Upgrading my Windows 8 IdeaPad to Windows 10 is one of the hardest decisions of recent. I wanted to stick with Windows 7 but Microsoft pushed us out and forced Windows 10 on us. And, we are looking at how to install Windows 10 S mode on some of our PCs.
However, since the Windows 10 S mode was developed and launched for Windows 10 users in the educational sector, we are going to deem it fit to show you how to download and install the Windows 10 S mode for your educational purpose.
Microsoft doesn’t just build the Windows 10 Mode S version. They built it to improve productivity as Windows 10 Stakes about 15 seconds to complete booting.
That is super fast and would help your operating device work faster and load at almost the speed of the light.
Because of these notable reasons, we will discuss how to download Windows 10 S Mode and install it on your operating device for those that want to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 S or from a lesser version.
Prerequisite to Windows 10 S Mode Installation
Although the process to download and install the Windows 10 S Mode is straightforward but there are some prerequisites that you need to know before you proceed to upgrade or override your Windows OS with the Windows 10 S.
Despite the fact the Windows 10 S and other Windows 10 editions are similar, the Windows S has some restrictions that you need to put into consideration before you proceed to upgrade to Windows.
However, it is worth noting that the Windows 10 S has no restriction on your access to download apps from the Microsoft apps store directly from your Windows.
- Windows 10 S default internet browser is Microsoft Edge.
- Unlike other Windows OS editions, the default search engine for the S Mode version is bing. This may be a turn-off for you if you prefer to use Google.
- All customer drivers will be rendered useless as they might not be compatible with the Windows S Mode.
- If your operating device is win32 it might not work. And try to force the Windows 10 S installer on it can let use lose your data, personal settings, and all software that are installed on the old operating system
- If you are a game lover such as PS4 or Xbox or PES don’t hesitate to upgrade to Windows S Mode because the educational Windows OS won’t let you play games on the operating device because the S Mode is programmed to focus on assignments, studying, and projects.
The Windows 10 S Mode is the type of OS parents should endeavor to install on their child(ren) computer to reduce the number of times they spend playing games on their computers.
The major drawback would want you to think twice before switching to the Windows S installer to override the Windows OS on your operating device.
Windows 10 S Support Installations
The S Mode Windows OS installer is available for varieties of Windows OS versions. And the S Mode installer download is available for the following Windows OS installations.
- Windows 10 Pro
- Windows 10 Enterprise
- Windows 10 Education
- Windows 10 Pro Education.
If you are running the Windows 10 N edition and Windows 10 Home the Windows S installer will not upgrade it.
Backup your (your) Windows OS
Once you have decided to upgrade to the Windows 10 S Mode ensure you backup your previous OS and all settings so that you can restore to the previous OS if things go haywire.
Follow the steps below to do a backup of your Windows computer to external storage.
- Connect the external storage or drive or USB to your computer.
- Go to your Windows Settings.
- Select “Update & Security.”
- Highlight Backup and click on the Enter button.
- Scroll to look for an old backup and select “Go to backup and restore.”
- Scroll to backup and select Set up Backup to the right of the backup page.
- Select the external storage or removable device you want to back up the PC to from the list available.
- Select “Next” to proceed.
- On What do you want to back up select Let me Choose and select the Next tab.
- Select all necessary files under the File Data.
- Check the Local Dis (C:) under computer.
- Also, select the option to Include a system of drives: System Reserved, (C:) option and click on the Next tab to continue.
- Highlight the Change Schedule and set it to run back up now instead of schedule.
Run the backup and ensure that the backup process is completed.
Windows 10 S Mode Installer
There are three options to choose from when you want to install Windows 10 S Mode.
- Free trial
- Conversion or upgrade to the Windows S from other educational Windows OS.
- Clean Installation (an activation key is required).
The following process will describe the steps to take to install Windows 10 S Mode following the stated methods above.
Install Windows S Mode Free Trial
To download and install the Windows S free trial, you would have to depend on the Microsoft virtual machine which will help you to determine what will work for your PC bit. Therefore, we recommend that you should check the Window 10 Enterprise ISO download source.
This might not require an activation code or bother you to activate the installation as the installer download both the Windows 10 and Windows S trial version.
Upgrade to Windows S Mode
This works on all the Windows educational OS versions which include the Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Education, and Windows 10 Enterprise. So, if your system is running on any of these OS, the following steps will walk you through how to upgrade to the Windows S Mode from any of the Windows stated.
- Download the Windows S installer to your PC following this link.
- Click on the link to download the S-Mode installer. The Windows S Mode download will download Windows10SInstaller5932.exe to your PC.
- Find the downloaded Windows S Mode installer and double-click on it to start the installation process.
- Wait for a couple of seconds for the Windows installer to request an administrative right. Select yes to proceed.
- Wait for the installer to check for the Windows OS compatibility functions such as the memory, CPU, and the minimum disk space that is required.
- If all the requirements are in place, the device will tell you that you can proceed with the installation.
- This installation process may take a few minutes or hours depending on the progress or speed of your device.
- During this process do not turn off or disconnect your PC from the power source.
- Once the installation process is complete the PC will restart itself and display a welcome screen for the setup.
To finalize the process, navigate Windows10SInstaller5932.exe >> Next button >> Restart after complete installation >>Setup page.