Why does Instagram keep crashing? Is the Instagram server down? Do you need to update the Instagram app as the app keeps crashing to fix it? These are what we will cover here in this guide.
If the Instagram app keeps closing when you opened it or says, the Instagram app has stopped working or the Instagram app not responding, then, you need to go through this post that answers why does my Instagram keep crashing question and provides steps to take to fix it.
Why Does Instagram Keep Crashing?
The reason why your Instagram app keeps crashing is diverse. If the Instagram app is outdated the app can crash and if the app cache is in excess the app can close itself each time you open the app.
While these are internal reasons why your Instagram app keeps crashing, if your device OS is outdated it can affect how apps on your phone work.
Your Instagram account will keep crashing if you are running an outdated OS that doesn’t support the latest Instagram app you are using because of possible bugs that are causing your Instagram app to crash whenever you open or launch the app.
In summary, if your Instagram app keeps crashing you need to try the following.
- Clear the Instagram app cache.
- Update the Instagram app to the latest version.
- Upgrade your phone OS to the latest update.
- Check whether the Instagram server is down
- Free more space on your phone by deleting unnecessary files or move the files to external storage.
- Set the Instagram app to auto-update.
Before we proceed into how to execute each of the fixes to the Instagram keep crashing problem, let’s quickly consider the following to start with it.
Instagram Keeps Closing
If your Instagram keeps closing it could mean that there is an new update available that you need to download and install. If you experience instagram keeps closing android, go to the Google playstore, click on your profile icon, choose apps & games, click on Instagram and click on the update button to download the latest version and update it.
Instagram Account Multiple Login Ain’t Working.
Another way to confirm that the Instagram app has crashed is that you will not be able to log in to multiple accounts in case you have more than a single Instagram account.
The funny part is that you may not experience the Instagram crashing glitch when you log in to the same account on different devices. But, when you want to use the multiple account features, the app will close, indicating that the app is probably crashed.
Unable to Open Instagram Stories
If you are unable to open the Instagram stories, it could mean that the app is crashed. Other features on Instagram might work perfectly, but when it comes to opening the Inst stories, the app will keep closing.
As it is, this is an indication that the app has crashed and you need to wait until it’s fixed or follow the guide here to fix it.
Instagram DM not Working
This also affects Instagram DM. Some users are not able to send DM on Instagram why the issue didn’t affect some?
Java error on Instagram
Some users are faced with the “A Java error” bug when the Instagram app is crashed on both Android and iPhone.
Upon all these “why Instagram keeps crashing” possible reasons, the solution or fix is at your fingertips if it’s not Instagram server down.
Why does my Instagram Keep Crashing
Below are some of the reasons why your Instagram keeps crashing. So, we will detail the steps to take to answer your query regarding why does my Instagram keep crashing.
- Restart your smartphone.
- Update the Instagram app.
- Clear the App caches.
- Force Stop the Instagram app.
- Check Instagram Server status (if it’s down).
- Logout and log in to your Instagram account
- Remove and Reinstall the Instagram app.
- Use Instagram Web.
- Check for OS update.
Restart your Smartphone
If your Instagram app keeps crashing the first step to take is to restart your phone. This will clear the freezing stuff on the device. Follow the steps below to learn how to restart your phone.
How to Restart Android Phone
By follow the steps below you will learn how to restart your Android phone.
- Press the power button.
- Tap on “Restart.”
Depending on your phone, you might have to press the power button longer to pop up the option to restart your Android device.
How to Restart iPhone
iPhone users can follow the procedures below to restart their device in a bit to fix the Instagram crashing error.
- Press and hold either volume button simultaneously.
- Wait until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off.
However, you might have to wait for a minimum of 30 seconds before the device will turn off. After a while, power on your iPhone and open the Instagram app to see whether the app is still closing in an unusual manner.
Update Instagram App
If your Instagram app is outdated the app might crash each time you open it. So, by following the steps below you will be able to update your Instagram app to the latest version.
Follow the steps below on your Android phone to update your Instagram app to the latest version.
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap on the “Hamburger” to the top left.
- Tap on “My apps & games.”
- Tap “Instagram”
- Tap “Update”.
- Tap “Open” once the update is done.
If the Instagram crash is caused by the outdated app will not close or crash or return Java error or other errors that you experiencing because you are running the latest version.
Note: To avoid this error in the future, you should turn on apps auto-update on Android phones.
By following the steps on your iPhone you will be able to update your Instagram app to the newest release.
- Open the App Store
- Click on “Apps.”
- Search for “Instagram” and click on it from the search result.
- Tap “Update” next to the Instagram icon.
- Wait for the Instagram app to download and install the latest version on your iPhone.
If you do not want to manually update apps on your iPhone, follow this direction to turn on automatic updates on all your iPhone apps.
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. Then turn on App Updates.
Clear Instagram Cache
The excess cache can cause the Instagram app to crash indefinitely if not cleared once in a while. You can clear caches often to free up more space on the app and to help fight against crashing. Therefore, by following the steps below you will learn how to clear the Instagram app cache to fix Instagram keeps crashing.
If you are using an Android phone kindly follow the steps below to clear your Instagram cache.
- Go to your Android app (settings).
- Tap on “Apps” Apps Manager”
- Tap on “Instagram”
- Tap “Storage”
- Tap “Clear Caches”
This should restore the Instagram app to its normalcy on your Android device.
Kindly follow the steps below to learn how to clear your Instagram app cache on your iPhone.
- Launch the iPhone Settings app.
- Tap on the General tab.
- Tap the iPhone Storage tab.
- Tap on Instagram when all your apps load
- Tap “Delete App“
- Click “Delete App” to delete the Instagram app from your iPhone
- Restart your iPhone.
- Redownload the Instagram and install it on your iDevice.
With the method above, you will be able to clear your Instagram app cache and install the latest version. If your Instagram app still crashes kindly proceed to the next troubleshooting guide.
Force Stop the Instagram App
Forcing to stop the Instagram app from working on your device can fix the Instagram error that makes the app keep closing or crashing.
Force Stop Instagram on Android
Follow the procedures below to force stop the Instagram app on your Android.
- Go to your Android phone app settings.
- Tap on “Apps” >> Instagram.
- Tap “Force Stop”
- Tap “Force Stop ” on “this app may stop working properly if your force stops it” popup.
Navigate to your app menu and tap on the Instagram app to open it. If the app didn’t close, it means that the app is working fine, and it won’t crash at the moment.
Force to Stop Instagram on iPhone
To force stop the Instagram app on your iPhone, you need to open recent apps by pressing the recent screen button and swiping up the app to close the app.
This works on most iPhones, both new and old iPhones. iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, XR, Xs, Xs Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max.
Instagram Server is Down
If the Instagram server is down, it could be contributing to the reason why the app keeps crashing. How do you then check whether the Instagram server is down? By follow the steps below you will be able to find out whether the Instagram server is down.
- Go to Google.com.
- Type “Instagram server down.”
- You will see the recent update on the state of the Instagram server.
Logout and Login to your Instagram Account
If your Instagram keeps crashing even after all the steps above them consider logging out of your Instagram account and logging into the account with your login username and password.
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Tap on the “Profile” picture icon at the bottom right.
- Tap on the “Hamburger” to the top right.
- Tap on the “Settings” cogwheel down the screen.
- Scroll down and tap “Log Out.”
- Tap “Log Out” from the Popup.
After this, restart your phone, tap on the Instagram app, enter your Instagram login username and password, and tap on the login button. With this, you should be able to find a solution to why your Instagram app keeps crashing.
Remove and Reinstall the Instagram App
Does your Instagram still crash? Then, you should consider uninstalling the Instagram app, restart your phone and go to your phone apps store to reinstall the app.
Uninstall Instagram on Android
By following the step below you will learn how to uninstall the Instagram app on your Android phone.
- Go to your Android phone app.
- Tap on “Apps” or Apps Manager” or Applications Manager.”
- Scroll down to “Instagram” and tap on it.
- Tap on “Uninstall”
- Tap “OK” from the popup.
Alternatively, press and hold the “Instagram” app in your app menu and tap on “Uninstall” from the popup. This will only work [IF] you are not using a lockscreen.
Reinstall the Instagram App on your Android
Once you have successfully deleted the Instagram app, restart your phone and proceed with the steps below to reinstall the Instagram app.
- Go to the “Google Play Store.”
- Type “Instagram” into the search column and tap “Instagram” from the suggestions
- Tap “Install“
- Wait for the app to download and install on your devices.
- Tap “Open” to log in to your Instagram account.
With this, you shouldn’t have a reason to ask why the Instagram app keeps crashing.
Use Instagram Web
What if the Instagram app only crashed on mobile and not on the Instagram web? Well, to confirm that the Instagram server is down, it’s important to first check Instagram on the web to see if it’s working fine or if the photos and videos sharing platform is crashed.
While you want to confirm whether Instagram is crashing on the web, you would have to carry out all the tasks you carried out on the Instagram app on your mobile such as sending a DM, uploading photos, videos, like and unlike posts and doing all sorts.
Check out for your Phone OS Update
If your phone OS update is outdated it might cause your phone app to malfunction. So, we advise that you should check for the latest OS update.
Follow the steps on your Android phone to download and install your phone OS to the latest.
- Go to your Android phone settings.
- Tap on “System.”
- Tap “Software update.”
- Tap “Check for update.”
- Tap “Download” and “Install” if there is an update available.
Now, you should open the Instagram app on your phone to see if the app keeps closing like it used to do.
To check for iOS (iPhone/iPad) updates, just follow the steps below.
- Go to your iPhone/iPad Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install if there is an update available.
- If a message appears on the screen asking to temporarily remove apps because the software needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel to terminate the OS update.
Why Does my Instagram App keep Crashing only When I Try to Sign into my Account
Your Instagram app will keep crashing if you are using an outdated app or your phone OS is due for update. For why does my instagram app keep crashing only when i try to sign into my account, you can just close the Instagram app, restart your phone, clear the app cache and sign in to see whether the Instagram app will crash again.