Are you tired of calling the same wake word over and over again every day or you are willing to change Alexa’s Wake Word to your preferred name? Then this article is solely for you because it will show you the different steps on how you can change Alexa’s wake word without any hassle.
Your Amazon Echo is a smart speaker that has so many features that enables it to multi-task and connects you to Alexa. You can tell Alexa to play music, play audiobooks, stream podcasts, make a To-do list, set alarms, and receive news, traffic, and weather information.
However, if you are already bored of mentioning the same name Alexa all day, you might not want to use your Echo as much. This article will guide you help you change Alexa’s wake word name.
What is Amazon Alexa?
“Amazon Alexa” is the name of Amazon’s virtual assistant just like the Apple Siri and the default option. However, you just might not like the name “Alexa”, and coincidentally if you have someone in your house called “Alexa”, “Alex”, “Lexi” or similar names, you might discover that the Echo responds when you say that name too. This can be annoying, to say the least.
Your Alexa wake word is what your Amazon Alexa device is instructed to do or the voice commands it’s given before it bursts into action. Shouting the same wake word and hearing the same voice answer our requests every time can quickly make us feel like we are robots.
Amazon is also vulnerable to running adverts that mention Alexa, which also can trigger the device.
You can change Alexa’s wake word to “Computer”, “Amazon” or “Echo” depending on how quick-witted you want to be. I prefer the “computer”, but you know everyone can’t have the same taste.
The process of changing Alexa’s wake word to a new one can be completed remotely via the app and without the app, directly through your speaker, via a Fire Tablet or you could change Alexa’s wake word using a mobile device.
Amazon allows users to change Alexa’s wake word and also add a pinch of variation to the Echo devices experience compared to its competitors. Although, there are only four different wake words on offer, namely: Gadgetswright, Amazon, Computer, and Echo. Follow the steps below in this post and learn how to change Alexa’s wake word to what you desire.
How to change Alexa’s Wake Word
To change the wake word for individual Echo or Alexa devices implies that individuals can change the wake word for their Echo from the comfort of their bedroom. Follow the steps below to change Alexa’s wake work:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap the Devices tab, and then go to Echo & Alexa.
- Choose the Echo you wish to change.
- Scroll down to Wake Word and choose your preference from the list.
- In case you don’t use the Alexa app on iOS or Android devices, you can configure your Echo using the web.
- Simply navigate to echo.amazon.com using your browser and you will be able to sign in and control your device without needing a phone.
How to Change Alexa’s Wake Word Using the App
You can easily change Alexa’s wake word using the Alexa app, simply follow the steps below to achieve this:
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile phone or tablet or navigate to alexa.amazon.com if you are using a computer.
- Click on the Menu button situated at the upper left corner. This is the icon with the three horizontal lines.
- Click on “Settings” and then “Device Settings”.
- From the Menu, choose the Echo device that you want to change.
- Scroll down from the option list till you see “Wake Word”.
- Click on it, and you will be given new name options.
- Click on the new name you want to use to wake your device.
- You can either select from “Amazon”, “Computer” or “Echo”.
In case you have other Echo devices apart from Alexa, you can follow the steps above to change their names as well.
How to Change Alexa’s Wake Word Without the App
You can also change Alexa’s wake word on your Amazon Echo device without having to log into the app. Here’s how to change Alexa’s wake word using only your voice:
- Ask: “Alexa, can we change your name”? Wait for its response.
- Alexa will direct you to select a new wake word.
- You can set the new wake word as either “Amazon”, “Computer” or “Echo”.
- Finally, respond by voicing out the new name you prefer.
Kindly note that this process requires a few seconds for initialization. You can still make use of the old wake word until your device completes the updating process.
How to Change Alexa’s Wake Word Using a Fire Tablet
Alexa is not only used for Echo devices. The smart assistant is also available on Fire tablets, 4th generation, and recent models. You can change Alexa’s Wake Word to “Amazon” on the Fire Tablet by following the steps below:
- Ensure that Alexa Hands-Free is enabled on the tablet.
- From the Home Screen of your tablet, swipe down from the top.
- Click on Settings. This is the icon with the gear design.
- Choose Alexa and then choose Wake Word.
- Click on Amazon to change its name.
To change the name of your Amazon Echo, the device needs to be connected to the internet. Therefore ensure that it is connected to your Wi-Fi before making changes.
How to Change Alexa’s Wake Word Using a Mobile Device
To change the name of your Amazon Echo, you need to connect the device to the internet. Ensure your mobile device is connected to your Wi-Fi before making any changes. Follow the steps below to change Alexa’s Wake word using a mobile device:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- Click on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
- Select “Settings”.
- Click on “Device Settings”.
- Click on the Amazon device that you want to change the “wake word” for.
- Scroll down and click on “Wake Word”.
- Click on the wake word that you want to use on your device.
- You can either choose from “Alexa”, “Amazon”, “Echo”, or “Computer”.
- That’s it!
How to change Alexa’s Wake Word Using your Speaker
Changing Alexa’s wake word using your speaker is the easiest way among all the other ways aforementioned. All you need do is walk over to your Amazon speaker and say “Alexa, can you change your wake word”? and then follow the prompts to change your device’s “wake word” to one of the other options.
You should have changed your device’s “wake word” now since you have four different options, including the Alexa app. I hope this article helped you to change Alexa’s wake word to your desired new name.
Kindly feel free to share your experience in the comment section below if you were able to successfully change Alexa’s wake word.