It is important to update Vizio smart TV firmware as often as new firmware is available for download. The firmware of a Smart TV like the Vizio smart TV is a software program in the memory of the smart TV to bring in new features and foster security or enhance the device for better performances.
Firmware updates are released periodically for a wide range of reasons, such as bug fixing, improving the TV functionality, and sometimes adding new features for a better TV experience.
It is, therefore, necessary that, as a user, you update as often as a new update is available so that you can enjoy the benefits included in the latest version for a more seamless experience using your Vizio smart TV.
If you have been wondering how to update your Vizio smart TV, then this article is for you, as we will be exploring the methods that can be used to update Vizio smart TV Firmware.
How to Automatically Update Vizio Smart TV
Updating your smart TV automatically is a very straightforward process, as it requires only a functional internet connection and a couple of minutes to download and install.
If you want to automatically update your Vizio smart TV, then follow the steps listed below.
- Turn on your Vizio smart TV.
- Connect your TV to a Wifi network. To do this, go to the menu section on your TV home screen, navigate to the network option, then click on your Wifi name.
- Then back to the main menu navigate to the system menu.
- Then select check updates from the menu.
- After selecting check updates, a prompt asking you to confirm your request will show on the screen.
- After you have confirmed, the system will begin downloading the latest firmware version.
- An onscreen message will show you the current firmware version your smart Tv is running and the new firmware version you are downloading.
- Do not turn off your Vizio smart TV while the TV is updating.
- Once the update has been downloaded, your Vizio smart TV will start installing the firmware, and an onscreen prompt will show the installation progress.
- After a successful installation, your Vizio smart TV will automatically restart, and you will get an onscreen message informing you that you have successfully updated your Vizio smart TV firmware.
How to Manually Update Vizio Smart TV Firmware
To manually update Vizio smart TV firmware, it is required that you have a USB drive of at least 2GB, is FAT formatted, and has no files on it.
Follow the steps below to update your Vizio smart TV if you already have that in place.
- Turn on your computer and connect the USB drive to the TV USB port.
- Go to the Vizio web page and navigate to the support menu
- A drop down menu will show on your screen.
- Click on the download icon.
- Input your model number into the search by model box available.
- Submit, and you will be taken to a download page for that particular Vizio smart TV.
- Then click on the download firmware button, automatically beginning the download to your computer.
- Save the downloaded file to the USB drive attached to your computer.
- Then rename the file to fwsu.img.
- Remove the USB drive from your computer.
- Power off your TV and connect the USB flash drive to your Vizio smart TV USB port.
- Then connect your TV back to the power source, and turn it on.
- A red or blue indicator bar will appear at the bottom of your screen, informing you that an update is ongoing.
- A banner will appear at the top of the screen, indicating that a new firmware is updating.
- The TV will reboot itself.
- A progress bar will appear when the TV turns on, indicating update progress.
- When the update has been installed successfully, the Vizio smart TV will reboot again.
- Unplug your USB drive from the Vizio USB port.
It is important to note that while downloading, the firmware you download has to correspond with your TV model version to avoid unexpected issues. You have successfully updated Vizio firmware if you have followed all of the steps listed above.
How to Check the Current Version of your Vizio Smart TV
Follow the steps listed below to check the current firmware version your Vizio smart TV is using and all other information you might need.
- Turn on your Vizio smart TV.
- From the home screen, navigate to the settings menu.
- In the settings menu, select the system information option.
- It would take you to the system information display page, where you will get all of the details, such as firmware version, serial number, and model name.
It is vital that each time a new firmware update comes along, you update your Vizio smart TV. Because apart from the unique benefits you will enjoy, it can sometimes be the solution you need for some issues you have encountered while using your Vizio smart TV. Issues such as Wifi not working as expected and the rest.
If SmartCast is not working on your Vizio smart TV, check this article