Are you wondering how you can secure your Garage while away and even when you are home? New technology has been invented known as the Chamberlain myQ smart garage door opener. Once you’ve been able to successfully install myQ smart garage door opener in your home, you will never forget to close the garage again.
In addition to the benefits of installing myQ smart garage opener in your home, you can always have your Amazon dispatch delivered in your garage, there’s no need to worry about them being stolen. Follow through this post to the end to be able to install myQ smart garage door opener successfully.
With myQ smart garage door opener, you can monitor and control your garage door from anywhere and get real-time notifications via the myQ App. You can pre-set times/duration for your garage door to close or for the lights to turn on/off daily.
Just before you start the installation process of the myQ smart garage door opener, you need to check the strength of the WiFi signal in your garage. You can stand close to the garage door opener and check the WiFi signal bar at the top of your phone’s screen.
If the WiFi signal is less than a bar, your garage door opener won’t work. You will need to either move your WiFi router nearer to the garage or purchase a WiFi extender.
You also need the Bluetooth integration system, this makes the setup a lot easier than ever with the most widely compatible smart garage solution. Ensure that your garage door opener is also compatible with myQ. If not, you will have to buy extra accessories to make them work together.
The steps below will help you install myQ smart garage door opener properly without any hassle. Read on!
How to Install the myQ Garage Door Opener App
You need to have the myQ Garage and Access Control App first before you can install the myQ garage door opener itself. Follow the steps below to install the app:
- Navigate to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the myQ Garage and Access Control App.
- Launch and open the myQ app.
- Sign-up for an account (You will need to provide a username, password, valid email address, country, and zip code).
- Once you are done, tap “submit”.
- Check your smartphone for a message sent to your email from myQ.
- Click on the link in the email that says “Click here to complete registration” for verification.
- A link in the email will direct you back to the myQ app. In case you can’t find the email, go to the spam fold and check.
- Sign in to the myQ app with your correct details (new username and password).
- Then click on the Add Device option.
- Finally, choose myQ Smart Garage Hub from the list of available devices.
That’s it! Once you’ve been able to download the myQ Garage and Access Control app, then you can install myQ smart garage door opener.
How to Connect the myQ Hub to Your Phone
Here’s how you can connect the myQ hub to your smartphone, follow the steps below:
- Connect the hub into a temporary power outlet (You will see a blinking blue light appear at the front of the hub).
- Make use of the app to pair your phone to the hub (In case you use an iPhone, scan the hub’s serial number located behind the hub or simply input it manually by clicking on the Enter Serial Number Manually button at the bottom of your screen).
- If you are an Android user, click the hub’s name when it is displayed as a discovered device (You should see something like MyQ-123).
- Select your WiFi network and input its password. The app should show different WiFi networks close to it. Ensure you select the accurate one.
- Wait for a few seconds for the app to connect to your WiFi network. You will see the LED on the hub flashing a steady green light once it is connected to the network.
- That’s it! myQ hub has been connected to your phone, just like that!
How to Pair the Hub and the Garage Door Sensor
After connecting the myQ hub to your smartphone, you need to pair the hub and the garage door sensor. Follow the steps below:
- Remove the protective tab from the garage door sensor (This should activate the batteries).
- Examine the door sensor (You can do this by clicking on the button on the lower half of the circle, then a red light will be displayed at the top of the device).
- Once a bright light flashes at the middle of the hub, this implies the hub has detected the sensor.
- Click on the sensor’s button at the lower half of the circle again.
- You will get a beep sound once the hub and sensor have been paired or connected as a verification.
- Now, you can install the sensor on your garage door.
How to Install myQ Smart Garage Door Opener Sensor
The next thing to do is to install myQ smart garage door opener sensor for optimal use, follow the steps below:
- Select the garage door’s top panel, the exact location you want to mount the sensor (Wipe off any dust on the surface with a clean, dry cloth).
- Fix the supplied adhesive strips to the back of the sensor (Simply do this by peeling off the adhesive cover and attaching the strip to the back of the sensor gently).
- Pull out the remaining two adhesive covers from the strips (Note: do not split the strips apart).
- Position the sensor on the garage door panel firmly. Ensure the sensor is upright, that is the word “top” on the sensor should face upwards, to enable you to read the myQ logo accurately.
How to Pair the Garage Door Opener With the myQ Smart Garage Hub
The next step is to pair the garage door opener with the myQ smart garage hub, follow the steps below to achieve this:
- Close your garage doors and remove any obstructions at the entrance (Your garage door can be opened or closed during the final pairing. Be sure that the garage door opener is plugged in).
- Choose the brand of your garage door opener in the myQ app (The hub automatically begins searching for your door opener).
- You can get on a ladder to have access to the garage door opener on the ceiling of your garage.
- Locate the learn/program button on your garage door opener (The button could be on the back, side, or bottom of the unit depending on the type of your garage door).
- Once you locate it, tap “found it” on the app (The app might also direct you to choose the color of your learn button, which could be any of these colors; yellow, purple, orange, green, or red).
- Click on the learn button on the door opener till you see the LED next to the button light up. Don’t long-press the learn button for a long time. Or else, you might need to unpair your present garage door remote controls.
- Wait for the hub for a few minutes to locate the garage door opener. The app might need different attempts to do this.
- Once the process is successful, a checkmark will be displayed in the app, and you will be asked to tap “next”.
- Finally, create a name for your garage door opener (It could be any name you can never forget).
How to Mount myQ Hub Near the Garage Door Opener
Finally, the last stage of the installation process is mounting the myQ hub near the garage door opener, follow the steps below:
- Ensure your tools are complete and ready (You will need the following tools; pencil/marker, a Philips screwdriver, a 5/32 drill bit and drill, a stepladder, safety goggles, bracket, screws, and wall anchors which are provided with the hub).
- Select an appropriate spot on the ceiling 5 to 6 feet from the garage door opener.
- Ensure to select a spot where you can easily see the flashing light of the hub from the entrance of your garage (This should also be near a power outlet).
- Mark the ceiling using the holes in the mounting bracket as a guide, ensure that the bracket’s open ends are facing the ceiling.
- Drill holes into the marked spots done earlier.
- Push in the anchors, ensuring they are driven against the ceiling.
- Screw the mounting bracket into place tightly.
- Slide the garage hub onto the bracket till it clicks into place firmly.
- Connect the power cord into the hub (In case your cord is too long, you can wrap the excess just round the hub).
- Connect the power cord into a power socket (Ensure that the hub’s green LED light turns on).
- Finally, click on the garage icon on the app to open and close the garage door.
- That’s it! You have successfully been able to install myQ smart garage door opener in your home.
This is all you need to install myQ smart garage door opener. The whole installation process takes about half an hour. Let’s know in the comment section below if you were able to successfully install myQ smart garage door opener all by yourself. Thanks for reading thus far.