If you want to learn how to zip files on Windows 10 PC, then this article would show you. We all know it is easy for one’s hard drive to get clustered and disorganized really quickly. Also, with the number of files and large documents on your system, it is easy for you to run out of storage fast. To be able to efficiently manage your space, the best solution is to zip files in windows.
Although a lot of other systems allow you to zip files, for the purpose of this article, we would be focusing on how to zip files in Windows 10. Follow our detailed guide below to achieve this.
How to zip files in Windows 10
Here are various ways to zip and unzip files in Windows 10.
Zip Single Files
In case you want to zip a single file that is probably very huge, then this is the method to use. This file could either be a video shoot you captured using a smartphone or a digital camera. Zipping such huge files would reduce the overall size, thereby maximizing your space. To do this, just follow the steps explained below.
- Start by locating the File Explorer on your Windows 10 taskbar, that is, the folder icon.
- Then, look for the file that needs to be compressed and just right-clicks on it.
- Select the Send to option on the menu.
- Afterward, select Compressed (zipped) folder in the next menu you would see.
- Finally, rename your new ZIP file, and press the Enter key.
Zip Multiple Files
When it comes to multiple files, the procedure is a little different. This is a great way to cram files together for organizational reasons. Zipping multiple files together is a good way to send files and also to keep all of them together. This will also help you to free a lot of space on your hard drive. To do this, follow the steps explained below.
- Start by locating your File Explorer on your Windows 10 taskbar, that is, the folder icon.
- Once again, navigate to the files that need to be compressed.
- Then, select all the files by holding down your mouse button while you drag the pointer across your screen. All of the files that have been successfully selected would be highlighted in a light blue color.
- Once you have finished selecting all the files, you can now release the mouse button and right-click on the selected files.
- Then select the send to on the menu and click on the Compressed (zipped) folder, which you will see in the next menu.
- Finally, you can rename your ZIP file and hit the Enter key.
Zip an Entire Folder
You can also decide to zip an entire folder in case you have already placed all the documents that need to be compressed in a file. When they are unpacked, all your files would be unloaded in a folder that would be created during the compression process. To do this, follow the steps explained below.
- Once again, you would start by navigating to your File Explorer on your Windows 10 taskbar, that is, the folder icon.
- Then just locate the folder you would like to compress into a single zip file and right-click on it.
- Afterward, select Send to on the menu click on the Compressed (zipped) folder option, which you will see in the next menu.
- Finally, rename the new ZIP file and hit the Enter key.
Unpack a Zip File
Now, we would show you how to unpack a zip file on your Windows 10. Since Windows 10 makes use of algorithms to scan your files, remove repetitive information temporarily, and create new files that are smaller in size, have new file extensions. To do this, follow the steps explained below.
- Again, begin by locating your File Explorer on your Windows 10 taskbar, that is, the folder icon.
- Then, find the file that needs to be decompressed and right-click on it.
- Next, select the Extract all option on the menu.
- Then, on the next pop-up screen, you would see, select you would like Windows 10 to unload the files.
- After choosing the location, click on the Select Folder.
- You can now finally click on the Extract button.
However, you can also revert the file to its former state. Windows 10 would scan the file. Then, it will see what has been removed and would insert the repetitive information into the file again. You will now have your unpacked zip file.
You should also read on how to open RAR files on Windows and Mac here.
Now that you know how to zip a file in Windows 10, you can easily perform these procedures to keep your PC better organized and to also maximize the storage space on your hard drive. You can also decide to unpack the files at your will and compress them again. In case you have challenges following these steps, let us know in the comments below.