a wireless pin code. This is useful in case the WiFi-enabled device is unable to receive a network signal. So, in this wise, we will make use of the LG smart TV WPS option in the Wireless connection settings to see whether we will be able to solve the LG TV WiFi is turned off.
- Press on your LG TV remote “Home >> Settings >> All settings.”
- Navigate and select “Network >> Wire Connection >> Connect via WPS Pin.
The necessary option to make use of the wire connection via WPS PIN will appear and you can follow the instruction on the screen to finish up the settings.
Update your LG Smart TV Firmware
If you are the type that likes to automate things you will prefer to set your LG smart TV firmware update to automatic. With this, your LG smart TV firmware will be updated automatically whenever there is a new release and the TV is connected to the internet.
- Go to your “LG smart TV Settings“
- Choose “All Settings.”
- Now, navigate to “General” and select it.
- Scroll down to “About this TV >> Check for Update.”
The smart TV will check for the available update manually and download and install it. Meanwhile, during the process, the TV may restart. And once it’s done go to the network connection settings and connect to the WiFi to see whether it fixes it.
We have a strong belief that this article has answered the “why does my LG WiFi is turned off” and provided solutions on how to fix LG TV WiFi turned off.
Other Tips to Fix LG smart TV WiFi is Turned Off
If your LG TV still displays LG TV wifi is turned off after the above troubleshooting tips you may want to check the other professional tips we suggested below.
1. Check your LG TV Time and Date
If your LG TV time and date are wrong it could result in the LG tv keeps saying wifi is turned off even when the WiFi is turned on.
Therefore, you should review your LG TV time and date when you can get away with wifi is turned off message on LG TV.
Follow the steps below to set your LG TV time and date correctly.
- Turn on your LG TV.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Scroll down and select “General.”
- Choose “Time & Date.“
- Set the time and date to manual or choose “Automatic” if you are connected to the internet.
- Press the “OK” button to select the option.
2. Reset your LG to Default Settings
Another option you can explore is resetting your LG TV to the default settings. Let’s quickly go through it below.
- Press the Power button on your remote
- Select the Settings icon on the home screen
- Choose “General >>Factory Data Reset”
- Choose Yes and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the LG TV factory reset.
Your LG TV will restart automatically once the reset is completed. And your TV will become new while all personal configuration will be erased.
3. Change your Country of Residence
You can clear the wifi is turned off message on LG TV and restore the TV back to normal by changing the country of residence.
- Power on your LG TV.
- Navigate to “Settings >> General.”
- Choose “LG Services Country.”
- Disable “Set Location Automatically.”
- Change the country to another country except for the previous one.
- Accept the pop-up by clicking on the “Yes” request.
- Restart the TV.
Once the restart is completed connect the LG TV to the WiFi and see whether the LG smart tv says wifi is turned off still appears.
Note: You can revert back to your country from the settings above if the lg smart tv wifi is turned off message appears and see whether it has been fixed permanently.
4. Connect your LG TV to Router using Wire
If your LG TV saying wifi turned off persist you should consider connecting your LG TV to WiFI using an HDMI or ethernet cable until the issue is resolved.
Therefore, to connect your LG smart TV to WiFi when it keeps saying lg webos TV wifi is turned off kindly try the following using your WiFi ethernet or HDMI.
- Plug you Ethernet cable into one of the RJ45 sockets on the rear of your internet modem/ router
- Plug the other end into your TV ethernet port.
- Turn on the TV.
The LG TV keeps saying wifi is turned off should be disappear and your TV should connect to the internet via the cable. However, if you are required to manually connect your LG TV to the wired cable kindly follow the steps below.
- Go to your LG TV settings.
- Choose “General” >> “Open Network.”
- Select “Wired” and follow the instruction on the screen.
Note: Type the WiFi password if it has one.
LG webOS TV WiFi is Turned Off
Follow the steps below to turn on your LG webOS TV WiFi if it’s turned off.
- Turn on your LG TV.
- Go to “Quick Settings Menu.”
- Choose and select “Network.”
- Choose “WiFi Connection.”
- Press “OK” to turn on the WiFi connection.
How to Turn on WiFi on LG TV with Remote
I personally always prefer to use remote over buttons. So, I think I cannot do with the use of my TV remote. So, if you are in the same category, I’d like to walk you through how to turn on WiFi on LG TV with remote control easily.
- Open your LG “Quick Setting Menu” with your TV remote controller.
- Navigate to “Network” and select “Enter.“
- Choose “WiFi Connection” under “Internet Connection” and press “OK” on the remote controller.
- Under “WiFi Connection” toggle the “grey” button to turn “green” to find all available WiFi networks.
- Scroll to the WiFi network you want to connect to and click on the “OK” button on the remote controller.
- Enter the WiFi password IF it is a secure connection using the onscreen keyword and remote control.
Click on the “Enter” button on the onscreen keyboard once you have successfully typed the password.
Once the connection is successful you will see the check icon opposite the WiFi name you selected.
LG TV WiFi Turned Off Can’t Turn On
In some cases, what actually causes your LG TV WiFi turned off can’t turn on problem is the location problem. If your TV is showing a location different from your current location it [MAY] results in the WiFit turning off and refusing to turn on.
So, to fix your LG TV WiFi turned off can’t turn on as seen on Reddit; we will advise you to change the location to your current location and if you can’t figure out how to do that kindly take the following steps.
- Go to your LG TV General Settings.
- Navigate and choose “Location.”
- Choose the “Manual” option to be able to manually select your location.
- Choose your current location and save changes.
Now, you may decide to restart the TV but it’s not mandatory. After the above steps, you can check whether your LG TV WiFi is turned off and on successfully.
It can be frustrating if you can’t connect your LG TV to your WiFi or Hotspot. What is more frustrating is when your TV cannot detect your WiFi. And with this guide; you should be able to troubleshoot LG TV WiFi is turned off and LG TV disconnects from WiFi when turned off.