This article will explain the necessary steps to take to update Orbi router firmware, so if you have been confused about the steps to take to update your Orbi router firmware, you are in the right place. We will show you all you need to do to download and install the latest Orbi router firmware step by step.
To update Orbi router firmware, there are two different approaches we will be considering, which are either to download and install the firmware automatically or manually.
How to update Orbi Router Firmware Automatically
Updating the Orbi router firmware automatically, is generally considered the most straightforward approach, as it requires little to no technical experience or expertise.
It only requires that you have the Orbi app on your mobile phone, and the app is easily accessible as it is available on both the Google play store and Apple app store.
If you already have the app installed on your phone, follow the steps listed below to update your Orbi router firmware.
- Connect your mobile phone to your Orbi router WiFi network
- Launch the Orbi app and enter your Router admin details
- Tap sign in to log into the app
- Once the dashboard is showing on your device screen, locate the menu icon in the top left corner of the dashboard.
- Tap the menu icon and select settings, then select router settings
- Scroll down the router settings menu and click the check for updates option
- If you see the update firmware option instead of the check for updates option, it means there is a new firmware available for your Orbi, and you are required to update.
- Click the update firmware option, and follow the set of instructions that will show on your screen to update your Orbi router firmware.
If you have successfully followed the steps listed above, you have updated your Orbi router firmware.
How to Update Orbi Router Firmware Manually
To update Orbi router firmware manually, you will be using the web interface as against the app. If, for some reason, you are unable to use the app or you prefer to use the web interface, following the steps below will give you the needed insight on how to update Orbi router firmware manually.
- Connect either your computer or mobile device to your Orbi router
- Launch a web browser from your connected computer or mobile device
- Download the latest Orbi router firmware update from the official Netgear download center. Your download should be for both the Orbi router and the satellite.
- After completing the download, save the latest Orbi router firmware update version on your computer or mobile device.
- On your web browser, open a new tab and go to orbilogin.com.
- You will be required to input your login details. Note that your login details are the exact details you use to access your Orbi router.
- Once the web dashboard is accessible on your screen, navigate to advanced settings.
- You will see the firmware update option under the administration menu.
- Click the firmware update button, and it will take you to the firmware update page.
- Here, you will be required to upload the previously downloaded file to update your Orbi router firmware.
- You should upload the firmware on your satellite before uploading it on your router.
- After you have uploaded the necessary files, click the update button.
- This process will require a couple of minutes, so you are advised to exercise patience.
- Once the update is completed, click on the status to confirm that the firmware version on the status page corresponds with the firmware version on the Netgear support page.
Make sure you download the Orbi firmware update that corresponds with the model number of your Orbi because updating the wrong firmware will make your Orbi router stop working.
If you have followed all of these steps, you have successfully updated your Orbi router firmware.
How to check the Firmware Version of your Orbi Router
Follow the simple steps listed below to check the firmware version your Orbi router is currently running on.
- Connect either your mobile device or computer to your Orbi router
- From the connected computer or mobile device, open your web browser.
- Navigate to http://orbilogin.com.
- Then enter your login details, and the login details are case sensitive, so be sure not to mix it up.
- When you have successfully logged in, go to the Advanced menu.
- Then navigate to the Administration Menu.
- Then click on Firmware update and wait for the page to display.
- Then you can check what Firmware version your Orbi router and satellite are currently running.
If you want to change your Orbi router password, check this article.
Orbi Router Firmware Update Failed?
Suppose you have unsuccessfully tried to update your Orbi router firmware. In that case, the failure can be caused by a couple of reasons:
- Slow or unstable internet connection
- Processes running in the background
- Ad-blocking software
To resolve these issues, follow the steps below.
- Make sure your internet connection is fast and stable.
- Quit every process running in the background while the update is ongoing.
- Temporarily disable the ad-blocking software on your device.
If you follow all of these steps, you will update your Orbit router firmware successfully.