If you are having issues with your firestick; and you have tried all means to resolve the issue with no result; you can try the reset option to clear or post-configuration on the device. So, here in this article, we will consider how to reset a firestick remote.
In some cases, if your Firestick remote is wrong paired it will malfunction and won’t work as expect. However, a simple troubleshooting can resolve it. But, if you don’t know what to do, it could be more than what we are thinking. So, here, you will learn all possible takes you can consider to learn how to reset your Firestick remote including how you can reset your Firestick without a remote.
The Amazon Firestick is one of the popular streaming services as it is affordable, convenient, and of excellent quality to convert your non-smart TV to a smart TV with just a plug-and-play stick [if you prefer to use the Fire stick].
While the beauty of the device lies on its functionality; it can frustrate you if it won’t control your device. So, with this guide, you will find a straight answer to how do you reset a Firestick remote.
If you have an issue pairing your Firestick remote you can check out this our guide on all to successfully pair a Firestick remote to your TV and use it efficiently.
How do You Reset a Firestick Remote
Before we consider how to reset a Firestick remote here are some of the reasons why you may be prompted to factory reset your Firestick to the default or factory settings.
- You are experiencing glitches when using your Firestick.
- Your Firestick is not connecting to any Wi-Fi network.
- The Firestick is performing slowly.
- Some of the functions on the Firestick are not working optimally.
If you are experiencing any of these issues and have tried other troubleshooting methods with no success, the best solution will be to reset the Firestick.
It’s worth nothing that when you reset a firestick, it will revert to its factory state, and you will lose all the customized settings and data on the firestick.
How to Reset a Firestick Remote
You should only reset a Firestick when you have tried other troubleshooting methods with no success, as resetting a firestick will delete the data on the firestick.
You can use two methods to reset a firestick, and we will discuss both methods below.
Be following the steps below you will learn how to reset a Firestick remote control.
- Press the home button of your Firestick remote.
- Click on the Settings option.
- Click on My Fire TV, which is usually labelled as a system or device in the older Firestick version.
- Select restore to factory default
- Input your PIN if prompted.
- Click on “Reset” to restore your Firestick to the default settings.
- Ensure your Firestick is turned on and connected.
- Simultaneously press the play/pause and the select button for about 10 to 20 seconds.
A message will appear on your screen, and your Fire TV stick will automatically reset itself.
You can also check out How To Connect Firestick Remote To TV.
How to Reset a Firestick Without a Remote
It’s likely impossible to reset a Firestick without a remote control. However, if you have an external keyboard connected to your TV you can remotely control the Firestick with the aid of the remote.
However, to do this you will either use:
- A Bluetooth keyboard
- A Mouse keyboard.
By follow the steps below you will learn how to reset a Firestick without a remote. You will need an external keyboard.
- Plug the external keyboard USB device into the USB port on your Firestick and it should be recognized automatically.
- Use the keyboard or mouse to navigate through the Firestick menus.
- Open the Firestick menu >>“Settings.”
- Choose “My Fire TV.”
- Select “Reset to Factory Defaults.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the reset process.
You should be able to control your Firestick and reset it with your external keyboard whether the keyboard is Bluetooth-enabled or a mouse keyboard.
What Happens When you Reset a Firestick to Factory Settings
When you reset your firestick to its default factory settings, all data on it, including your downloaded contents and in-app purchases, will be deleted.
Due to this reason, you should only reset your firestick when you have tried other troubleshooting methods and have been unsuccessful in resolving the issue with your firestick.
Firestick Troubleshooting Methods
Suppose you’d prefer not to reset a firestick because you do not want to lose your data, or you’d like to follow other procedures to resolve the issue with the firestick. In that case, you can learn some basic troubleshooting methods in this article section.
Power Cycle your Firestick
If you are having issues with your firestick, you should unplug it from its power source, which is the process known as power cycling.
You can power cycle your firestick by turning it off and unplugging it for about 10 to 20 seconds.
After the time frame has elapsed, you should plug back the firestick and turn it on.
This process will restart your firestick and help resolve any glitches you might be having with your firestick.
Clear the Apps Cache
If the issue with the firestick has to do with the Apps crashing unexpectedly, you should be able to resolve the issue by clearing your apps cache.
You can clear the cache of the app by following the steps below.
- Turn on your firestick and open the settings menu.
- Then click on applications and select the manage installed applications option.
- Then select the app you want to clear the cache and click clear cache.
You can repeat the steps for all of the apps on your firestick, which should help resolve the issue of your app crashing unexpectedly.
How to Reset a Firestick Remote
If the remote of your firestick is not working, you can reset it by following the instructions below.
- Disconnect your fire TV from its power source for about 60 seconds.
- Then simultaneously press the left, menu, and back buttons for approximately 12 seconds before releasing.
- Then remove the batteries from the remote and plug back the fire TV.
- Then put the batteries back in the remote and press the power button for about 10 seconds or until the indicator light flashes blue.
Once the Led light starts showing blue, it implies that the remote has paired successfully and you have been able to reset your Firestick remote.
How to Hard Reset a Firestick
You can hard reset your firestick to resolve issues with the firestick by following the instructions below.
- Press the home button on your Fire TV stick remote and select the settings menu.
- Then select my fire TV, displayed as a system or device on previous firestick versions.
- Then choose the restore to factory default option and input your pin if requested.
- Then select reset to restore your firestick to its factory settings.
Note that when you reset your firestick, you will lose the data on the firestick, including downloaded content and in-app purchases.
Does Factory Reset Delete Everything on Firestick
Yes, factory resetting your firestick will delete your personal preference, downloaded content, in-app purchases, and every other data on the firestick.
The firestick will be restored to its factory settings, and you’d need to set up the firestick after a reset.
How to Restart your Firestick
If you are having issues with your firestick, a quick restart of the device might solve the problem.
You can restart your firestick by following the instructions below.
- Switch on your firestick.
- Then press the Play/Pause and Select buttons in the navigation centre of your Firestick remote for approximately 10 to 20 seconds.
- A message will appear on your screen, and your Firestick will automatically restart.
You can then use your firestick to confirm that the restart has resolved the issue with the firestick.
How to Resolve Amazon Firestick not Working
If you have tried different approaches and your Amazon firestick is still not working, the best solution will be to reset the firestick.
You can reset your Amazon firestick by following the steps below.
- Turn on your firestick, press the home button on the firestick remote and go to the settings menu.
- Then select my fire TV, which might appear as a system or device in older firesticks.
- Then click on the restore to factory default option and enter your pin.
- Then select reset to factory reset the firestick.
After resetting the firestick, you can use the firestick to confirm that the firestick is now working optimally.
This article has explained how you can reset a firestick. We also looked at troubleshooting methods you can use to resolve issues with the firestick and how to restart a firestick.