Why does Instagram keep crashing? Is the Instagram server down? Do you need to update the Instagram app as the app keeps crashing to fix it? These are what we will cover here in this guide.
If the app keeps closing when you opened it or says, Instagram has stopped working or app not responding, the, you need to go through this post on why Instagram keeps crashing and how to fix it.
Table of Contents
- Why Does Instagram Keep Crashing?
- How to Fix Instagram Keeps Crashing
- Restart your Smartphone
- Update the Instagram App
- Clear the Instagram App Caches
- Force Stop the Instagram App
- Instagram Server is Down
- Logout and Login to your Instagram Account
- Remove and Reinstall the Instagram App
- Use Instagram Web
- Check out for your Phone OS Update
Why Does Instagram Keep Crashing?
Crashing Instagram app could result from server down or due to outdated Instagram app on your device. When the Instagram server is down, it could lead to the crashing or the app closing unexpectedly. And when there is a new update to fix bugs and improve security, the app response time could be delayed forcing you to update to the latest version.
However, if the Instagram server isn’t down, which means that others are able to use the Instagram app, then you need to take the advanced steps that we will share with you here in this guide to help fix the Instagram app that keeps crashing on your phone.
Before we go into detail on how to fix crashing Instagram app on Android and iPhone, however, below are a few of the reasons why you can say the Instagram app has crashed.
Instagram Keeps Closing
The first premonition that you will have when the Instagram app is crashed is that the Instagram app will keep closing once you opened the app. Several users experienced this when the app is crashed.
So, if the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android keeps closing, it’s likely that the app has crashed or there is server outage.
Instagram Account Multiple Login Ain’t Working.
Another way to confirmed that the Instagram app has crashed is that you will not be able to log in multiple accounts in case you have more than a single Instagram account.
The funny part is that you may not experience the crashing of the app when you log in to the same account on different devices. But, when you want to use multiple accounts features, the app will close, indicating that the app is probably crashed.
Unable to Open Instagram Stories
If you are unable to open the Instagram stories, it could mean that the app is crashed. Other features on Instagram might work perfectly, but when it comes to opening the Inst stories, the app will keep closing.
As it is, this is an indication that the app has crashed and you need to wait until it’s fixed or follow the guide here to fix it.
Instagram DM not Working
This also affects Instagram DM. Some users are not able to send DM on Instagram why the issue didn’t affect some.
Jave error on Instagram
Some users are faced with the “A Java error” bug when the Instagram app is crashed on both Android and iPhone.
Upon all these “why Instagram keeps crashing” possible reasons, the solution or fix is at your fingertips if it’s not Instagram server down.
How to Fix Instagram Keeps Crashing
If the Instagram app keeps crashing on your Android and iPhone, just do the following to fix it provided, it’s not a server error.
- Restart your smartphone.
- Update the Instagram app.
- Clear the App caches.
- Force Stop the Instagram app.
- Check Instagram Server status (if it’s down).
- Logout and login to your Instagram account
- Remove and Reinstall the Instagram app.
- Use Instagram Web.
- Check for OS update.
Restart your Smartphone
Restarting your Android or iPhone could fix the Instagram app keep closing. This is the first measure to take when the Instagram app is misbehaving.
How to Restart Android Phone
Here is how to restart your Android phone.
- Press the power button.
- Tap on “Restart.”
Depending on your phone, you might have to press the power button longer to popup the option to restart your Android device.
How to Restart iPhone
iPhone users can follow the procedures below to restart their device in a bit to fix the Instagram crashing error.
- Press and hold either volume button simultaneously.
- Wait until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off.
However, you might have to wait for a minimum of 30 seconds before the device will turn off. After a while, power-on your iPhone and open the Instagram app to see whether the app is still closing in an unusual manner.
Update the Instagram App
To conclude that the Instagram app has crashed, you must check to see whether you are running an outdated version. To update to the latest version on your Android and iPhone, follow the steps below.
How to Update the Instagram app on Android
Here are the steps to take to update the Instagram app on your Android phone.
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap on the “Hamburger” to the top left.
- Tap on “My apps & games.”
- Tap “Instagram”
- Tap “Update”.
- Tap “Open” once the update is done.
If the Instagram crashing is caused by the app is outdated, the app will not close or crash or return Java error or other errors that you experience when the app crashes.
Note: To avoid this error in the future, you should turn on apps auto-update on Android phones.
How to Manually Update Apps on iPhone
To manually update the Instagram app on your iPhone, follow the steps below.
- Open the App Store
- Tap Today at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to see pending updates and release notes.
- Tap Update next to “Instagram.”
- Tap Update.
If you do not want to manually update apps on your iPhone, follow this direction to turn on automatic updates on all your iPhone apps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. Then turn on App Updates.
Clear the Instagram App Caches
If you do not clear your apps caches very often, this could lead to the apps misbehaving. If that is the case, you should consider clearing the Instagram app caches to see if it will solve the app keeps crashing error that you get when you open the app.
How to Clear Instagram app Caches on Android
Follow the steps below to clear the Instagram app caches to fix the Instagram app keeps closing.
- Go to your Android app (settings).
- Tap on “Apps” Apps Manager”
- Tap on “Instagram”
- Tap “Storage”
- Tap “Clear Caches”
This should restore the Instagram app to its normalcy on your Android device.
How to Clear Instagram Caches on iPhone
Here is a step by step approach to clear caches on Instagram on your iPhone.
- Launch the iPhone Settings app.
- Tap on the General tab.
- Tap the iPhone Storage tab.
- Select iPhone Storage in General.
- Tap on Instagram when all your apps load
- Tap “Delete App,”
- Confirm to “Delete” the Instagram app from your iPhone
- Redownload the Instagram and install it on your iDevice.
With this, asking why does Instagram keeps crashing should be fixed on your iPhone.
Force Stop the Instagram App
Forcing to stop the Instagram app from working on your device can fix the Instagram error that makes the app keep closing or crashing.
Force Stop Instagram on Android
Follow the procedures below to force stop the Instagram app on your Android.
- Go to your Android phone app settings.
- Tap on “Apps” >> Instagram.
- Tap “Force Stop”
- Tap “Force Stop ” on “this app may stop working properly if your force stops it” popup.
Navigate to your app menu and tap on the Instagram app to open it. If the app didn’t close, it means that the app is working fine, and it won’t crash at the moment.
Force to Stop Instagram on iPhone
To force stop the Instagram app on your iPhone, you need to open recent apps by pressing the recent screen button and swipe up the app to close the app.
This works on most iPhones, both new and old iPhones. iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, XR, Xs, Xs Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max.
Instagram Server is Down
If the Instagram server is down, it could be contributing to the reason why the app keeps crashing. How do you then checking whether the Instagram server is down?
- Go to Google.com.
- Type “Instagram server down.”
- You will see the recent update on the state of the Instagram server.
If there is no recent information regarding the state of the Instagram server, go to downdetector.com or isitdownrightnow.com and input “Instagram” to see whether the Instagram server is down.
Logout and Login to your Instagram Account
This is another solution to fix Instagram keeps crashing. Log out of the Instagram account and log back into the account could fix the Instagram keeps closing on your Android and iPhone.
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Tap on the “Profile” picture icon to the bottom right.
- Tap on the “Hamburger” to the top right.
- Tap on the “Settings” cogwheel down the screen.
- Scroll down and tap “Log Out.”
- Tap “Log out” from the Popup.
After this, restart your phone, tap on the Instagram app, enter your Instagram login username and password, tap on the login button.
Remove and Reinstall the Instagram App
If you have some data to spare, you should consider removing the app and download the latest version from the app store if the Instagram app is still crashing on your phone.
Uninstall Instagram on Android
Here are the steps to take to uninstall the Instagram app on your Android phone.
- Go to your Android phone app.
- Tap on “Apps” or Apps Manager” or Applications Manager.”
- Scroll down to “Instagram” and tap on it.
- Tap on “Uninstall”
- Tap “OK” from the popup.
Alternatively, press and hold the “Instagram” app in your app menu and tap on “Uninstall” from the popup.
Reinstall the Instagram app on your Android
Once you have successfully deleted the Instagram app, restart your phone and proceed below to reinstall the Instagram app.
- Go to the “Google Play Store.”
- Type “Instagram” into the search column and tap “Instagram” from the suggestions
- Tap “Install”
- Wait for the app to download and install on your devices.
- Tap “Open” to log in to your Instagram account.
With this, you shouldn’t have a reason to ask why the Instagram app keeps crashing.
Use Instagram Web
What if the Instagram app is only crashed on mobile and not on the Instagram web? Well, to confirm that the Instagram server is down, it’s important to first check Instagram on the web to see if it’s working fine or the photos and videos sharing platform is crashed.
While you want to confirm whether Instagram is crashing on the web, you would have to carry out all the tasks you carried out on Instagram app on your mobile such as sending a DM, uploading photos, videos, like and unlike posts and do all sort.
Check out for your Phone OS Update
Outdated OS could be one of the reasons why Instagram keeps crashing on your phone. To fix this, you need to upgrade to the latest OS on your phone.
To check for your Android OS update, follow the lead below.
- Go to your Android phone settings.
- Tap on “System.”
- Tap “Software update.”
- Tap “Check for update.”
- Tap “Download and “Install” if there is an update available.
Now, you should open the Instagram app on your phone to see if the app keeps closing like it used to do.
To check for iOS (iPhone/iPad) update, just follow the steps below.
- Go to your iPhone/iPad Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install if there is an update available.
- If a message appears on the screen asks to temporarily remove apps because the software needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel to terminate the OS update.
The Instagram app could crash for a number of reasons. At times you need to manually fix the crashing app following the steps we shared above. And at times, you only need to wait for a couple of minutes for the app to start working fine.
However, when you are experiencing the Instagram crashing problem on your phone, you should follow the steps above to fix the crashing app.