It would be very frustrating if a pop-up window keeps displaying on your device each time you visit a website. Some websites use pop-up windows to display essential content since they depend on ads to generate income for their site.
While other websites purposely display pop-ups to carry out malicious attacks to steal sensitive information from those who click the pop-up window. For this, you also need to outsmart them by protecting your device with a popup blocker.
You can turn on your iPad pop up blocker to avoid these pop up from displaying ads and to stay safe from attacks.
Likewise, you can turn off your iPad pop up blocker if you find pop-ups helpful since various website use pop-ups to get users to subscribe to helpful content through newsletters or display helpful ads.
In this article, we would show you different steps about how you can turn on and turn off the iPad pop-up blocker.
How to Control iPad Pop up Blocker
You have a choice to either block the popup blocker on your iPad or let it slide if you know what you are doing. Even when you know what you are doing you must bank on the security level of your iPad so that any malicious attack won’t find a means to enter your iPad.
With that, you need to take some precautionary measures in place before you even think of whether to turn off or turn on the pop-up blocker on your iPad.
Update Your Software
Having the latest software on your iPad always help to protect against security threats. When new software is released they always include security updates and it may include improvements that help to control pop-ups.
Always install the latest software updates for all of your Apple products. Many software releases have important security updates and may include improvements that help control pop-ups.
The safest way to download apps for your Mac is from the App Store. If you need software that isn’t available from the App Store, get it directly from the developer or another reliable source, rather than through an ad or link.
Check Safari Settings
You can configure Safari settings in the websites tab to allow or block pop-ups. When pop-ups are blocked on Safari, the websites you visit would no longer be able to display pop-ups in your browser window.
To block pop-ups in Safari, follow these steps:
- On your iPad go to Settings.
- Tap Safari.
- Toggle on the “Block pop-ups” button.
Check For Adware Installed on Your iPad
If you keep seeing pop-ups on your iPad that won’t go away, you may have mistakenly downloaded and installed them on your device. Adware is often embedded in software you download from third-party download websites.
Here are some steps to help you get rid of malware or adware on your iPad:
- Update your iOS to the latest software version. The latest released software often includes security updates. iOS has an in-built tool that helped to remove malware when you restart your iPad.
- Check your app folder to see if you have any unwanted apps. Make sure you uninstall unnecessary apps from your iPad.
- Check for unnecessary extension tabs that you may have installed on your Safari browser.
- Install third-party adware or malware remover such as Norton 360, Malware bytes adware removal, etc.
How do I Turn On Pop-up Blocker on my iPad?
You can turn on the pop-up blocker on your iPad if you find helpful content such as letting you sign up for a newsletter or displaying discount promos as ads through pop-ups. However, if the content is not help you can just turn it off.
How to Turn off the pop-up blocker on your iPad:
The steps below reveal the steps to take to turn off pop-up blocker on your iPad.
- Go to Settings on your iPad.
- Locate and click Safari.
- Toggle the “Block Pop-ups” button to the Off position.
How To Turn Off Pop-up Blocker On iPad Chrome
Below is how to turn off the Pop-up blocker on iPad for Chrome:
- Open the Chrome web browser on your iPad.
- Tap more or the three-dot below.
- Tap settings.
- Tap Content Settings.
- Toggle off the“Block Pop-ups” button.
How to Allow Pop-ups on iPad Chrome
Not all pop-ups are ads or spam. Some legitimate websites display web content in pop-up windows.
Below are some steps if you would like to turn on pop-ups:
- Open the Chrome browser on your iPad.
- Click more or the three dots.
- Click settings.
- Click Content settings.
- Toggle off the “Block Pop-ups” button to allow pop-ups.
Follow these steps to allow pop-ups for a specific site:
- Open chrome but is ware on your iPad.
- Visit a page where pop-ups get blocked.*
- Tap Always show at the bottom under “pop-ups blocked”.
Safari Pop-up Blocker Not Working
If after you turn on the pop-up blocker on your browser and your device won’t stop displaying unwanted pop-ups.
Delete History, Cache, and Cookies
- Go to settings >Safari.
- Click clear history, cookies, and browsing data.
- To clear your history and cookies, go to Settings > Safari, and tap Clear History and Website Data.
If you would like to clear cookies and keep history:
- Navigate to Settings > Safari >Advanced > Website Data
- Click Remove all website data.
Use Content Blockers
You can download a third-party content-blocking app and extension that allows Safari to block contents such as pop-ups, images, cookies, etc.
To get a content blocker:
- Download a content-blocking app from the App Store on your iPad.
- Click Settings > Safari > Extensions.
- Click to turn on the listed contents to block.
How to Enable Pop-ups on Safari iPad
Some websites carry out actions that are helpful by displaying pop-ups such as signing up for a newsletter. You can tell safari to allow pop up if you find them helpful. You can unblock pop up for safari the same way you block them.
Here is how to enable pop us on Safari using your iPad:
- Go to settings on your iPad.
- Locate Safari.
- Toggle the “Block Pop-ups” button to its off position.
You will now begin to get pop-ups on safari. This can make your pop-up load slowly.