Smart TVs, which function as a computer, frequently require software updates. These software updates can be for many reasons, including fixing bugs, adding new functionality, and improving available features for a better experience while using the smart TV. If your smart TV brand is LG, this article will explain how to update LG smart TV firmware manually and automatically.
How to Update LG Smart TV Firmware Automatically
To update your LG Smart TV automatically, the primary requirement is that your LG smart TV has a working internet connection, and you will be able to update your LG smart TV if it runs on either a WebOS or Android OS. If you have that covered, follow the steps listed below, and you will be able to update your LG smart TV firmware successfully.
How To Update LG Smart TV Firmware running on a WebOS
If your LG smart TV is running on a WebOS, after making sure you are connected to the internet, follow the steps given below to update your LG Smart TV Firmware
- Navigate to the Home screen by pressing the Home button on your remote
- Then select Settings and choose All Settings
- Now, select General and choose About this TV
- Navigate to Check for Update and tick the button beside allow automatic update
- If there is a new update available, follow the prompts that will show on your screen.
If you have followed each of these steps, it means you have successfully updated your LG Smart TV firmware.
How to Update LG Smart TV Firmware running on an Netcast
If your LG smart TV OS is a Netcast version, after ensuring you have a good internet connection on your TV, follow the steps listed below to update your LG smart TV Firmware.
- Press the Home button on your remote
- Then go to the settings menu.
- Scroll to the support, which is the last option, and press it on the menu.
- Then go to the support menu and select software update.
- Now click on software update and check out the software update version.
- If there is a new update available for download, follow the prompts showing on your screen to download and install the update.
After following the steps, you can now use your TV, which will now be running on the latest Firmware as usual.
How to Update LG Smart TV Firmware Manually
To update your LG Smart TV firmware manually, you need a PC and a USB Flash drive of about 8GB. If you have everything in place, follow the steps listed below to manually update your Firmware.
- Open your PC browser and go to http://www.lg.com/us/support/
- Enter your LG Smart TV model number in the box provided.
- Select your model number from the drop down list that appears beneath the search button.
- Then to get the Firmware current version, click on the software file
- Download the Firmware on your computer
- Open your Download folder or any folder you downloaded the file
- Right click on the zip file’s name and choose extract all from the menu
- When the extraction dialog opens, leave all the default settings and click extract.
- In your USB drive, create a folder with the name LG_DTV (you must use this name without any form of modification, as your TV will only search for this file when looking for updates)
- Place the unzipped file into the LG_DTV folder; note that the file type must be EPK.
- Then remove your USB drive from the computer
- Now, turn on your TV and insert the USB drive.
- Follow the prompts that will show on your screen.
- A progress bar will show on your screen once installation starts.
- Once the update has been completed, your TV will restart automatically.
- After this, remove the USB drive from your TV.
Note that LG has specific Firmware for each smart TV model, so you have to be sure you have the particular Firmware for your model and make sure the folder in your USB drive is set up correctly.
If you have followed the steps listed above, you have successfully updated your LG smart TV Firmware.
While trying to update your Firmware, you might come across some situations that require some form of troubleshooting; the common issues and their solutions are listed below
No Update Found
While updating your LG smart TV Firmware, getting this message means the TV does not have any new updates; you can check back frequently until there is a new update.
The Update is stuck/frozen.
This message might occur due to poor internet connection or the large file size of the update; as long as the percentage of the download increases, you are good to go.
If the percentage is not increasing, connect to a better internet connection within a minimal range from the TV.
If it is updating, do not unplug your TV.
If any of these issues occur and you cannot find a solution, contact the LG Support team.
To learn out to update apps on LG smart TV, check out this article.