One sure way to get the best out of your Orbi router is to regularly update your Orbi RBK40 firmware.
Firmware Updates are to a device what blood is to the human body. They just have a way of making things better and fixing things up. So, you must update your Orbi RBK40 firmware because the updates are necessary to resolve bugs, improve the functionality of your WiFi system and also enjoy the new features that come with the updates.
If this sounds like what will interest you, whether you are planning to Update Orbi RBK40 firmware soon or not, then, buckle up and join me on this trip. You will be better at it.
An Orbi WiFi System is designed such that it can provide a single WiFi network for your entire home. It is powered by a tri-band WiFi that includes a dedicated 1.7Gbps 5GHz band solely for extending Internet speeds to Orbi satellites. This enables the other two WiFi bands to be dedicated to all connected devices across an entire home.
uses additional satellite devices to spread a speedy Wi-Fi signal throughout your whole house.
With that, it gives you the luxury of convenience and never having to carry your WiFi system everywhere you go.
This upgrade is particularly great if you’re sick of dealing with dead zones where you can’t get a fast enough connection. The Orbi WiFi system eliminates that worry, such that you will never have to worry about that anymore because, with its multiple nodes, you can simply connect to the Wi-Fi node closest to you.
What we mean is, if you’re in the kitchen, you can connect to the closest Wi-Fi node. If you’re in the backyard, you can connect to the closest Wi-Fi node.
Having established background of what the Orbi RBK40 is, let’s get right into how you can update it. I think it is important that we know that Orbi RBK40 firmware can be updated either manually or automatically and this article will be sure to cover both procedures.
How To Update Orbi RBK40 Firmware (Manually)
First of all, you need to understand that firmware upgrades usually have nothing to do with the hardware of the device, which is why firmware is described as a system, put in place to establish a “Firm” link between Hardware and Software. Armed with this understanding, this is how to update your Orbi RBK40 firmware;
- Download the firmware for your Orbi satellite from the NETGEAR Download Center and save it to your desktop.
- Click the Manual Update tab.
- From there, the Firmware Update page pops up.
- Select the check box next to your satellite’s model name, in this RBK40.
- Click the Update button.
- The Orbi satellite Firmware Update window opens.
- If the browser asks you for the admin password, enter the same password you entered for the Orbi router.
- Click the BROWSE button, then locate and select the file that ends in .img or .chk on your desktop.
- Click the UPLOAD button to upload the firmware file.
- That process should take a few minutes to complete.
- After your Orbi satellite finishes updating, select Status and make sure that the firmware version on the Status page matches the firmware version on the NETGEAR Support page.
- Once that is done, you have been able to successfully update your RBK40 firmware.
How To Update Orbi RBK40 Firmware (Automatically)
You can also update your Orbi RBK40 firmware automatically, by using the ‘Auto-update’ feature available in the Orbi.
Once you enable the auto-update. It automatically beeps you whenever a new version of firmware is available.
So, to automatically update your Orbi RBK40 firmware, you need to;
- Log in using your administrator password.
- Select Advanced > Security > Schedule.
- Make sure that your time zone is set correctly.
- This is because your automatic update will take place based on the setting of the timezone.
NOTE: Automatic firmware updates are best done between 1 am and 4 am as those are more convenient times, to update the firmware.
This is because you could be using your Wi-Fi system during the daytime and then get disrupted because of updates. So you want to set your automatic update time between 1 am to 4 am and provided a new update is available, it automatically begins to download once the time chimes in.
How To Fix Orbi RBK40 Not Updating.
If you experience any difficulties at the point of trying to update your Orbi RBK40, these are some things you need to do to get the process going as should.
- Start by disconnecting the satellite from the power supply. Simply get that done by, turning off the power socket.
- Now disconnect the power cable and other network cables from it.
- Wait for some minutes.
- Connect the satellite again to the power outlet and turn it on.
- If you have powered off from the power switch at the back, you want to power it on again.
- From there, you log in to the Orbi satellite page and check if the router is working or not.
- Place the satellite close to the router: You need to make sure that the router and the satellite are placed closed to each other. This will help in receiving the proper signal strength on the satellite and you can perform the update easily.
- Check the wireless connectivity; Of course, this could be a legit reason why the automatic update is not happening. So, you can check the current status of your network online by entering the speed test link in the web browser.
- NOTE: If you are getting improper or less speed of the internet at home, then restart all the network devices and perform the speed test again.
There are many models of the Orbi WiFi system, ranging from CBR 40, CBR 43, LBK 1220 enough that one can even lose count but for a successful update on Orbi RBK40 firmware, simply follow the steps as direct as we have explained.
Once you can follow so and abide through the process Then, you will have your Orbi RBK40 updated and ready to launch.