Do you own an Oculus Quest 2? Then you should know how to factory reset it in case it suddenly develops a malfunction or glitch. Although, there are various reasons why you might want to perform a factory reset. This article will show you how you can factory reset Oculus Quest 2 easily and fix the issue once and for all.
Oculus Quest 2 invented and designed by a subsidiary of Facebook, renamed Meta recently provides a breathtaking and seamless virtual reality experience. However, there are moments when you may experience slow response and performance that may obstruct your virtual reality experience.
Oculus factory reset is quite straightforward but you need to know that this process will delete all your account data, games, and other content from your VR headset. Also, note that this can’t be undone. Oculus factory reset can be carried out in two ways: via your headset, or your smartphone. Once you come across such a slowdown issue in your Quest 2 headset, then it is best to factory reset Oculus Quest 2.
This post will also show you how to return your Oculus Quest 2 to its original settings by rebooting and setting it up again like a new device. A factory reset will erase all the data on the VR headset and reboot your Quest 2 to the software state as it was when it first came out of the box.
An Oculus factory reset might be needed if you encounter a major software crash or you want to delete all your game histories since you’ve played everything and you want to free up space for new interesting content. Maybe, you intend to lend your Oculus Quest 2 out to a friend or even gift it out, then you must erase all your content and account information before handing it over.
Do you want to change Oculus Accounts or the user on your device? Then, you will need to factory reset Oculus Quest 2. Also remember that a factory reset is irreversible, the only thing you need to do is to reboot and set up the device like a new one. Read on!
How to Restart Oculus Quest 2
Restarting your Oculus Quest 2, also known as soft reset can also help fix so many errors. Follow the steps below to restart Oculus Quest 2:
- Put on the Quest 2 headset and pick up one of the Quest Controller.
- Tap the power button of Quest 2 to bring up the power button.
- Click on the Restart button after hovering over the button via the Controller.
- As soon as you do this, the Quest 2 restarting message will be displayed on the screen.
Note that restarting your Oculus Quest 2 will not erase any of your device’s data. Interesting, right?
How to Factory Reset Oculus Quest 2 via Headset
Note that once you reset Oculus Quest 2 to factory state, you will delete all your headset’s data, files, and all installed applications.
You might however want to cloud save the data on your Oculus Quest 2. Here’s how you can factory reset Oculus Quest 2 using your headset, follow the steps below:
- Turn off your Quest 2 headset using the power button.
- Press the power and volume (-) button on the headset down simultaneously till the boot screen loads on your headset.
- Make use of the volume buttons on your headset to navigate the boot menu until you highlight the Factory Reset option.
- Click on the power button as you proceed to confirmation.
- Utilize the volume up and volume down buttons on your headset again to highlight the “Yes” option and tap the power button again to verify your factory reset.
How to Factory Reset Oculus Quest 2 via Smartphone
Can’t access necessary options via your headset? Well, it’s fine, you can always factory reset Oculus Quest 2 using your smartphone and not on the headset itself
Follow the easy steps below:
- Download and install the Oculus app on your smartphone (in case you are yet to do so) and ensure you are logged in.
- Ensure your Oculus Quest 2 is turned on and connected to the same WiFi network as your smartphone.
- In the bottom menu, click on ‘Devices’.
- Choose the headset connected to your phone.
- Now select ‘Advanced Settings’.
- Click on the “Factory Reset” option followed by “Reset” and tap confirm once ready.
- You can link the headset to your smartphone again.
- A factory reset will completely erase your Quest 2, and you will need to pair it again with your phone if you want the same functionality back.
- That’s it! You have successfully factory reset your Oculus quest 2.
Factory Reset Oculus Go via Headset or Smartphone
The Oculus Go does not need additional hardware since it’s a stand-alone virtual reality headset.
You are only allowed to have one account logged into your Oculus Go at a specific time. To remove the account connected to your Oculus Go, you can perform a factory reset on the VR headset and set it up again as new.
Ensure your headset is fully charged before you proceed. Follow the steps below to factory reset Oculus Go via smartphone and headset:
To perform a factory reset via your smartphone:
- Open the Oculus app on your smartphone connected to your Oculus Go headset.
- Click on Devices in the bottom menu.
- Tap the headset connected to your smartphone.
- Click on Advanced Settings.
- Click on Factory Reset and then Reset.
Note that you only perform a factory reset Oculus Go via your smartphone once you have access to the account that is connected to your Oculus Go.
To perform a factory reset via the headset:
- Switch off your Oculus Go.
- Long-press on the power and volume (-) button on your headset simultaneously till the boot screen loads on your headset.
- Using the volume buttons on your headset, highlight Factory Reset and tap the power button.
- Also, use the volume buttons again on your headset to highlight Yes and click on the power button.
- Sign in to the Oculus app with the account you will like to connect your Oculus Go headset to and set your device up from the beginning as if it’s new.
Note that once you factory reset Oculus Go, it can’t be reversed and it will delete all account information, downloaded games, and content from the device.
How to Factory Reset Oculus Quest 2 via Oculus App
Follow the steps listed below to reset Oculus Quest 2 from the Oculus app installed on your smartphone:
- Click on the Oculus app and open it first.
- Scroll down to access the bottom menu and tap on the menu option.
- Click on the Devices option to view all the devices connected to the Oculus app.
- Keep scrolling and click on the “Advanced Settings” available under the Headset settings section.
- Search for the Factory Reset option here.
- A confirmation pop-up will be displayed on the screen.
- Click the Reset button here.
Once you are done with these steps, the factory reset process will begin on your Oculus Quest 2 headset. Immediately you factory reset Oculus Quest 2, all data will be cleared, quite similar to the method stated above.
Now you have to begin setting up Quest 2 from the initial stage like you just bought a new device.
How to Reset Oculus Quest 2 Pattern
When using Oculus Quest 2, you can create a personal log-in pattern, which would be required any time you put on your VR headset to use.
However, it is possible to forget this password if it’s been a long you used the headset. When this occurs, you might not be able to reset your pattern till you reset your headset completely.
To reset or change your unlock pattern, you need to try hard to remember what your last unlock pattern was. In case you forgot your unlock pattern totally, you can remove it by following the steps below.
To reset Oculus Quest 2 pattern or change your unlock pattern via the Oculus mobile app, follow the steps below:
- Open the Oculus app and click on Devices.
- Choose your headset then swipe down to Headset Settings.
- Click on Unlock Pattern then select Reset Unlock Pattern.
- Draw your present unlock pattern, then click on Verify.
- Draw the new unlock pattern you wish to use now, then click on Create.
- Draw the same new pattern, and click on Confirm.
To reset Oculus Quest 2 or change your unlock pattern from your Quest 2, follow the steps below:
- Click on the round white icon on your right Touch controller to pull up your universal menu.
- Move around the clock on the left side of the universal menu. Once the Quick Settings appears, select it to open the Quick Settings panel.
- Click on Settings in the top right corner.
- Choose Security from the left menu, then select Reset beside the Unlock pattern.
- Draw your present unlock pattern.
- Draw the new unlock pattern you want to use, then click Continue.
- Draw the same new pattern, then tap Confirm.
- That’s it!
How to Set Up Oculus Quest 2 Again
After following the steps above, your Oculus Quest 2 should now be completely erased.
Here in this post, we included how to set up Oculus Quest 2 in case you already have the Oculus App on your smartphone (especially if you just performed the factory reset from your smartphone).
To set up the Oculus Quest 2 is simpler than performing a factory reset. Once your headset and smartphone are both connected to the same WiFi network, they will pair automatically and you can complete the rest of the setup process from either your phone or the headset.
Follow the steps below to set up Oculus Quest 2 after factory reset:
- Sign in to Oculus. You can create an account, using your Facebook, or log in to an existing account if you already have one.
- Adjust your privacy settings and click next (You can skip this step and always come back to it later).
- Add any Oculus friends.
- Add a payment method for your Oculus games (Not necessary you do this now)
- Choose Oculus Quest from the headset menu.
- Switch on your Oculus Quest by long-pressing on the power button for two seconds (The power button is located on the right side of the headset, besides the indicator light).
- Enable Bluetooth on your phone and turn on your headset
- Input the 5 digit number shown inside the headset to pair it to your smartphone. It will show up in the lower right corner.
- Take the headset off and select the Wi-Fi network you wish to connect to.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password.
- Follow the prompts from the Oculus app to pair your controllers.
- Choose your preferred language you want to play in and click continue.
- Accept safety concerns and watch the video in the Oculus app.
- Wait for a few seconds for the headset to update.
- Wear the VR headset, and use your Oculus controllers to set the boundaries of your play area.
- Complete the Oculus Tutorial and you are all set to begin another amazing and seamless virtual reality experience.
Now you should have a wiped Oculus Quest 2 headset and a new set up and ready-to-go headset. We hope that you got a useful point or two from this article which is quite easy to follow.
Kindly feel free to pen down your suggestions in the comment section below. Thanks for reading thus far.