If you want to learn how to unpair Apple Watch from iPhone you need to take your time to go through this article without skipping a step.
There’s no doubt that the Apple watch is one of the best if not the best-advanced smartwatches you can get in the market today. However, there are times when new models are released and you choose to upgrade, you need to unpair your previous Apple watch from the paired iPhone to be able to pair your new Apple Watch.
In that retrospect, if you don’t know how to unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone you will be able to use the new Apple Watch with your phone, so, in this guide, we will consider how to unpair Apple Watch from iPhone to be able to link your other Watch since you cannot link two different Apple Watches to a single iPhone
Follow the guide to unpair your Apple Watch if you have the iPhone paired to it. Note that this process erases all of the data and settings on your Apple Watch and removes the Activation Lock. Although, you can reset your Apple Watch even without the paired iPhone, however, the Activation Lock will not be erased which means that you will be prompted to type your Apple ID and password to be able to pair your Apple Watch when next you want to do that.
How to Unpair Apple Watch from iPhone
How.to unpair Apple Watch from iPhone is a bit different from how to reset an Apple Watch due to the absence of the “to-tap” button to unpair straight unlike the Apple Crown button that can be reset to reset your Apple Watch without a password and phone. Well, by following the step below you will learn steps to take about how to unpair Apple Watch from old iPhone.
Before you begin to unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone both devices must be kept close to facilitate your iPhone to back up your Apple Watch.
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch the Watch App.
- Select your Apple Watch by tapping on “All Watches” in the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap the “i” (info) button next to your Apple Watch’s name.
- Tap the “Unpair Apple Watch” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose “Unpair (Your Name) Apple Watch”.
- If you have a GPS + Cellular model, you will be asked whether you want to keep or cancel your cell plan.
- Keep the mobile plan if you want to pair an Apple Watch with your iPhone again. Otherwise, uninstall the data plan.
- Enter your Apple ID password and click on the Unpair button at the upper right to disable the Activation Lock.
- Now, the Apple Watch will begin backing up your iPhone’s most recent data before unpairing and removing all active Bluetooth pairings.
- Finally, the Apple Watch is unpaired and reset to factory settings.
During the unpairing process your Apple Watch data will be backed up to your iPhone begin the main process is begin. This helps you to restore your backup when your choose to pair your Apple Watch to the new device or restore the backup to your new Apple Watch if you are considering getting a new watch.
How to Unpair Apple Watch from iPhone without Phone
In situations when you don’t have the paired iPhone or have misplaced it, unpairing the Apple Watch via the Watch App makes the most sense because so much data needs to be saved up before unpairing.
You can then unpair your Apple Watch directly from the device if necessary. But all of the watch’s data will be permanently erased. So, here, we will take a look at how to unpair Apple Watch from iPhone without phone to be surreal that your data are kept saved still.
- Open the Apple Watch Settings app.
- Navigate to and select General settings.
- Scroll down until you see the Reset option and tap on it.
- Now, tap the Erase All Contents and Settings button and, if necessary, enter the Passcode.
- If you have a GPS + Cellular model, you will be asked whether you want to keep or cancel your plan.
- Select your preferred choice by tapping it.
- The Apple Watch will now begin the process of unpairing and data restoration.
How to Remove Activation Lock without Previous Owner
If you do not want to put the next owner through a thin pin then you’d need to remove the activation lock because there is no sure way on how to remove activation lock without previous owner without using a third-party service that will incur some charges. So, it’s advisable to remove the activation lock before you decided to pass your Apple Watch to a new owner.
To disable the Activation Lock on your Apple Watch kindly follow the steps below
- Go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click the Find My icon and, if prompted, enter your Apple ID Password.
- Click on All Devices and then select your Apple Watch from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the information button next to the device.
- Select Remove Apple Watch to remove the Activation Lock and pair it with a new phone.
That’s it! The Apple Watch typically requires 2 to 10 minutes to unpair, depending on the size of the backup.
A new Apple Watch can be restored using the backup. The Start Pairing notice will appear once your Apple Watch has finished unpairing and you can now re-configure your Apple Watch or turn it off if you are planning to sell or give it away.
How.to Unpair Apple Watch from iPhone
If you follow the above instructions but selected Erase Apple Watch rather than Remove Apple Watch, you can erase your watch’s data and reset it to factory settings even if you don’t have access to your iPhone.
But if you have access to your Apple Watch you can still erase the data without the paired phone. However, the downside is that you won’t be able to get rid of the Activation Lock and that won’t be much of a problem since you can still pair it with the same phone if you are not planning to give it out or make money from it.
- Tap Settings >> General >> Reset >> Erase All Content and Settings on your Apple Watch.
- Enter your password here.
- If you have a cellular model, you must decide whether to keep or cancel your cellular plan (as previously stated).
- To return your watch to factory settings, select Erase All.
You need to understand the rudiment behind unpairing and resetting your Apple Watch and the effect of the “Activation Lock” when you unpair or reset your watch yet you plan to give it out or sell. So, with this guide, you should be familiar with how to unpair Apple watch from iPhone and how to remove the Activation Lock before passing it to the new owner otherwise the new owner will not be able to remove the previous owner.