A lot of us can’t do with a remote because it saves time and bring comfort when operating our smart TV and streaming devices. And that is why we will be considering how to fix the Fire TV remote not working in this article.
Amazon Fire TV is one of our favourite smart TV at Gadgetswright. And if you check out our guides, you will discover that we have covered a lot on Fire TV and streaming devices on it.
However, before we choose to pick up Fire TV remote not working, we observed that a lot of people are keen to know how to fix their Fire TV remote when it’s not working with an old battery and new battery or with the combination of new and old batteries.
So, we are resilient that with this guide you will know the exact reason why your Firestick TV remote is not working and how you can fix it.
Also, we will discuss how to fix various Amazon Fire TV remote as well in this guide. And these Fire TV remotes include;
- Alexa Voice Remote (1st Generation)
- Alexa Voice Remote (with volume and power buttons)
- Alexa Voice Remote Lite
- Fire TV Alexa Voice Remote
- Fire TV Smart TV Remotes
- Fire TV Soundbar Remotes
Do you have an Hisense Smart TV? Check out these guide on Hisense TV problems and how to fix them.
Basic Method to Fix Fire TV Remote not Working
The basic approach you want to take when your Firestick remote is not working the basic step you want to take are listed below.
- Reduce the distance between your standing location and the receiver.
- Remove all blockage standing a barrier between the remote sensor and the Fire TV.
- Check out the batteries if they are still very much OK. If not, that might want to be your point of concentration. That is, you might need to change it and replace it with new ones.
- Check the remote sensor if it’s not dirty. If it contains some dirt then you might want to remove it before concluding that the remote is not working.
- Ensure that the Fire TV remote is not damaged or spoilt.
Ensure to check out this basic before concluding that your Fire TV remote is not responding or not working.
How to Fix Fire TV Remote not Working
We have the premonition that our Fire TV remote might not even be damaged or spoilt with the basic suggestions above.
Check and Change your Fire TV Remote Battery
How often do you change your Fire TV remote batteries? Weekly or year? Until the remote stop responding or when the batteries are damaged? Well, whichever of the question speak of you, here is how to check and change your Fire TV remote batteries.
- Remove the Fire TV batteries cover.
- Pust the battery from the head to the spring section and pull the battery to remove it. Remove the process to remove the second battery.
- Install brand new batteries into the remote. For the record, do not use a combination of new and old batteries. Ensure that both batteries you want to install on your Fire TV remote after removing the old ones are new.
- At this point, if your batteries are responsible for your TV remote not working, the TV should return back to shape and start working as expected.
Unpair and Re-pair your Fire TV Remote
When your paired remote with the Fire TV has expired the remote could be malfunctioning. Therefore, it is better to unpair the TV remote and pair it again.
Unpair Fire TV Remote
Follow the steps below to unpair your Fire TV remote if the TV remote isn’t working or responding.
- Go to Settings on your Fire TV
- Select “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices“
- Highlight and select “Amazon Fire TV Remotes”
- Press and hold menu + back + home for 15 seconds on your remote.
Once the Fire TV and remote have been unpaired, the TV return to the main menu by itself.
Re-pair Fire TV Remote
After you have successfully unpaired your Fire TV remote then you need to repair it so that the TV and remote can communicate.
- Go to your Firestick Settings
- Navigate to and select ” Controllers & Bluetooth Devices “
- Choose “Amazon Fire TV Remotes“
- Select “Add New Remote“
- Press and hold the Fire TV remote menu for at least 10 seconds.
- Select the name of the Fire TV remote and select “Confirm.”
Should the process above pair your Fire TV stick remote successfully, then you are good to go? But if your Firestick remote couldn’t be paired using the approach then you need more than just the basics to fix your Fire TV remote not working.
Are you using the Right Fire TV Remote?
Are you using the right Fire TV remote? If you changed your Fire TV remote recently, then, it could be a compatibility problem. For this, we will walk you through how to check whether the Fire TV remote is compatible with your device or not.
- Firstly, download and install the Fire TV remote app on your Android or iPhone depending on the device that you are using.
- Turn on your Fire TV by pressing the power button on your remote. And if it fails, press the power button on the Fire TV panel to turn on the TV.
- Sign in to your Amazon Fire TV account with your username and password.
- You should see the name of your Fire TV pop-up. Click on the name to select it.
- Enter the code on your TV screen into the column provided on the app.
Fire TV Remote not Working with Volume
Your Fire TV remote could be working except with the volume button. And when the remote volume button is not working it means that you won’t be able to control your Fire TV volume using the remote.
Then we need to sort it out and find out how you can fix the Fire TV remote button not working. However, we come up with the troubleshooting procedures below.
- Turn on your Fire TV using your remote.
- Navigate to “Settings” and choose “equipment control.”
- Highlight and select “Management >> TV.
- Highlight and select “Change TV.”
- Click on the “Continue” tab to proceed.
- Highlight and choose the type of TV that you possess that appear on the list.
- Turn of your Fire TV remote by pressing the power button on the remote.
This is another measure to take note of when searching for the way that can be followed to resolve the Fire TV issue with the volume button.
How to Fix Fire TV Light not Working
This problem could be fixed by just removing the Fire TV stick from the TV port and replugging it again to see whether the light will start working with the remote.
However, if this didn’t resolve the issue, you may want to repair your Fire TV remote once again.
- Press the power button on the Fire TV remote to turn on the TV.
- Press the remote “Back” and “Home” buttons together for at least 10 seconds to unpair your remote.
- To repair the remote again press and hold the “Home” button for about 10 seconds.
While doing the process above, ensure to only maintain a few distances between your standing position and the TV.
Update your Fire TV Stick Remote
If the Fire TV remote software or firmware is outdated it can cause the remote to be malfunctioning. And for this, the steps below depicts how to update your Amazon Fire TV remote to fix the Amazon Fire TV remote not working.
- Go to your Fire TV settings using the Fire TV mobile app or via the TV using your remote.
- Navigate to and select “Controllers and Bluetooth Devices.”
- Choose “Amazon Fire TV Remotes” from the list
- Click on the name of your Fire TV remote from the list.
If there is an update available, download and install the update to upgrade your Fire TV remote software to the latest version.
This can help fix your Fire TV remote working if the causes have to do with the remote software.
Update your Fire TV Firmware
I prefer to do this often even before anything goes wrong with either my Fire TV or remote. And if at this point, your not working Fire TV remote problem is yet to be solved you may want to consider updating your ire TV Firmware.
- Turn on your Fire TV
- Navigate to the settings.
- Choose “My Fire TV.”
- Scroll down to “About” and press the “OK” button.
- Check the latest update by clicking on “Check for Software Update.”
- If there is an update available the Fire TV will download it and upgrade the TV to the latest version.
Meanwhile, updating your device to the latest version does more than just clearing error codes or the device not working. It brings more features and updates existing ones.
Reset your Fire TV Remote
Another method to turn to when you want to fix your Amazon Fire TV stick remote not working is by resetting the remote. With this, the remote will be restored to the default. And if you have pre-defined keys on the remote it will be overridden and restored to the default.
However, we will discuss all Fire TV stick remotes in this scenario and discuss how to fix the Amazon Firestick TV remote not working offline.
Basic Edition Remote
Follow the steps below to reset your Fire TV basic edition remote if the remote is not working.
- Press and hold the “Home” and “Menu” buttons together.
- Press the “Home” button while still holding the menu button.
- Press the “Menu” button 9 times consecutively.
- Remove your basic remote edition batteries from the remote pack.
- Unplug your Fire TV from the power outlet and wait for about 60 seconds.
- Insert the batteries into the remote and plug the TV into the power outlet.
- Turn on the TV and press and hold the “Home” button on the “remote” for about 60 seconds.
- Wait for another 60 for the setup to be completed.
Alexa Voice Remote (1st Generation)
The Alex voice remote has no power button or volume control. So, if you have the 1sr generation, the steps below explain how to reset the remote.
- Unplug the Fire TV from the socket-outlet.
- Press and hold the remote “Left” and “Home” buttons at the same time for 12 seconds.
- Release both the left and home buttons and wait for 15 seconds.
- Remote your remote batteries.
- Plug your Fire TV into the suction box or power outlet.
- Insert your batteries into the remote.
- Press the Fire TV “Home button on the remote control.
The process above is to reset your Alexa voice remote 1st edition and re-pair the remote with the TV.
This guide is about how to fix the Fire TV remote not working. And if you are at this point, you should know all the possible methods that you can follow to unpair, repair, reset, and update your Fire TV remote to fix the TV remote not working.