In case you have a pair of AirPods and you want to connect it to your Roku TV, well it requires a simple step! Even though you can’t directly connect AirPods to a Roku device, you must connect your AirPods to your smartphone first. You are certainly on this page to find out how to connect AirPods to Roku. Read on!
Roku is capable of controlling any streaming device from your smartphone. It has even upgraded to the extent that you can now watch movies, TV shows, or YouTube videos without disturbing others in your home. All thanks to the Private Listening feature that has been built into the Roku app, which allows you to use AirPods while watching anything on Roku.
When connecting AirPods to your Roku, you will hardly encounter any issue even though it’s not all Roku models that have built-in Bluetooth. With Roku’s Private Listening feature, it will work within the Roku mobile app. This implies that once you have a set of headphones connected or paired to your iPhone, then you will be able to listen to whatever is being played on the Roku itself.
Before you go ahead to connect AirPods to your Roku device, you need to follow certain guidelines, so that you will get it right once and for all. Check out the subsequent section of this post to know how to connect AirPods to Roku.
What to know before you connect Airpods to Roku
Just before you connect your AirPods to Roku, you need to note certain points that will guide you when you want to connect AirPods to Roku, they are:
- The Roku mobile app must be downloaded from the App Store and installed on your smartphone.
- Make sure your iPhone or iPad is connected to the exact wireless network as your Roku device.
- Connect your AirPods or wireless earbuds to your iPhone or iPad, and launch the Roku app.
- The same process involved in connecting AirPods to Roku works for other Bluetooth headphones too.
- All you need to do is simply pair the headphones to your mobile device, and follow the subsequent instructions.
Once you can successfully connect the AirPods to your mobile device and have also connected the Roku app on your mobile device to your Roku TV or streaming device, then you have access to watch several shows or movies on your TV and hear the audio via your AirPods audibly.
How to Connect AirPods to iPhone
The first thing to do on how to connect AirPods to Roku is to connect your AirPods to your iPhone. If you don’t pair the AirPods with your iPhone, then you won’t see them displayed in the Roku app.
Since there’s a feature known as Private Listening in the Roku app, you must pair your AirPods with your iPhone. This allows you to connect AirPods to your phone and stream the audio from your Roku TV wirelessly via your iPhone.
Once you can successfully connect your AirPods to your iPhone via the Roku app, then it’s as if your AirPods are connected directly to your Roku TV.
Here’s how to connect your AirPods to your iPhone:
- Put your AirPods in the charging case and open the lid.
- Place your AirPods close to your iPhone.
- An AirPods animation will be displayed on your iPhone screen. Click on Connect.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for your specific model of AirPods.
- Once the process has been completed, you will see your AirPods and case on your iPhone screen.
- Now, your AirPods are connected to your iPhone.
- They will automatically connect with other Apple devices that are logged in to the same iCloud account.
This is all about how to connect your AirPods to your iPhone.
Recommended: How to connect AirPods to Lenovo Laptop
How to Connect AirPods to Roku
If you are ready to connect your AirPods to Roku, then you can follow the verified steps outlined below. Here’s how to connect AirPods to Roku TV or streaming device via the Roku app:
- Ensure your AirPods are connected to your iPhone or you can pair your AirPods to your Android phone.
- Download the Roku app on App Store and install it on your smartphone.
- Open the Roku app.
- Click on Remote located in the bottom toolbar.
- Choose Devices.
- Click on OK when prompted to provide Roku access to find and connect to nearby devices on your local network.
- Click on the Connect now button.
- Wait for a few seconds to allow the Roku app to discover your Roku TV or Roku streaming device, and select it from the list.
- Click on the Remote icon under the Roku device once the device connects.
- Just below the navigation buttons, click on the Headphones icon.
- Click on the OK button to enable Private Listening.
- Open the Control center, and check if your AirPods are active.
- Now, you can play any movie or show of your choice on your Roku, and you will audibly hear the audio in your AirPods.
Once you have been able to connect your Roku to your AirPods, then you will be able to hear everything that is playing via the AirPods instead of through your TV speakers.
This also implies that you will need to use your iPhone or the Roku app to control the volume.
However, in case you have the physical Roku remote at hand, then you can use it to control playback while switching to something else and having fun. This is how to connect AirPods to Roku.
How to fix Roku Won’t Connect to the Roku App
If your Roku can’t connect to the Roku App, then you won’t be able to use the Private Listening feature, and likewise, you won’t also be able to use your AirPods with Roku. Here are the most common reasons why Roku won’t connect to the Roku App:
- Your smartphone and Roku are not connected to the same wireless network. Once your router has more than one network, ensure both devices are connected to the same network.
- Ensure that your Roku device is completely updated, therefore always update it when necessary.
- If you are using an iPhone, the app needs your permission to access other devices, therefore permit it when prompted.
- The smartphone can’t be connected to a VPN.
- The network does not support AP isolation activation.
- Ensure your Roku device accepts connections. You can do this by going to Settings >> System >> Advanced system settings >> Control by mobile apps >> Network access and set it to Default or Permissive. That’s it!
If after you changed the settings as stated above and verified all that needs to be adjusted and your Roku still won’t connect, then you can try restarting the Roku device and the Roku app itself.
Restarting the Roku mobile app may provoke an update in case one is available, and the connection may work after performing the current update.
I hope this article has answered all your questions on how to connect AirPods to Roku. Let’s hear from you via the comment section below if you were able to successfully connect your AirPods to your Roku device.